IGNORED

Fuel Filter Replacement & plastic surgery

Probably an old thread but for a part that requires frequent replacement (owners manual)

This is incredible. I have spent over an hour and am only more frustrated. I can see it ,I can barely get two fingers on the top and wiggle it bit --what ever is holding the boot (which I can't see, won't budge and I am afraid to muscle it.

There was another black rubber clip above it which O removed from a bright metal clip

but that did not help and now I can't get a hold of that to put it back on.

All three access panels are off// fuel pump is unbolted and slack -battery is out

What the heck gives--

I have not removed the coolant contanier yet--and am now looking for a cutting torch.

This is nuts especially since all wrenching to get to it was so easy.

I only have the (just enough info to get ya in trouble) owners manual.

The doctor has told me the stitches in my hand can come out in 6 weeks but the bump on my forehead from hitting my head against the wall may take longer.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help

Thanks in advance--Ed--2000 venture salsa red:think:

Probably an old thread but for a part that requires frequent replacement (owners manual)

This is incredible. I have spent over an hour and am only more frustrated. I can see it ,I can barely get two fingers on the top and wiggle it bit --what ever is holding the boot (which I can't see, won't budge and I am afraid to muscle it.

There was another black rubber clip above it which O removed from a bright metal clip

but that did not help and now I can't get a hold of that to put it back on.

All three access panels are off// fuel pump is unbolted and slack -battery is out

What the heck gives--

I have not removed the coolant contanier yet--and am now looking for a cutting torch.

This is nuts especially since all wrenching to get to it was so easy.

I only have the (just enough info to get ya in trouble) owners manual.

The doctor has told me the stitches in my hand can come out in 6 weeks but the bump on my forehead from hitting my head against the wall may take longer.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help

Thanks in advance--Ed--2000 venture salsa red:think:

Hi Ed, I just changed my fuel filter and I feel for you.. however it's simple to change if you take your time and think of your path.. (the path of least resistance..) When you need to change your fuel filter, it's easier to toss your bike off a cliff and buy a new one.. ;)

(turn pet cock to OFF)

To change the filter, you need to pull both side covers off and loosen the front cover between them.. watch the routing of the hoses and loosen them off. You'll have to unbolt the fuel pump (left side of bike) by the two top bolts.. get a bunch of rags and carefully pull the hose off the top of the fuel filter, catching the fuel coming out of it. Then, with the fuel pump loose in your hand, undo the hose going to the filter.. now you can move the fuel pump out of the way so your hand can reach in and touch the bottom of the fuel filter..

Now the fun part.. with one hand pulling from under and the other hand pushing from the top, you can now slide that filter out through the bottom of it's holder and out to the left side of the bike.. you should at this point be left holding the old filter with a short bent piece of hose on the bottom end of it.. Clean the filter off before pulling the hose off of it lest you introduce dirt into the fuel line..

Swap the hose onto new filter, ensure you have it pointing in the right direction.. and reverse the procedure.. slide the filter up through the bottom of the sleeve holder and voila, it will go nicely into place.. and reinstall everything else..

Keep in mind that when you disconnect fuel hoses, you will have residual fuel coming out so be prepared to catch that fuel lest you have a mess on your hands.

The whole process doesn't take long once you get the hang of it.. after I did mine I went and changed my friends' fuel filters as they couldn't figure it out either.. Now, the next time I am going to be doing mine I'll be rigging it up so that the fuel filter is sitting in a more accessible position.. Some people have put inline fuel filters with cleanable elements in them but I'll simply reposition mine.. all it takes is a little bit of extra hose..

best of luck..

Kind of really hard to describe, but the filter sits in a rubber sleeve and the rubber sleeve has a slot that slides over a metal tab. I do not remember which way the rubber sleeve slides, up, left or right :confused24:

But once you slide the rubber sleeve off the metal tab, just slide the filter out.

First - I AM NOT a mechanic.

Second - It took me about an hour to locate, remove and extend the filter. It now lays horizontal under the seat. a Short length of copper and 2 extra clamps that I had in one of the bins.

Third- the hardest part was getting stuff out of the way. I was wiling to bet that the center cover WAS NOT going back in place but I managed to do it. Also the 2 chrome allen head bolts on the center cover are for SHOW only, don't bother to loosen them. I got lucky and the nut for one of them fell thru to the floor.

Fourth - don't forget to turn the petcock OFF. (don't ask me why)

hi ed

it's kinda like sleeperhawk said. when i changed out my filter i had the seat off, and all 3 covers. i did not loosen the fuel pump or remove the battery. it is a tight fit the fuel filter sets in a rubber o-ring /groment. i belive i pulled the filter stright up to remove it from the rubber o-ring /groment. but i took the hose clamps off both ends of the filter. when i replaced the filter i used a 1/4" brass nipple extension, a couple of inches long ( i could be wrong on the fuel line size). this brass nipple is what sets down into the o-ring /groment holder to relocate the filter up higher towards the seat. i did not replace the filter into the rubber o-ring /groment. now i can replace the filter with out goimg thru all that monkyee motion.

don c.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have done it once it will not be that hard. I will probably still remove all three covers and the fuel pump just to make it easier for my fat arthretic fingers.

But yust wanted to thank everyone.The old one looked like original equipment.

Didn't look like a bolt head had been touched.It didn't solve the no idle off choke issue but its one more thing done.

Thanks to all

ED:thumbsup:

Now that I have done it once it will not be that hard. I will probably still remove all three covers and the fuel pump just to make it easier for my fat arthretic fingers.

But yust wanted to thank everyone.The old one looked like original equipment.

Didn't look like a bolt head had been touched.It didn't solve the no idle off choke issue but its one more thing done.

Thanks to all

ED

If nothing else replacing your filter will avoid the fuel starvation issues I had recently.. This coming winter I will be relocating that filter in an easy to reach spot to make it easier to change..