I see some people swapping out the front end of their MKI for the MKII front to get the newer anti-dive system. Other than the MKII being electronically controlled, what makes the MKII better than the MKI?

I think the main reason folks are doing the swap is for the newer braking, not the AD's. From what Bongobob posted the AD's are interchangeble, so there's no need to swap out the front forks.

I think the main reason folks are doing the swap is for the newer braking, not the

AD's

. From what

Bongobob

posted the

AD's

are

interchangeble

, so there's no need to swap out the front forks.

I swapped mine a few weeks ago. As has been said, improved brakes, smoother ride and better anti-dives. I had unhooked my hydraulic anti-dives on my 83 for better braking but it made the front end bottom out so badly when braking that I had to do something. I ran into a bargain and bought the complete front end including master cylinder off an 86 or 87.

Dick

Really? Do the rear calipers also have 4 pistons then? I assume we have to change the forks due to a bolt pattern difference? Aren't the rotors on the MKII smaller? The reason I ask is because a couple years ago I aquired chrome rotor & caliper covers. If I remember right, the rotor cover wouldn't fit because they were to small and the caliper covers wouldn't fit because a different bolt pattern. Better brakes sure would come in handy when pulling the trailer. I had also thought about VMax ring & pinion for better low end power for the same reason and for if I am ever able to get a hack.

Really? Do the rear calipers also have 4 pistons then? I assume we have to change the forks due to a bolt pattern difference? Aren't the rotors on the MKII smaller? The reason I ask is because a couple years ago I aquired chrome rotor & caliper covers. If I remember right, the rotor cover wouldn't fit because they were to small and the caliper covers wouldn't fit because a different bolt pattern. Better brakes sure would come in handy when pulling the trailer. I had also thought about VMax ring & pinion for better low end power for the same reason and for if I am ever able to get a hack.

The 86-93 are ..edited.. four piston rear calipers, but since the rear brakes only contribute 20-30% of the total stopping power I wouldn't worry about doing the conversion. The gain wouldn't be worth it. You're right, there is a bolt pattern difference between the forks. 8?mm on the MkI and 100mm on the MkII. So to change out the calipers the forks will also need to be changed.

Edited by Condor

I agree, the rear isn't worth thw trouble-

Also, the "new" front rotor ARE a little bit smaller in diameter. But the calipers are MUCH bigger and the disks have slot in them (but not the hollow design the the early ones).

I'm making the switch because I wanted better brakes. I had such poor spongy brakes (when I got the bike), I didn't want the anti-dive contributing to the hydraulic problems. I'm also dumping the split brake system (for the simplified "regular" brake system used on most bikes. My system "part" are based off the RoyalStar brake system.

PS- Is there no "fuel level" gauge on the Venture (plain wrap)?:crying:

Thanks,

Mark Koontz

'83 Venture

Wichita, KS

I would have to disagree. IMHO, a 20-30% increase would be plenty for me to go through the trouble. Every little bit helps.

Now I have to wonder if the solid drilled rotors on the MKII would be more or less prone to warpage.

I'll have to keep my eye open for the parts to make the upgrade on my 84. Maybe when i find them, I'll have the money to fork over for them at the same time. Going to school in order to get myself back to work, dosen't leave much mad money.

If you want more braking power I would suggest going to the SS brake lines when looking to stop quicker. Rocket changed mine out over the winter and I couldnt beleive the difference with the stock calipers and rotors! It is like a new bike , i can lock up front or back brake when doing a panic stop, and that is with my antidive and linked brakes hooked up properly on my 85.

You bike is about 25 years old and those rubber lines are probably ready to go anyway, why take the chance of a line blowing and go to stainless?

Brian :2cents:

The MK2 rear calipers are 4 piston just like the front, not 2 piston. You have to swap out the caliper mounting arm and do a little bit of McGuiver'ing or get the swivel from a MK2 swing arm for attaching the mount arm to the swing arm...

The MK2 rear calipers are 4 piston just like the front, not 2 piston. You have to swap out the caliper mounting arm and do a little bit of McGuiver'ing or get the swivel from a MK2 swing arm for attaching the mount arm to the swing arm...

Yeah that^ My bad. Just counted one side.... :) That's what I get for spending half the night in emergency with my wife.....

He is not saying a 20-30% increase in effectiveness, he is saying the rear brake contributes only about 20-30% of overall brakeing.

RandyA

LOL! I guess I can't read! That makes much more since. Thanks for pointing out my stupidity. I thought that was my better halves job to do.:hihi:

Here' the best upgrade to a 1200.Get rid of the unified brakes,get a a 5/8"(16.5mm) bore front master.A late model Virago 750 or 1100 master fits fine. Junk the old rubber lines...go to SS. You'll be glad you did. Also you don't need the hydraulic anti-dive if you have Progessive springs.