IGNORED

Horns

GeorgeS

Been a few postings latley concerning Stebel Horns, and horns in general.

Last few days I've been researching " Horns " as to the loudest avialable.

I drove around the other day, looking for " Stebel " Horns, couple of auto parts, and 2 motorcycle dealers. The answer was " we don't carry them " . Hmmm ??

Ok, yesterday I was at local auto parts, to get something else, I noticed Horns on the shelf, labled, " CARRAND HORNS " They were shaped, about the same as the

" Volvo Horns " or " Fiamm " car horns that we are all familiar with.

These were Labled, " Magnum Blaster, Horn, 138 Decibels "

So on close examination, I see they are actually made by " STEBEL " !!!

--Apparently, Stebel Horns, are being sold in the U.S. Under other brand Names --

So I bought one, the " High Tone " took it home, and Tried it on The bench with spare Battery, WOW!!! IT WAS LOUD. !!!! I compared to my bike which has 2 of the WOLO, ( same as Volvo, and Fiamm style ) ( 119 DB ) And the original BEEP Beep OEM Yamaha installed. ( total of 4 units installed )

----- THE ONE, HIGH TONE, STEBEL 138DB WAS LOUDER, THEN THE 4 HORNS INSTALLED ON THE BIKE !!!! ---It actually hurt my ears, the bike installation, did not. ( Test, done , INSIDE the garage, with doors closed )

So I ran down and bought the Low tone, I installed the Two STEBEL's in place of the 2 WOLO's, and My - &*$%^ are they loud.

No Air pump to mess with.

I have them mounted Inside the Air Intaks on each fairing. Just remove the Plastic Grill, an Stuff them into the Air Intakes. Its a tight fit, but they do go in.

The " Carrand Horns " P/n is 3-0115 and 3-0114---

The instructions, claim they should be fused at 10 Amps-- Each----

I am useing a Bosh Relay, and #16 Wires, and have a 15 AMP ATM type, fuse, feeding power to the Bosh Relay. Useing #16 stranded wire, to carry Power. Stock Horn Switch supplies a Ground to the Relay Solinoid.

I'm not saying this is the best set-up, but, ---- I'm Happy with it !!!!

Beep Beep Beep, ( no more of that nonsence !! )

Bye the way, Its still Raining in Seattle !!!!

Edited by GeorgeS

I wonder if they will mount where the stock horns are on my 86 VR? Would they work with just the stock wiring and switch?

NO, they will NOT work with STOCK, wireing and switch, Stock does not have a RELAY, and the wireing is only #18 wires,

Your Stock Horn is wired to the " Signal " fuse which is allready feeding, Turn sigs, speedo, tack, temp gauge, Brake lights, turn signals,

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!! Also, pumping 10 to 15 amps thru the Horn Switch might burn up the switch !!

If you make the installation, get a Bosh Relay, and control the Relay with the stock switch, and use #16 or #14 wire to feed voltage thru a NEW Fuse, ( 15 AMP ) to the Relay, and from the Relay to the Horns !!!

Regardless of the manufacturer I have never had good results towards longevity with any air horn. Altho I have Carbon One's horn bracket for the Stebel I have not purchased that air horn. While I recognize that LOUD is better I'm somewhat reluctant to spend the $$$$$$ for a pricey air horn only to see it fail within a year or two.

Like you George I am seriously looking at electric horns for my Venture which can do as well as the Stebel air horn and last a long time as well.

With Winter upon us I now have the time to snoop out all the makes/models that are out there. :cool10:

Regardless of the manufacturer I have never had good results towards longevity with any air horn. Altho I have Carbon One's horn bracket for the Stebel I have not purchased that air horn. While I recognize that LOUD is better I'm somewhat reluctant to spend the $$$$$$ for a pricey air horn only to see it fail within a year or two.

Like you George I am seriously looking at electric horns for my Venture which can do as well as the Stebel air horn and last a long time as well.

With Winter upon us I now have the time to snoop out all the makes/models that are out there. :cool10:

Pull up the Stebel Web site: the 138 db model should be shown there.

GeorgeS,

A little more info please.

You say you stuffed the horns into the air intake in the fairing. Were you not using the air deflectors, or did you think the air wasn't really a help anyway? After installation, were you able to put the plastic grills back on or did you leave them off?

Did you position the horns so they face forward and away from the drivers ears or is it a matter of space and anyway they can be stuffed in there is the right way? Thanks.

GeorgeS,

A little more info please.

You say you stuffed the horns into the air intake in the fairing. Were you not using the air deflectors, or did you think the air wasn't really a help anyway? After installation, were you able to put the plastic grills back on or did you leave them off?

Did you position the horns so they face forward and away from the drivers ears or is it a matter of space and anyway they can be stuffed in there is the right way? Thanks.

As to the Air Intakes on each Fairing. I have never used it. I just leave the Deflectors closed. Also, the tubes that feed Air flow to the Dash Panel, I pulled them out 5 years ago, just take up good space that can be used for wireing and access. They went into the trash can.

To install the Horns. --- I just removed the Intake louvers on each side, Lay the Horn Units , Horizontal and slide them. I left an extra 8 inches of wire, to slide them in place.

Its a tight fit, but they will go in. If you have some old Fiam Car Horns laying around, use that to check the fit.

The center mounting 1/4 inch bolt, of the Horn, does impact the upper surface of the intake chamber, I just cut a notch in it. Its soft material. So the bolt would clear.

I mounted the New RElay, Behind the Headlight assembly. Uses existing Horn wireing to control the relay.

Install New 15 Amp In-Line Fuse holder, from the Feed side of the fuse block assembly. You need all new #16 or #14 stranded wire, to feed the Relay, and then from the Relay to the horn units. Install the Studs, crimp, and solder them. and apply heat shrink tubeing.

For the Stebel electromagnetic horns, should I consider the TM 80, the TM 80 Magnum or the HF 80 series? I wonder if anyone has any experience with these? The HF 80 is a disk type and the TM's look like a more traditional horn. Either of these has plenty of volume so I would probably mount inside the fairing. I would leave the stock horns on as well - more for appearance. Specs can be found on the Stebel website http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2008.htm

I can't believe how anemic the stock horns sound. At speed on the highway, I can hardly hear them over the bike, wind and stereo. I am pretty sure they aren't loud enough to get the attention of an inattentive cager.

Ross