IGNORED

my new bike trailer.

Snarley Bill

latest update on my trailer and a few questions. got my harbor freight trailer with 12" wheels. narrowed the frame to 18 1/2", and shortened it 3 1/2". i welded the frame together instead of bolting. the frame is at the sandblaster. i bought a neat plastic locking box at lowes and my cooler will go on the front. going to take one leaf out of the springs,and mount the axle on top of the springs to lower it. it should work out great and will look factory made. just ordered a hitch for my v-star 1300. so far i think the whole job less hitch will be about $350.00. now the questions, since i have never pulled a trailer. do i need safety chains? any worry pulling in the rain? will the hitch coupler tilt enough so it won't bind on the side stand or in the curves? what air pressure should i run in the 480 12 tires? any other conditions that i have to worry about. pics will follow when i get it done. bill :2133:

latest update on my trailer and a few questions. got my harbor freight trailer with 12" wheels. narrowed the frame to 18 1/2", and shortened it 3 1/2". i welded the frame together instead of bolting. the frame is at the sandblaster. i bought a neat plastic locking box at lowes and my cooler will go on the front. going to take one leaf out of the springs,and mount the axle on top of the springs to lower it. it should work out great and will look factory made. just ordered a hitch for my v-star 1300. so far i think the whole job less hitch will be about $350.00. now the questions, since i have never pulled a trailer. do i need safety chains? any worry pulling in the rain? will the hitch coupler tilt enough so it won't bind on the side stand or in the curves? what air pressure should i run in the 480 12 tires? any other conditions that i have to worry about. pics will follow when i get it done. bill :2133:

Yes you need safety chains, no worries in the rain, don't NEED a swivel hitch, start with 25 lbs in the tires.

I have had mine a few years same harbor freight deal and i have never had a problem pulling it without the swivel, years back a buddy had one with the swivel and he clipped a curb, well because of the swivel it totally flipped the trailer and cause one heck of a wreck ( he was fine, bike and trailer werent) so my personal feelings are i would rather the hitch bind if needed and keep everything rubber side down then run the chance of flipping it just my 2 cents

Bill doing similar here with 12" HF cutdown... Experiment with tire pressure 20 to 25 lbs. I hate to tell ya you WILL want to remove the second spring so you have just one spring (the big one) I jump up and down on (one Spring) I weight 205 lbs and barley move it. Also not sure if you put some Camper Weather Stripping or Truck Topper Stripping wide rubber with sticky on one side... this will absorb road vibrations and bumps between topper and trailer bed, thus adding to the ABS Life of your topper.

2 cents... :thumbsup2:

Edited by frogmaster
spelling

Bill doing similar here with 12" HF cutdown... Experiment with tire pressure 20 to 25 lbs. I hate to tell ya you WILL want to remove the second spring so you have just one spring (the big one) I jump up and down on (one Spring) I weight 205 lbs and barley move it. Also not sure if you put some Camper Weather Stripping or Truck Topper Stripping wide rubber with sticky on one side... this will absorb road vibrations and bumps between topper and trailer bed, thus adding to the ABS Life of your topper.

2 cents... :thumbsup2:

thanks, good suggestions. :)

I did the same to my HF trailer cut and weld and extended the frame to match box set up. Except I removed the two leaf springs and set my air to 25 PSI and carried around 400lbs of stuff on the trailer with no problems. OH Also I used a piece of garden hose to cover the bolts where the leaf springs ride on, it keeps the noise down on rough roads. I never had any worries with my trailer expect Peg, I just about scared her to deaf in Eureka Springs in 2007 I was taking those curves in a hard lean on our 83 Venture and never had a problem with the trailer or the hitch. never knew it was back there, except for Peg she kept poking me in the sides..

Buddy

I have a store bought one with a swivel hitch, and know for a fact those little rims 8" in my case don't like curbs. I hit one at a very low speed and it did flip over and made us fall. We didn't get hurt and very slight damage to the bike. Back to your question, depending on what your hauling and weight you have in it, might take a little longer to stop, it does me anyway, just take that in consideration when braking. Be safe and shinny side up always.

Congrates on the new trailer and before someone else asks WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! LOL

Have fun and enjoy!

Oh BTW is this a misprint? narrowed the frame to 18 1/2",

Now that is narrow. Maybe it is supposed to be narrowed the frame by 18 1/2 "

Bubber

Bill,

I just pulled my harbor frieght trailer with a sears car top carrier on it to Freebirds, (MD), and back to Huntsville.

I started with 25 lbs of air the NEW 8 inch tires..

Arriving in southern ohio, I noticed the tread was wearing down fast in the center of tire.

I lowered the air to 15 lbs..

On my way home, around southern Ky, I noticed the center of both tires were getting bald and yet lots of good tread were on both outer edges of both tires..

I lowered the air down to 10 lbs...and that is what is in them right now.

I had all my tools luggage, two fold up chairs, spare tire and jack, cooler, and lots of other junk in the trailer too.

The guy got the trailer from removed two of the the three leaf springs and then he made special angle brackets and installed two mini shock absorbers.

I do not have a swivel hitch and at 80 MPH, I could nto tell the trailer was behind me and I never felt the hitch "bottom out" on a side to side motion on any of the curves from here to there and back.

I had to keep reminding myself it was back there so that I did not cut a corner to tight.

Congrates on the new trailer and before someone else asks WHERE ARE THE PICTURES! LOL

Have fun and enjoy!

Oh BTW is this a misprint? narrowed the frame to 18 1/2",

Now that is narrow. Maybe it is supposed to be narrowed the frame by 18 1/2 "

Bubber

no misprint, i cut 21 1/2 inches out of the frame width.the overall tread width will be about 30".:)