Is there a spot to tap into toread oil pressure for a oil pressure gauge? I took out the useless front fairing air ducting and made some great looking covers for where the vents were. I want to add a gauge to each side and figure a oil pressure gauge would be a good addition.

There are 0-20psi Oil pressure gauges out there for the harley guys. I was guessing a 0-80 psi gauge would show almost nothing on a MC engine.

Trying to figure out what to put in the big blank spots to the left and right of the dash now.

I too wanted a gauge to check the oil pressure after I read about all the troubles the Vmax riders have with the bottom oil distribution piping blowing o-rings. This normally only occurs if you rev up the engine too much before it warms up. I figured that it would be a good tool at startup to verify correct oil pump operation. I had also heard that the oil pressure was to low to be usefull, but I went ahead and installed a 0-100 psi. mechanical guage. Since our engines have plain main bearings I knew that a minimum oil pressure had to be maintained to keep the metal to metal contact to a minimum.

I tied the oil pressure sensing line to the gallery plug below the waterpump housing. When I start up the engine the oil pressure runs at almost 80 psi and drops to 25 to 30 psi when warmed up and cruising at 60 MPH (~3200 RPM). At idle it does drop to about 10 psi, but still readable. I'm happy with the results and the guage gives me the proof that the oil system is working properly.

Before I installed the oil pressure guage, I removed the bottom engine cover and cleaned the oil pump pickup strainer and replaced the o-rings on all the metal oil distribution piping.

I took out the useless front fairing air ducting and made some great looking covers for where the vents were.

I have been planning to do just that on my Ventures. Are there any pix you could post of how your dash looks now?

What did you construct the covers from ? I have some gray 1/8" pvc sheet I am thinking of using.

I plan to put a holder for my MP3 player in place of one vent or the other and will mount an amp in places where the vent ducts used to be. I plan to install this with some big glove friendly buttons on the dash as follows: MUTE, Vol UP and Vol DN.

Cheers,

Brian H.