IGNORED

Naked

dray

It's gonna be a cool one Dic, can't wait to see it. If you need a hand give me a shout

:thumbsup2:

ill give you a shout :banana:

I've gotta ask, what are you gonna build. That looks like a hard side golf bag.

It is its a double bag hard case im going to make a single wheel trailer out of it:think: I think:cool10:

Interesting. Looks like the one I started back in September and have not finished yet. I had a car top carrier that i cut down to use and did not like the final result so I gave it away. I never thought, and neither did the dozens of people I talked to about it I could use a golf bag carrier. I may have some renewed interest. If not I'll have a single wheel trailer frame and wheel for sale pretty cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

just a few new parts i picked up ordered the shock last night

and the bushings are on a swaybar control arm im going to split it and use it for the swingarm attachment to the trailer

also i picked up the steel now i need to get parts to make the hitch receiver for it

i still have the swingarm to go too! but im getting there OH YA almost forgot i ordered a MCHITCH for the V star should be here any day now

and just incase you see it it has been brought to my attention about the staple on the carpet in the pic

• 3 months later...

Ok been a bit but i know have most of the parts for my trailer just waiting for a few more small parts that are being made at the machine shop so here is a parts photo of some of the stuff i have done

The trailer seems like it's gonna be neat looking, but I gotta ask a question. On single wheeled trailers with the wheel in the back... what does it do to the 'tongue' weight on the bike? With a standard trailer the load can be balanced to give the correct amount of tongue weight, and the Uni-Go single has the wheel in the center which I suppose could be balanced somewhat. But with a single rear wheel the more payload you stick in there the more the weight on the rear axle of the bike will increase. I think it's something like half of the total, or a 300# payload will put an extra 150#'s on the bike's rear axle. I think....?? Correct me if I'm off base here....

You'd be correct... when the two support points are at complete opposite ends, the total weight of the load will be distributed more or less equally between the two points that support the weight, in this instance, the tire contact patch, and the hitchpoint. Like you posited, a 300# load will split the weight about 50-50 between the two points, or 150# each.

I think I'd have tackled building my trailer frame capable of holding two of the boxes, turned in an upright position, with the single wheel in between them, but moved forward to allow the wheel/tire to hold a larger percentage of the weight. That however would add a considerable amount of complexity to the project.

I'm prone to go overboard thataway :shock3:

You'd be correct... when the two support points are at complete opposite ends, the total weight of the load will be distributed more or less equally between the two points that support the weight, in this instance, the tire contact patch, and the hitchpoint. Like you posited, a 300# load will split the weight about 50-50 between the two points, or 150# each.

I think I'd have tackled building my trailer frame capable of holding two of the boxes, turned in an upright position, with the single wheel in between them, but moved forward to allow the wheel/tire to hold a larger percentage of the weight. That however would add a considerable amount of complexity to the project.

I'm prone to go overboard thataway :shock3:

Would that equal distribution only be true if the tongue and the distance behind the box were equal? If the center line of the tire is 12" behind the box and the tongue is 24" ahead of the front of the box would it not work much like a wheelbarrow and give you a proportionately lighter load on the tongue?

It may vary a tiny bit, but not much. If the two points of support are at opposite ends, the entire weight will split pretty evenly between the two points. Regardless of whether the weight is closer to one end or the other.

Think of yourself lying in a hammock. Doesn't really matter much if you scoot from one end to the other, the two ends are going to have to support all the weight, and since you can't get any of the weight out beyone one support or the other, it tends to even out.

It may vary a tiny bit, but not much. If the two points of support are at opposite ends, the entire weight will split pretty evenly between the two points. Regardless of whether the weight is closer to one end or the other.

Think of yourself lying in a hammock. Doesn't really matter much if you scoot from one end to the other, the two ends are going to have to support all the weight, and since you can't get any of the weight out beyone one support or the other, it tends to even out.

using this thinking the use of a lever would not help in lifting anything

so if me and you are carrying a box 8foot long full of stuff and the box is all loaded on your end and its being carryed with 6in. handles evenly spaced out each end and its between us my end with nothing in it is going to be the same weight as your end

COOL so next time i move you want to come help carry all the heavy stuff

using this thinking the use of a lever would not help in lifting anything

The trailer actually does have a fulcrum, but the mass is all on one side.. A tire or tires at the center point form the fulcrum. Shift the axle toward one end or the other and the applied downward force will shift from one end to the other, either creating lift or mass weight. The weight on either side or an axel will cancel the other out except for differences in those weights. Move the axle completely to one end of the trailer and all the weight will shift to one side of the fulcrum and become a total combined mass. The total weight will apply downward force and be split between the two suspending fulcrum ends. Geeze did I say that...:rotf::whistling:

The trailer actually does have a fulcrum, but the mass is all on one side.. A tire or tires at the center point form the fulcrum. Shift the axle toward one end or the other and the applied downward force will shift from one end to the other, either creating lift or mass weight. The weight on either side or an axel will cancel the other out except for differences in those weights. Move the axle completely to one end of the trailer and all the weight will shift to one side of the fulcrum and become a total combined mass. The total weight will apply downward force and be split between the two suspending fulcrum ends. Geeze did I say that...:rotf::whistling:

Yes But the farther the load is to one end you have less weight at the other put a 100 lbs at one end of a two foot bar and try to pick it up on one end now extend the bar to six foot with the same 100lbs at the same spot as on the two foot bar and you will find its easy to pick it up and the longer the bar the easyer it will be till you hit a point the bar is just to weak or it flexes to much

I won't be so dogmatic as to say it'll always split evenly dray, and the load can somewhat bias towards one end a little bit, but dadgummit if the hitch is in front of the load, and the wheel is behind it... you're gonna have an awful lot of load on the hitch :)

As to calling me when you have a heavy load to tote, you go ahead and do that... it's one of the things I'm good at :)

I'm a skosh large my own self, and picking up a load just ain't much worse'n dragg'n my butt outa bed every morn'n :)

When I went to meet the fella I bought my trailer from, he had gotten a neighbor to help him ramp it up into the back of his pickup to bring it halfway to me for delivery. He then left the ramps at home, and thought we had a problem till I untied it and simply picked up the entire trailer by its back end and set it on the ground. He grumbled and swore he could'a done the same 20 years ago :)