IGNORED

Is there a clutch adjustment?

I have noticed that the clutch is starting to engage with the lever just barely off the grip. Also the bike tries to move forward if I start the engine in gear, with the clutch lever pulled all the way back, but does not move after the engine starts.

It shifts fine and does not try to creep while I'm stopped at a traffic light, nor does it leak down while I'm waiting for the light to change. It just appears that an adjustment is needed. I have downloaded the repair manual for my bike (1998 RSTC) and cannot find any mention of adjustment.

Suggestions anyone?

Based on the RSV design, there is no clutch adjustment to speak of. It sounds like you may need to change the clutch fluid and bleed the system. I suggest getting a SpeedBleeder for the clutch and it will make changing the fluid much easier.

RR

First thing first, Bleed thru All of the old fluid. Replace it all.

When you have cover off Resovoiur, there are two very small holes, in bottom, make sure they are BOTH, open. One is easy to see, the other is so small its hard to see.

After bleeding, it should work OK. If not, you will have to rebuild the Master Cylinder, and Replace, or rebuild the Slave cylinder.

My new 2008 RSTD does exactly the same thing. I found out that the clutch has no adjustment; and, because it's hydraulic, needs some warm up for the fluid to flow sufficiently for the clutch to open. Only answer I've found is to always park in "neutral" (to avoid the "forward creep), and to get used to the clutch play. No service needed on my unit. Good luck! :2cents:

The easy Thing you need to do to avoid creeping forward is to pull the Clutch Lever and held it for 2 or 3 Seconds before you start the Motor, and/or don't start the Bike in Gear. It's the Cohesion Force between Clutch Plates and Motor Oil.