IGNORED

Where do you sleep?

Guest Oldsalt

Guest Oldsalt

I may have not found the obvious but I do need some info on where you stay on extended trips.

Because I am still the primary care-giver for my 91 year old mother, overnight bike trips are out of the question. However, when she passes I am planning on an extended (multi-month) trip through the western USA, travelling back roads and visiting places I have never taken the time to see before. This leads me to the question: What to do about lodging?

Yes, I could stay at motels but averaging $75/night that is $2250/month. Manageable, but not how I want to spend my limited retirement funds. Yes, I could buy one of the trailers/pop-up campers but that is not something I want to haul behind me. And yes, I could mooch off a few friends when available, but that is not something I am wild about doing either. So, that appears to leave 'camping' or at least some version of it as so many of you have referenced. Can anyone point me to a thread, resource, or just your advice on the details of how this works? Keep in mind this all new to me and I am not an experienced camper. (When I used to take extended trips (before care-giving) in an RV, I would pull into Interstate rest stops 3-4 nights and then an RV Park one night to get a quiet night's sleep. Somehow pulling off the road and sleeping on the ground doesn't sound all that appealing to my 68 year old carcass.

I hope I am not asking a stupid or obvious question. I just haven't a clue as to how you folks do extended trips. Thanks,

Oldsalt

Salt,

Small town hotels and Motel6's are usually cheaper. You can also do what Wildhair (Lowell) - VR Ambassador - does; put out a riding schedule and mouch off the inmates here. We are generally pretty good about having an extra bed around. You meet nice folks, often have a hand for any minor maintenance, and often get a meal or two (and an adult beverage or two).

Also, check into the available Bed and Breakfast places on the way. Downside to that is you generally will need reservations and that means you have to stick to a schedule.

I have also heard things about CouchSurfing.com. This is a website for folks to share their lodging for travellers. Never used it though.

Enjoy the trips.

RR

We do the KOA as well. The cabins are nice and you won't have to sleep on the ground. If you do the KOA cabin thing bring a sleeping bag. They don't provide linens unless you pay extra. Also most folks on here would be thrilled to have you visit. So when you get to do this trip make a post on where you intend to head and I'm sure some nights will be taken care of.

Margaret

Motorcycle camping...... There are two ways to do this. and i'll be blunt.

Pull a trailer and be comfortable.

Pack everything on your bike and rough it.

To pack everything on your bike, if you are riding 1up and can pack stuff in the passenger spot, you can bring a lot IF you buy backpacker gear. That means a $250-$500.00 tent $125.00 sleeping bag, and a $79.00 decent inflatable sleeping pad. Plus other gear you need that will pack small. the Coleman junk at most stores is huge compared to the real stuff and are horrible to be inside of during a thunderstorm. A real double wall 4 season tent that is designed to be lived in for extended camping expeditions is what you need.. take a look at the Cabelas tents. when I do a long term camping trip we take the alaskan guide tent. It's as strong as nails and looks like new after 2 years of heavy camping in it and It's warm on cold nights. It packs down to 9" by 30" and fits on the trunk rack. you should get a 3 man minimum for just you. My wife and I use a 6 person tent. If you will not be cooking for yourself and eating at restaurants the whole way you can cut out a LOT of gear. But, you will get caught in a 2-3 day rainstorm on that long of a ride... be prepared to ride through it or to be trapped in the tent for those days. if you can go from KOA to KOA you can wash clothes often and not need as much. Or you can do the rough-rider-biker route and not wash them at all.

basically this spring/summer do a test... pack your bike for what you would need for a weeked trip camping in a tent if that fits easily on your bike, then the doubling of the clothes you need for a month run is easy. Again this is easy to do if you will eat at a resturant for every meal and will not cook your own stuff. Cooking makes things much more complicated and bulky.

If you drag a trailer you can bring a cooler with food and enough extra stuff that you will be as comfortable as car camping across the country.

We do the KOA as well. The cabins are nice and you won't have to sleep on the ground. If you do the KOA cabin thing bring a sleeping bag. They don't provide linens unless you pay extra. Also most folks on here would be thrilled to have you visit. So when you get to do this trip make a post on where you intend to head and I'm sure some nights will be taken care of.

Margaret

Ditto! Great places to stay - large restrooms just across the parking lot - a country store and maybe even a short order restaurant - laundromat - and free Wifi. We will do it again this summer.

