IGNORED

Helmet Help

Shot

I need another helmet. I have a big head but am thinking about one of those flip up full face helmets. I wonder if it is too hot; I live in North Carolina and it gets pretty warm in the summer. Also, price is an issue since I'm retired and still some of money is going to the stimulus package, so I don't have a lot of extra. I ride a 2004 Venture Royal Star.

Looking for advice here. Thanks.

I ordered a new helmet in the special clearance section last week. Got it already. A nice quality full helmet.

1 HJC CL-SP Barbwire Helmet - MC-2F Flat Black/Blue/Silver, Size XL [$89.00]

from New Enough. also bought an armored jacket at $50

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_sp_barbwire_motorcycle_helmet.html

If you buy from them, when you check out there is a place to donate $1 to this forum, which the dealer will contribute (doesn't cost you the $1)

Just ordered this on Friday for the hubby. Price : $108.00

People on here thought it was a pretty good deal.

It's a flip up chin bar/face sheild.

HJC CL-Max Solid Helmet

Shell features:

• Wind tunnel tested aerodynamic, lightweight shell
  • Injection molded Thermoplastic
  • Channeled expended poly-styrene liner
  • One-handed operation for easy opening and closing of chin bar/face shield

Interior Features:

• Comfortable removable Nylex liner and cheek pads
  • Optional cheek pad sizes to achieve a “custom fit”
  • Wrap around neck roll reduces wind noise
  • Double “D” ring chin strap retention system easily secures excess chin strap length

Shield Features:

• Aerodynamic flush mounted quick release shield
  • No screws or tools required for installation or removal
  • Quick and hassle free shield mounting device
  • Cam action spring loaded ratchet system pulls shield inward when closing ensuring a perfect seal every time
  • Shield closure will adjust up to 6mm depending on speed
  • Adjustable ultra violet hard coated shield
  • Seven position positive lock ratchet
  • D.O.T. approved
  • Eyeglass friendly optically correct one piece design with 100% protection from U.V. rays

Venting Features:

• Venting system provides precise air control allowing for multiple opening positions
  • Adjustable top vents and chin vent directs airflow to the left and right rear top exhaust vents
  • Minimal noise level design
  • Channeled lightweight EPS liner and cheek pads allow for maximum internal airflow and improved comfort

Note on Pricing: The pricing on this helmet was lowered because of the competitive pricing of the new IS series of helmets. Our selling prices reflect the price reduction and we are showing the original MSRP for comparison. These are a very good value!

http://www.newenough.com/image/path/563/small/hjc.jpg?1203996015

http://www.newenough.com/image/path/3318/small/Default.jpg?1203995356

http://www.newenough.com/images/magnify.gif?1238707184

http://www.newenough.com/image/path/3319/thumb/Default.jpg?1203995871

MSRP: $179.99 - $184.99

, Click Here for Pricing

I am also looking for a new helmet that we can put a com set up in and find a com set up that doesnt cost the bank to get for both of us. Whats everybody using and whats the best or just doesnt work to stay away from? thanks guys!! Oh helments and coms both sorry.

I use the VOX in cold weather. I don't so much in the summer because I don't particularly like 3/4 or full helmets. The VOX being modular (flipup), I could use, but I just haven't grabbed it on the way to the bikes. I usually grab the shorty!

The VOX compares well to the HJC and others and has a flip up sunshade as well. $125. Lots of colors (even pink) and the insides are set up to accomodate comm. gear.

http://sterlingtek.com/newdotapvoxf3.html

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82000038/Images/1/SilverRDSG.jpg

I live in Virginia and pretty warm here too. I have a Fulmer Flip Face. Love it and it hasa the extra ear space for speakers. The helmet works well as I just crashed in February. Face and shoulder hit the road first. Helmet stayed latched closed and did it's job. No head injuries of any kind. You can't buy them online, but you can go to their website and find a dealer near you that sells them. $149 for mine and it's silver.

I bought a Vega Summit 2 a few weeks ago. Like it alot, havent got alot of use yet cause of the weather. I got a xxl and it seems to me that it fits well, and there is room between your chin and the front bar. also it sits lower on my head, I tried on an Hjc Cl-max and it felt like my chin stuck out the bottom. All in all i like the summit 2, bought it from helmet express for about 125$. I think you could do alot worse than this helmet, alot worse in fact.

I would recommend not buying a full face modular helmet online. I ended up going through 3 of them before I found one that fit nicely. I was able to try the one I like, and have now, at the motorcycle show in Greenville. Had to order one but at least I was able to try it on. I have a VOX XXL that I will let go cheap.....$40.00. It fits my head but it pushes to hard on my cheeks when the lid is down. Some people say you can get different cheek pads but I couldn't find any. If you can go somewhere and try on a VOX XXL and you like it, let me know and I can send it to you. Looks like new and is gloss black.

--- thinking about one of those flip up full face helmets. I wonder if it is too hot; I live in North Carolina and it gets pretty warm in the summer. Also, price is an issue --- Looking for advice here. Thanks.

Shot - You have lots of other good information, so I will provide a few pennies worth from a different angle. I have used a open face (almost a beanie) for many years. Last year I bought a flip up full face. If you get one with a flip up visor, you will not find it too hot -at least I don't as I can open the visor to get more air, and I can open the flip up if really need to when I am stopped at a light, for example. However, there is another issue you should be aware of. Depending on the design, they can cause a lot of wind noise around the flip up visor on the highway.

I need another helmet. I have a big head but am thinking about one of those flip up full face helmets. I wonder if it is too hot; I live in North Carolina and it gets pretty warm in the summer. Also, price is an issue since I'm retired and still some of money is going to the stimulus package, so I don't have a lot of extra. I ride a 2004 Venture Royal Star.

Looking for advice here. Thanks.

I know what you mean about a big head, I wear a 7 3/4 hat. I live in Texas and wear open face in the summer and full face/modular flip up in the cooler months. Both of mine are Fulmers and I love them. It's the only brand I have been able to find either that were big enough in the 2XL to be comfortable. But you can only purchase them in person at a dealer. They don't sell mail order or on the internet at all. My modular cost me about $150 and the open face cost me $80. You can however view them on the Fulmer web site.

My $.02.

I use a HJC Symax II with a Scala Rider TeamSet.

I suggest folks who buy one prior to wearing one get one size larger than normal. They are a much tighter fit than the previous Symax (my old Symax has been retired after 3 years).

The Scala Rider is fabulous. Buetooth & intercom. Fantastic.

Flip-ups are the only way to go if you ask me. It is invaluable when it gets hot riding around town. Nice to be able to flip it up and get some air and to flip it down if it rains. :)

Easier to put on glasses, too. Although it comes with integrated sunglasses. I wear prescription at night.