IGNORED

New Lift Table

raceman62race

I know there has been a lot of talk about lift tables. I couldn't resist throwing in a thread about the one I just bought. I got the one from Complete Hydraulic. I bought the one with side and front extentions for choppers and a service jack. It's rated for 1500 lbs. I raised the scoot up on it as soon as I put it together. It seemed to be stable but I was still nervous about having the scoot raised up. Has anyone ever dropped a scoot off the table?

http://www.completehydraulic.com/tcmlw.html

Yes , raising the scoot does make ya nervous . I have the Harbor Freight lift table to lift my 2nd Gen . The first couple of inches , the scoot leans one way or another and hops s each pump of the foot stroke . Now I have removed my rear tire , tugged and pulled with caution as I am not used to it , still nervously . I do however would like to place some removable stabilization legs on it after it is raised to secure the load for safety and comfort .

BEER30

Yes , raising the scoot does make ya nervous . I have the Harbor Freight lift table to lift my 2nd Gen . The first couple of inches , the scoot leans one way or another and hops s each pump of the foot stroke . Now I have removed my rear tire , tugged and pulled with caution as I am not used to it , still nervously . I do however would like to place some removable stabilization legs on it after it is raised to secure the load for safety and comfort .

BEER30

Do you have the table lift or the atv jack? i have the atv javk and started to raise my bike but it dont look like there is a good place to put the jack where it will raise level.

Ron

Guest Yamahawg

Very nice lift. One can never be too careful when lifting their bike.. I've got a Sears Bike Jack and I'm always nervie when I put the bike up in the air... So nervie that I installed some Hooks in the ceiling of the garage and connect tie downs (or should say "tie ups") to the bike to stablize it when it is up in the air. Not sure how much it is helping but makes me feel better....

I just found this that I haven't seen on here before. Haven't finished researching, but it does look promising for a home-made table lift. What does everyone else think?

http://www.afabonline.com/table_lift_plans.htm

There's a movie showing it in operation...

Looks like a nice lift table.....It doesn't look like it has the removable rear panel but you could design that into it as you build it. The removable panel allows you to remove your rear tire without jacking it up really high for the tire to clear the rear fender. If you are capable of doing metal work (and I assume you are if you are planning on building this table) you could alter a standard sissors jack that comes with most compact cars to use on the scoot. I'm sure any auto salvage yard would have one you could pick up for a few bucks

Sounds like none of us are really comfortable lifting our scoots up.

Edited by raceman62race

I had a bike jack from Costco like the sears one and am not too confident using it with my bikes as they seem too lean too much and seems awkward standing it up and then putting jack under before I can lift it so I built one somewhat like the one afabonline has. I can lift either bike or work on my lawn tractor and snow-blower also. It will lift with a hydrolic cylinder half way then can go to a total height of 34'' WHICH MAKES IT GREAT FOR DOING OIL CHANGES and under-work on tractor. Only thing with home-made is weight. To make mine more solid it weighs too much and is harder to move around BUT better to be more solid than not enough and flimsy.Works for me!!!! Could show pictures if wanted.

http://www.handyindustries.com/

My brother convinced me to go with the Handy Lift rather than a less expensive model when I started working on bikes, I'm glad he did. The thing is tough as nails and rock-steady even when extended; I've stood on the extended table next to a VR and didn't feel unstable at all. Handy also makes a larger lift than the one I have for touring bikes such as the Venture, and now they make one with a removable rear panel for easier tire changes. Highly recommended; what pushed me away from a cheaper or home-made lift was the thought of one of my motorcycles (or worse yet, a customer's bikes!) crashing to the floor in slow-mo. One dream (I mean nightmare!) like that was enough! The best investment I ever made for my shop! Yes, it set me back the better part of a grand, but that's what tax refunds are for!:innocent:

Besides, how many times in your life are you gonna buy a lift, anyway? Make it a good one!

If you are capable of doing metal work (and I assume you are if you are planning on building this table) you could alter a standard sissors jack that comes with most compact cars to use on the scoot. I'm sure any auto salvage yard would have one you could pick up for a few bucks

I tried that . They are too flimsy for the task . Though I did manage to change my tire using a standard scissor jack , I will never use another one again . I tried two type of these jack , the standard screw jack and a gear reduction screw jack . They are narrow and made of stamped metal and not up to the bind one would submit to raising the scoot . A cage is more stable while in lift as there are still 3 points of contact with the ground . The MC scissor jack had a wide mechanism and platform , made of sturdier metals .

BEER30

I tried that . They are too flimsy for the task . Though I did manage to change my tire using a standard scissor jack , I will never use another one again . I tried two type of these jack , the standard screw jack and a gear reduction screw jack . They are narrow and made of stamped metal and not up to the bind one would submit to raising the scoot . A cage is more stable while in lift as there are still 3 points of contact with the ground . The MC scissor jack had a wide mechanism and platform , made of sturdier metals .

BEER30

I was thinking that an altered sissors jack would work well after you had the scoot secured on the lift table.....It didn't work for you?