Lynn

We try never to stay in any big name motels. There are alot of mom & pop motels out there that are quite resonable. For the two of us the price usally runs no more than $45 a night. We take our own pillows and sheets we pack them in those bags that you roll up to take all the air out. The big name motels are nice but way over priced. Some of the mom & pops are very nice, In the mountains of Wyoming we stayed it one for $42 and we still talk about how it was the best motel that we ever stayed at. Finding one can be part of the adventure of your trip.:D

for the last 5 years, my girlfriend and i have traveled out west for vacations. each trip is about 1 1/2 weeks long....we never plan where we stay, and we usually find a mom and pop hotel for around 40 - 50 bucks.......i do plan the route out before hand and every little town we will go through i get a list of the places to stay, whether it's one place or 50......the web site i use is www.usa-lodging.net....it also gives phone numbers......we just ride until we decide it's about time to stop....look on the back of the map where we are , find the town we want to stay in, and call the hotels/motels etc. , ,get prices and make a reservation.......if the cell phone has no signal, then we just head to the town we want........we have stayed at some real nice $45 - $55 ones....yep, and sometimes we pay more,...some others are, well , interesting.....but that's what makes for tales to tell ,right?...

this year, we leave in may for the blue ridge and natchez trace...i plan to do the same thing for the towns that are nearby.......it has always worked for us....

initialy, i looked at camping.....but when you end the day, a nice shower, bed, and usually a place to eat is better than pitching a tent, packing ,unpacking, shuttling of to a communal shower, etc., dealing with rain, cold, heat, or whatever else nature sends your way........

Edited by jlh3rd

I did a 27 day 23 state trip and it was not hard to find motels under $50.00 a night. If you have any planned stops and know what night you will be there try what I did. I Googled the town and state, brought up a list of motels, called them to get prices. Don't be afraid to offer them less then what they are asking, you will be suprised how many will take it exspeically during the week days. And don't forget your AARP card.

This topic brings to mind a question I have thougt about for quite a while. For you folks that offer your place to strangers for a night, don't you worry about bad experience?

It may be because of the part of Town I live in, but I am always suspect of people until I get to know them very well. Especially if they are overly nice right away. I have seen many people taken advantage of throhout my life. Usually they were the best people in the world and would bend over backwards to help someone and sure enough some lowlife takes advantage of them.

I can see if you know someone pretty well, but most of us only talk to each other on the web, right?

I would just feel uncomfortable with a stranger spending the night in my house.

craigr

Guest Oldsalt

Wow, I expected you all had the answers but I didn't expect so many so soon. Thanks for all the good info. I will chew on these and put each on my resource list when I get ready. I did forget to mention that I am single and plan buying an RSV 6 months prior to the big trip (hopefully this will be after Yamaha brings out the 3rd gen bike). Thanks again for all the seasoned advice.

Oldsalt

This topic brings to mind a question I have thougt about for quite a while. For you folks that offer your place to strangers for a night, don't you worry about bad experience?

It may be because of the part of Town I live in, but I am always suspect of people until I get to know them very well. Especially if they are overly nice right away. I have seen many people taken advantage of throhout my life. Usually they were the best people in the world and would bend over backwards to help someone and sure enough some lowlife takes advantage of them.

I can see if you know someone pretty well, but most of us only talk to each other on the web, right?

I would just feel uncomfortable with a stranger spending the night in my house.

craigr

Craig,

I understand your concern. However, at least up to this point, everyone I have meet from this website would be welcome in my house anytime (with the possible exception of one a**hat from New Port Richey, FL who is no longer a member).

Saying that with the comfort of knowing I am a big guy, with a big dog, a nice cache of lethal instruments, and 3 good sized sons for protection :smile5:.

In my estimation, this site has the most courteous members of any group I have been associated with.

Now, folks from some other sites, I might be more cautious.

RR

I did several week+ camping/touring trips on bikes a number of years ago. I'm 62 now and looking at doing a few more now that I'm retired.

The camping gear doesn't need to be as expensive as outlined above, in my opinion, although you getter better gear, the more you're willing to invest. A good 3man popup tent can be had for under $100 and a cheap sleeping bag for $25 and double thick air mattress for $25. Three changes of outer clothes and maybe double that of underwear. Plus layered jacket for warmth. Plus a good tool kit with tire plug. flashight. It will easily fit in a backpack (army surplus alice for $50 or similar) or the topbag and the 2 saddlebags. A sleeping bag makes a great backrest, by the way.

There will be plenty of laundromats along the 2 lane roads and in small towns, and even in some state parks. Parks with covered picnic pavilions were my favorite spot to stay, get there at dark, and leave at sunup. No need to pitch a tent that way. Parks often have free shower facilities as well as some truck stops along major highways. If there is an extended spell of bad weather, or a couple days of sleeping out are getting old, then get a campground or go to a motel and soft bed to sleep in. If you see locals with cars parked at a bridge or lake edge, that may be a good spot to go swimming...

Food can be purchased at a grocery store for 1/2 or less than at a restaurant. Grab a couple cans of fruit juice and a hoagie sandwich and some beenie weenies and a box of donuts. Eat 1 good meal a day in a restaurant.