Has anyone installed an Osram, or equivalent, H4 80/100 watt bulb in their 1st or 2nd edition yamaha? Just curious if anyone has and if they had any issues. I installed one in my Harley Davidson Ultra and wow, what a great bulb. Very noticeably out performs the popular Silverstar everyone is raving about. However, these 80/100's are marked "Off-Road Only", but......

I've used them and I like them. However, stock wiring is sketchy for the 100W load. I'm aware of more than one case where the plug was partially melted and/or there were wire problems using this type of bulb. I won't do it anymore unless I modify the light to run off a relay.

Silver Star bulbs improve the lighting somewhat without increasing current draw, but I have found they don't last very long.

Jeremy

Have you ever thought about the oncoming traffic? Just because you feel comfortable with the lumen output and can see far down the road, think about the person coming toward you who is blinded by your light. That person may wind up in your lane. I will stay with legal light output, thank you.

Just an old fart! :hurts:

Just because it is brighter doesn't mean the direction of the beam will change. On low beam it shouldn't hinder anyones ability to see and should only improve mine. And with on-coming traffic, it will not be on high. Thanks for the info/and do as you wish.

I found a Osram 100/90w bulb but not a 100/80w.

While looking, there is also a 75/70w, and an 85/80w that will still give more light than stock but be a little easier on your electrical system.

Lots of options here

I used to run the 100/55w on an old Yamaha 650, so that my electrical load was normal for most of my driving but I had the power to see once I got away from the city lights. I could not run the High beam for more than about 45 minutes without switching back to low beam for a while to recharge the battery. One interesting thing with this bulb that I had to be ready for was that it took about a second for the high beam to come on, so when I switch from low to high I was in the dark for a good second. A second can seem like a very long time at 70MPH.

Edited by Flyinfool