Do the passing lamps make opening the fairing more difficult?

Yes they do. Someone makes a spacer block that can be used that brings them out several inches and allows for just loosening the bolts so the lights drop forward a little to allow removal of the faring. If you don't have the spacer you have to remove the light bar.

Do yourself a favor and get the spacer - it is worth its weight in gold. I don't even need to loosen any bolts on the passing lamps or spacer to split the fairing.

If you have the chrome visor on your headlight, that makes for a tight fit when splitting the fairing. It's a delicate maneuver, but the front half of the fairing slips right off.

Do yourself a favor and get the spacer - it is worth its weight in gold. I don't even need to loosen any bolts on the passing lamps or spacer to split the fairing.

If you have the chrome visor on your headlight, that makes for a tight fit when splitting the fairing. It's a delicate maneuver, but the front half of the fairing slips right off.

Just ordered one.. for the cost, it's well worth the lack of aggravation when you take off the fairing.. !

• 2 months later...

I just had my Star Passing Lamps installed at my local Yamaha Dealer due to my lack of patience with wiring things up.

While checking them out....I noted they were ON when the headlight beam was in Normal position but OFF when flipped the switch to BRIGHT.

Is this the way they're supposed to operate? If so, what is the logic of turning them off when the high beam is in operation???

Thanks a million.

Ride ON !!

TE:Venture:

I just had my Star Passing Lamps installed at my local Yamaha Dealer due to my lack of patience with wiring things up.

While checking them out....I noted they were ON when the headlight beam was in Normal position but OFF when flipped the switch to BRIGHT.

Is this the way they're supposed to operate? If so, what is the logic of turning them off when the high beam is in operation???

Thanks a million.

Ride ON !!

TE:Venture:

Yes, by most state laws. Problem with them being wired like that is if the HL fuse blows you lose "ALL LIGHTS" on the bike except the brake. Not a fun situation to be in at night on a dark road.

... if you don't have the spacer you have to remove the light bar.

Maybe I'm just that special, but I do not need to remove my passing lamps to remove the fairing and I do NOT have the spacer in mine (although I would like to get it). I DO need to loosen up the bolts, but I do not need to take them all the way out.

I have had my fairing on and off MANY times in the last few weeks...

It is the Yamaha light bar and I have the visor on all of my lights (including the headlamp).

EDIT: Oops, I just saw the date on the original question and you have already purchased the spacer so this is probably irrelevant.

Edited by LilBeaver
Just saw date on original posting...