IGNORED

Installing Accessories

Bluesman

Hey people, as some of you know, I just purchased an '09 Venture. The dealer offered me a 20% discount on accessories so I went a little overboard on the items I wanted to dress up my ride. Thing is, when the quote came in, with installation included, the actual installation price was almost the same as the accessory price (eg. Trunk rack cost: $180. Installation: $135!!!). What I'd like to know is if there's various posts that explain installation techniques such as installing passing lamps, trunk wings, braided lines etc. I mean, step by step instructions to simplify my own installation. I dressed up my Silverado on my own but I'm not an expert, just a back yard type mechanic and any help would be appreciated. As usual, thanks in advance for all your help!...........

Bluez :cool17:

Most all of yamaha accessories come step by step with directions.with them and with the manual and a parts fiche they are all pretty easy. The braided lines say to let the stealership do them but they are simple to. ( I think I have everything yamaha makes for the venture as far as safetey chrome)

Edited by got2mnytoys
added braided line info

Using the search feature here you will find more than the basic instructions, but tips & tricks from people who have learned (sometimes the hard way) what to & not to do with almost any accessory you can imagine. Take a look throug the tech articles, too - lots of good stuff there.

Plus, if you can't find instructions for something specific or if you hit a snag along the way just post. Before you know it people will be offering advice, photos, phone numbers and assistance if you're close enough.

Go ahead and do it yourself. The best part around here is that you're never alone when doing it "yourself"!!

I can see that you're new here and I'll say that it takes a while to learn to navigate the site. Try looking in the Accessary section. If you don't find what you need there, try 1 of the Tech Talk sections. If you still don't find what you need, Just ask. There are some really knowledgable folks here that will jump right in and help. If you can wait a while you can go to Freebirds Maintenance day get together and there'll be plenty of help to put it all together.

BTW Welcome to the site.

The dealer I purchased my '07 from (new) will sell me the accessories for 20% off and install them FREE. That includes tires (mounting/balancing free). Anyone in Oklahoma who is in the market for a new Yamaha, I recommend Seahorn Yamaha in Shawnee. Just my .02 worth.

:mustache:

Hey Blues man ,

i have been self taught on the instalation of the extra's ( cant afford the dealer) but i did the passing lamps it wasnt to hard the best advice i can give you is "take your time" it took me two days to do the driving lights.(I work second shift) but relax read your directions and ask for help if you get confused these folks here are a great asset for work to be done they know all the tricks of the trade.

Ron aka Grasshopper

I agree, Most of the stuff is pretty straight-forward if you're reasonably handy with tools. There are threads about most of the accessories if you poke around the site a bit. If you can't find the info you need just put up a post and someone will respond with some insight.

Good luck and congrats on the '09!

i have installed/or repaired/or removed:

rear brake/running/turn signal module

stebel horn/w bracket

passing lamps

clearview windshield

fairing

intermittent radio/cb

seat holdown nuts

rider backrest

signal and brakelight bulb upgrades

luggage rack and it's hinge prob.

and hope to install:

new, higher output stator

gauges

all with the info and help from this site

so , just start reading....you won't be disappointed and you'll save some money

If you are a firefighter...I think you can do it.

I was really scared when I installed the trunk wing...calling in re-inforcements to look at it with me to make sure it was straight. Trunk rack was kinda scary also...hated drilling the holes in that trunk lid. Take your time on these two items. Check and double check.

All the rest is just bolt on...not really a big deal.

Take your time...do not rush and if you get stuck...yell out for help...there is more than enough help here on this site to assist you with photos, and knowledge about how to get you over a snag if you hit one.

That color sure is nice. I know you will really enjoy the bike.

My buddy Draegerman was right, this is a great place to come to for information! Glad I found this forum!

And thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm gonna go the way of the do-it-yourself route. I did 75% of the mods on my old Roadstar so you're right, it really shouldn't be that difficult. Besides, the money I saved on dealer installation just allowed me to buy more chrome!!! :cool10:

And Squidley, thanks for the offer. I just may take you up on it. One short road trip involves circumnavigating Lake Huron before heading home through Manitoulin so I may just be in a neighbourhood near you. Thing is, I'm gonna need me a damn trailer to haul all those parts! *L*

Bluez :guitarist 2:

And Squidley, thanks for the offer. I just may take you up on it. One road trip involves circumnavigating Lake's Michigan and Huron before heading home through Manitoulin so I may just be in a neighbourhood near you. Thing is, I'm gonna need me a damn trailer to haul all those parts! *L*

Bluez :guitarist 2:

If you order them here and send them to my house they will be waiting for you when you get here. Ask and SW Ontarian about my "Storage Facility"

:whistling:

Pretty easy to do these yourself.

Tip for the truck rack: When you are sure you have it where you want it, trace around the mounts with a dry erase marker. Then you can just drill in the center of the marks.

Be very careful with the supplied mounting bolts. They will gouge the chit out of a helmet in the trunck. I went and got some pan head screws then put a little pad of felt on them.

Hey people, as some of you know, I just purchased an '09 Venture. The dealer offered me a 20% discount on accessories so I went a little overboard on the items I wanted to dress up my ride. Thing is, when the quote came in, with installation included, the actual installation price was almost the same as the accessory price (eg. Trunk rack cost: $180. Installation: $135!!!). What I'd like to know is if there's various posts that explain installation techniques such as installing passing lamps, trunk wings, braided lines etc. I mean, step by step instructions to simplify my own installation. I dressed up my Silverado on my own but I'm not an expert, just a back yard type mechanic and any help would be appreciated. As usual, thanks in advance for all your help!...........

Hey Bluez, If you'd like a hand with anything just give me a shout and come on down! We'll get'r done!

Hey Bluez, If you'd like a hand with anything just give me a shout and come on down! We'll get'r done!

Hey, don't you worry. I'll be making the trip out your way many times this year. Told you, the Boathouse is our turn around point so since I'll be nearby, you can count on us dropping in, or, going for a ride since you know the roads better then me.

As for installing the parts, sure! That is if there's anything left to install what with all the help I've been offered! *L*

Pickup date is April 5th for the bike. If the weather holds, could make it out the following weekend. Would be a great way to get the miles on her for the break-in period!

And Squidley, the amount of accessories I bought, I'll be taking the truck to carry them home! Cripes, I'd need to win the lottery to afford the shipping cost down to you!

Pretty easy to do these yourself.

Tip for the truck rack: When you are sure you have it where you want it, trace around the mounts with a dry erase marker. Then you can just drill in the center of the marks.

Be very careful with the supplied mounting bolts. They will gouge the chit out of a helmet in the trunck. I went and got some pan head screws then put a little pad of felt on them.

Thanks for the tip! Got one to share that was sent to me privately that's very similar to your suggestion:

"Place masking tape at the points the trunk rack will meet the lid that way you have room to adjust it and you can make sure you align it properly. Once in position, trace around the base and after removing the rack, drill your holes in the center. Remove the tape, install the rack and you're done. Worked for me!"

And Squidley, the amount of accessories I bought, I'll be taking the truck to carry them home! Cripes, I'd need to win the lottery to afford the shipping cost down to you!

No worries Bluez, if you get a date that you want to do it, we can shoot over to you and install them at your place

:thumbsup2: