IGNORED

Passing lamp install

I have a question about the passing lamp install. I have read about using a 30amp relay and running the power right off the battery so the fuse is under the seat next to the battery. doesn't this drain the battery? Also wouldn't this keep the lights on even if the ignition is off? any help would be appriciated. Thanks

I have a question about the passing lamp install. I have read about using a 30amp relay and running the power right off the battery so the fuse is under the seat next to the battery. doesn't this drain the battery? Also wouldn't this keep the lights on even if the ignition is off? any help would be appriciated. Thanks

No... That's why you use a relay... You hook the relay up to something that works when the key is on (Like the parking light circuit)... The relay acts like switch that only turns on when the key's on... Some have wired a toggle switch between the relay and the keyed power source...

I don't know if you are a member of Ventures.org (another great Venture site) but they have instructions on how and why you wire it to the battery using a relay. I followed the instructions and mine work fine and only come on when the ignition is on. I put my relay under the gas tank and the fuse under the seat. Here is a link that may work;

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002007&id=247

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/pl_diagram.jpg

I have gotten the clutch resivor 3 switch by kurykan to control the lights. I am curious though on the use of the relay. I am now understanding how the ignition works the relay but if the lights are running directly from the battery vice the stator coil wouldn't it continue to drain the battery or does the power from the stator coil continue to charge the battery while the lights are on?

I understand the power is coming to the lights from the battery via the relay. but when i am driving down the road and the lights are on then the lights become a constant draw on the battery. so my question is, doesn't this drain the battery? Maybe i am miss understanding something. the stator coil generates the bikes electricity when the motor is running and the battery is used when the motor is off. so if i am pulling from the battery with the motor on and off won't this drain the battery? Maybe the stator coil makes up for this?

I have know idea. I just followed the directions on Venturer's website. I can only tell you that I have ridden with all three lights on and a heated vest and heated chaps and the battery is doing fine. I have not gone on any long trips with all that turned on (3 or 4 hrs) but around town and short trips of around 150 miles have not been any problem. I have not even use my battery tender. I'm sure if I hook it up it would take a charge it always does but I haven hooked it up in weeks and I ride at least two days a week. Oh by the way I have not unhooked the carb heaters either. So I'm sold.:rudolf:

The generator recharges the battery while driving, all circuits are wired to the battery. Therefore, as long as the bike is running, the generator is charging, and the loads you put on the battery ( as long as they're not excessive) will be taken on by the generator(alternator, for you "car" guys..like me).so , basically...as long as the current draw by your accessories are NOT more than the generator/alternator output ......you will NOT...I repeat, NOT be draining the battery.Was that too long of a description.......if so, sorry!!lol!!!hope this helps!!

Put a Single Pole, Single Throw, Switch, between the Fuse, and the Relay.

Turn, Key On, now you have power to the switch, But not to the Relay control Winding unless you turn your " Drive Light Switch " ON.

Key Off, lights go Off, not mater what position the New switch is in.

The Above Schematic is Correct.

When Headlight is ON, power goes to New Switch. You turn Switch ON, now there is power to the Relay Coil. Relay contact move to the Closed position, Now power from Battery Goes to the New Lights.

Key OFF, Lights go OFF, not matter what position the New Switch is in.

Trust us, we are Electricians !!!

I understand the power is coming to the lights from the battery via the relay. but when i am driving down the road and the lights are on then the lights become a constant draw on the battery. so my question is, doesn't this drain the battery? Maybe i am miss understanding something. the stator coil generates the bikes electricity when the motor is running and the battery is used when the motor is off. so if i am pulling from the battery with the motor on and off won't this drain the battery? Maybe the stator coil makes up for this?

Once the bike is running the stator supplies the electricity to run the bike and recharge the battery... Except if you're using more juice than the stator supplies... The Stators on the RSV don't put out a lot of extra juice for accessories so it is possible to over tax the stator and discharge the battery... But you'd have to have 55W passing lamps, some heated clothing, extra electronics, and/or be sitting in traffic to cause a battery discharge situation.. I hope this answers your question...

It always a good idea, be able to turn OFF, any added accessories.

If you start haveing trouble on the road, like battery going bad, Regulator failing, you want to be able to Turn OFF as much added electrical draw on the system as possible.

Hopefully you can make it to a repair place before the battery goes dead.

Doesn't the switch in the fairing do the same thing. I leave mine on all the time but if I want to turn the passing lights off I push the switch in the fairing and the passing lights go off. Why would you need both switches?

What switch in the fairing YamaDuck? I have the Yamaha lights on mine and I haven't found any switches for them accept the one in the left side light housing.

My switch is on the left side of the accessory plug which is on the left side of the fairing. It is a push type switch that has a black rubber cover over it to keep the weather out and keep the switch dry. It is about the same size as a pencil eraser.

Mine came with that switch also. I installed them myself and also put it beside the accessory outlet. That is where the instructions recommended it be installed. I didn't like the switch that came with it and used a lighted rocker switch instead.

I heard that at some point, Yamaha started putting them on the lights but don't know when it was or if they still do it that way.

I know a couple of guys that have factory installed passing lights (both are midnight editions) one is an 05 and one is an 06 RSV and they have theirs in the same place ( beside the 12v outlet). Now I have a 06 Road Star Midnight Silverado with factory installed passing lights and the passing light switch is on the left passing light housing. Switch broke and I had to replace it which is common on the Road Star passing lights.:325: