IGNORED

Maintenance Day, Friday Special Pre-event?

V7Goose

Just throwing this out to see if we have any takers...

I plan on getting into Don's on Thursday, so that leaves Friday mostly open (just have one tire change planned). If anyone will be there who is interested in having their carb floats set (2nd gen), I'd be happy to do a clinic on that.

I've been thinking about this for a while, but decided that it was a bit too involved for normal maintenance day since it takes several hours to pull the carbs and put them back. But if we have folks interested on Friday, maybe that will work? Lemme know...

Goose

Sounds good to me. Actually, Bob Dakin has asked me about pulling his carbs and checking the floats. We were planning on doing it on another day because it takes a bit of time. Do you need a donor bike? I'm sure he would be willing.

Also, you may appreciate knowing that I have picked up a portable canopy that will be setup in the driveway. We won't have to do everything under the hot sun. :)

I Like to sync throtle bodies on my Stratoliner, if somebody know how. Its not big deal, but I never done that before. I'll try to get some info about Strat, if we can doit that's OK, if we can't that's ok too. I'll be working on Leadwoolf's RSV trailer wiring.

Found This web site with electrical components. there are hi end and many choices for waterproof connectors. here is link:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

on Friday I would be interested in doing the floats on my bike. I have the bike up now with the wheels off and I am going to grease everything now and do a few other things. I was going to wait for Don to help with the floats but that would be great of we can do it then.

Bob

Folks, I will just ask you to please read Kent's first post. This is a clinic to show folks HOW it is done. I can tell you from having done my own, this is not something that we can do for everybody in the time that we have allotted. Pulling the carbs, setting the floats, re-installing them takes a bit of time and it's just not a job that we can have people lined up for and have time to get done. I think what Kent is saying is that we can do a set as an educational clinic so that people can do it when they get back home.

Kent can correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe he is a lot faster at it than I am.

This goes not only for setting carb floats but for any major jobs. Maintenance day is about doing small jobs, installing some accessories, things that can be done relatively quickly. We have, in the past, tackled some projects that were really much larger than we should have and there was just not really enough time for some of them.

The plan this year is to cut off the work on the bikes around 4:00-4:30 or so. This will hopefully give us some time to rest up, visit a little bit and for those who wish to do so, take a group ride of some kind. We have worked on bikes so late in the past that many of us were just too worn out to actually go on a ride.

I will do the work with a little guidance and I will also be setting up the ride on Saturday afternoon. Of coarse last time I led this group we ran into 3 road closings and we all had to turn around. I expect more bikes this time so hopefully we don't have any detours or closings. I would like to make one suggestion, if you have a GPS, you should mark your hotel location when you arrive. Last time we had folks going in different directions after the ride and some left the ride early. this will help you get back on your own.

Folks, I will just ask you to please read Kent's first post. This is a clinic to show folks HOW it is done. I can tell you from having done my own, this is not something that we can do for everybody in the time that we have allotted. Pulling the carbs, setting the floats, re-installing them takes a bit of time and it's just not a job that we can have people lined up for and have time to get done. I think what Kent is saying is that we can do a set as an educational clinic so that people can do it when they get back home.

Kent can correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe he is a lot faster at it than I am.

You got it right. I was talking about helping someone do one bike and having anyone else interested watch. We have lots of pictures of this in the tech library already, so that isn't a big goal, but wouldn't hurt if someone wanted to document it that way too.

If more than one person wants to have their floats done, they could work on their own bike at the same time. As long as they don't need any more than a few pointers on pulling the carbs and putting them back in, it shouldn't be a problem. Once the carbs are out, setting the floats on the bench is pretty simple. The limiting factor is probably how much room we have for multiple people to work on their own bikes at the same time.

Goose

If you can set the float levels on a 2nd gen you could do it on a 1st Gen?? This is something I need to learn. I'm one of those that are scared of carbs. Don't like to mess with them if I don't have to.

Well, I know zero about those old antiques, but I'm guessing the carbs are pretty much the same. If so, setting the float level is simple if you have a shop manual that specifies the proper level. The unknown part for me is how to pull the carbs on that bike.

I actually don't like "messing" with carbs either, especially without the right test equipment to get all the settings correct instead of guessing! But I have learned a lot about it over time. The good thing about checking/setting the float levels is that it can be done without touching anything else. If you find the float levels way off, then you might want to consider having the carbs properly set later with an exhaust gas analyzer, but if you check them and they are good, you can just slap it all back together and know nothing else will have changed from when you started.

If the carb settings seem all messed up (based on reading the plugs), then we can still get them set reasonably close with either a color tune or just a tach. We can demonstrate that, too (I have an audio tach on my laptop that can be used for bikes without a tach). Of course, that assumes there is nothing else wrong with the carbs!

Goose

I have no idea what time - probably mid-day? But it would be good for someone to call it so others could plan on attending if they want. I'll be there all day, so the time is unimportant to me (and it is not my bike we would be working on). The sooner we start, the more time we would have to mess with carb settings after we are done if someone needs to.

And yes, bring your tach - I'm sure we will have lots of use for it over the weekend!

Goose

If you are thinking about adjusting your carb floats (this includes whoever is going to have the primary clinic bike and anyone else who may decide to do theirs along with us), PLEASE come prepared with a can of spray carb cleaner! You absolutely will want it to clean up the outside of the carbs before we pop the bowls off (and maybe inside the bowls too). Let's not expect to use any of the supplies that Don may have around there, OK?

Goose

I have a Color-Tune but have trouble using the thing. It takes me a little time for each cylinder and it gets too hot to handle the thing. With cooldown time it takes quite a while to do all 4 cylinders. Is there a way to do this?

I have a Color-Tune but have trouble using the thing. It takes me a little time for each cylinder and it gets too hot to handle the thing. With cooldown time it takes quite a while to do all 4 cylinders. Is there a way to do this?

Can you use 4 colortunes at one time? If so, I can bring mine and that'll be 2 of the 4 needed.

Kent, I would VERY much love to see the this carb work done. I wish it could be my bike done, but it scares me to go that deep into the bike while 6hrs away from home with no other transportation.

I will try to adjust our scheduled departure so we can be there by noon to see this work. ( a 2pm start would be helpful.)

i am excited to watch, and excited to be at MX day, and excited to see old and new friends, and

Did I Say that I am EXCITED!

Edited by wkboard
2pm suggestion.

I'd be interested in changing my spark plugs, but don't know if the job is too big for maintenance day. Comments?

David

You get the plugs and I will show you how to do it and how to tighten the plugs correctly. If you are interested we could also check your spline grease and so forth. Let me know what you wanna do!