1. Remove the gas tank
  2. Remove the two forward engine dog bones under the forward side of the gas tank

Now you can get to the front ones.

• The rear ones I removed the drivers seat and made sure I had all the access room I needed.

While we are on this topic. The owners maintenance schedule calls for changing spark plugs every year or 8,000 miles. That seems to be very soon/often.

So I am wondering what other riders are really doing in this regard, and what type plugs seek to work best. I've usually used NGKs in previous bikes.

I changed my plugs for the first time this past winter at 16,000 on my 06 RSV. I am sure the plugs could have gone a lot more. I agree the 8,000 mile recommendation is wasteful especially with what you must do to get them. Since the stock plug (NGK) worked very well I simply replaced with the same plug. I bought them however at the local NAPA store instead of at the dealer. Much cheaper. Since I had the tank off for other 16,000 mile maintenance work it made sense to change the plugs at the time. :2cents:

• 8 months later...
  1. Remove the gas tank
  2. Remove the two forward engine dog bones under the forward side of the gas tank

Now you can get to the front ones.

• The rear ones I removed the drivers seat and made sure I had all the access room I needed.

I had to dismount the rear brake fluid resevior to get the dogbone off the right side. Maybe I would not have needed to if I wanted to use a regular allen wrench, but I was using an allen socket.

While we are on this topic. The owners maintenance schedule calls for changing spark plugs every year or 8,000 miles. That seems to be very soon/often.

So I am wondering what other riders are really doing in this regard, and what type plugs seek to work best. I've usually used NGKs in previous bikes.

I can't say why Yamahaha says to change the plugs every 8,000 miles, as that seems way too often for me, too. My personal preference is to use standard plugs and change them somewhere between 16,000 and 25,000 miles (I do not think the exact interval is important).

If you use platinum or iridium plugs, you should be able to get a minimum of 50,000 between changes, and possibly up to 100,000. The extended change interval is the ONLY benefit from those expensive plugs. I personally find changing the plugs very simple, and I prefer to change them on a regular basis so I can observe the way the engine is running; that is why I do not waste money on special plugs.

Goose

No need to remove the tank

I change my plugs ever spring

1 --- Remove the seat

2 --- Unbolt the remove the 3 bolts holding the tank on

3 --- fold up a towel put it up between the frame and the tank

this will give you clearance to remove the front mounts and

Then you can remove the plugs

I usually blow out any debris that may into the plug hole b4 pulling the plugs

In the pictures I used cut tennis balls.

:happy34::happy34::happy34:

Dave