IGNORED

New plugs

iridedou

After the first 100 miles on my new '84 Venture, I spent time doing some initial maintenance on it today. Changed the oil and filter, final drive gear oil and the spark plugs. What a pain in the butt changing those 4 plugs. At first I thought I would check, clean, and regap the old ones, but I don't want to do that again for awhile, so I just replaced them. Trying to find the correct thinner walled socket, length of extension, and a smaller ratchet to fit in those tight quarters was fun. I used my shop vac to clean out any debris before pulling the plugs to be safe as I couldn't really see down there. I used a 3" piece of 3/4" clear hose in placing the new plugs, with a touch of oil on the threads, down in there and starting them without cross threading. Clear tubing allowed me to see if it was turning and it reduced the amount of "tiny" turns with my ratchet too. I put some seafoam in the gas tank and then went for a 40 mile ride with my wife in the balmy 55F weather. I noticed it ran a little better. With new tires, new brake pads front and rear, and clutch and brake fluid recently changed by PO, I hopefully won't be doing much else for the time being. At some point I will tackle the carb synch and valve adjustments as needed.

My wife is now spoiled with the comfort of this bike!!

Welcome Iride, to the VentureRider.Org. site! It appears to me that you are not afraid to tackle some of the basic maintenance tasks on your new scoot, I like that! I think after taking the time to wrench on your bike it makes that ride later all that much better. If you would take a moment to fill in some of your personal information in your profile, It would be my pleasure to call you by name, and I always enjoy looking at the other member's pics of their VR's.

Thanks for posting,:thumbsup2:

Earl