IGNORED

2007 rsmv rear tire removal

curtisb

That Snap Ring is holding the Hub on the Wheel and you should take the Hub off and grease the six Fingers of the Hub before mounting the Wheel. Grease should also be appplied on both Ends of the Drive Shaft and the Splines between Wheel Hub and final Drive. Honda Moly 60 is the recently prefered Grease to use.

• 3 months later...

Got my Venom X's from SWMO. Best price found, free shipping and were on my porch in under 72hrs.

Now! I got the front tire off no problem, but I can't get the rear axle out. I've followed the steps on Jeff's post upto the "remove swing arm thingy" there is a discrepancy in the order of steps.. The manual says to pull the axle first.... before removing the rear brake caliper bracket...

Anyway, I can't get the axle out----- I took Naturbar's advice about the allen wrench fitting in the end of the axle, that gave me about a 1/4" play but that's as far as she'll go. I did notice while loosening the axle with the allen wrench that the wrench will turn fairly easy for abot 270* then tightens up for the other 90*. I've been turning that axle for Awhile but she no be a budging. I've taken a block of wood and rubber mallet to the threaded side and tried knocking it thru-but no luck. Yep, loosened the pinch bolt and spread it just a hair extra.. Tried it both in the air and with a touch of ground pressure.

By the way, couldn't be doing this without Carbon's stand.

Also, how far down do I have to disassemble the wheels to get new rubber mounted at a M/C shop?? Or can they do it just like they came off the bike??

Any help will be appreciated.

You might loosen the four Acorn Nuts (14mm Wrench) on the final Drive and this may release the Axle.

Tnx 4 the info Squeeze.

About 3 hrs of banging and twisting didn't work sooo I broke out the good ol WD40 and gave the axle a bath... Voila! it banged right out.

Problem solved. Now if it will just go back together easier than it came apart..

Got the new Avon Venoms on... Went back together a whole lot easier than it came apart... And only one leftover part; The pinch bolt for the rear axle... Tried to torque it down to the 31ftlb as stated on the service data sheet and broke it off...

Anyone know the specs in that bolt?? Don't need the part #, just size/length/pitch..

Oh! as an addendum to the front tire removal on the tech pages, I had to let the air completely out of the front tire to get it on/off past the caliper brackets...

Tnx.

Got the new Avon Venoms on... Went back together a whole lot easier than it came apart... And only one leftover part; The pinch bolt for the rear axle... Tried to torque it down to the 31ftlb as stated on the service data sheet and broke it off...

Anyone know the specs in that bolt?? Don't need the part #, just size/length/pitch..

Oh! as an addendum to the front tire removal on the tech pages, I had to let the air completely out of the front tire to get it on/off past the caliper brackets...

Tnx.

Tom,

You can take the pieces of the pinch bolt to any ACE hardware with a bolt bin and match it up there, I'm not sure on the exact dimentions. As as the front tire the front calipers should be taken off, 2 12mm bolts on each caliper and they will swing right out of the way. If you ever run into a problem feel free to give me a call, I can usually walk anyone through the majority of the repairs on the bikes.

Tom,

Not sure where you got the torque specks for the pinch bolt ... the specks I have are 17ft. lbs. acorn nuts are 30ft.lbs and the axle nut is 110ft lbs. Anyone else confirm these specks?

Harry

Tom,

Not sure where you got the torque specks for the pinch bolt ... the specks I have are 17ft. lbs. acorn nuts are 30ft.lbs and the axle nut is 110ft lbs. Anyone else confirm these specks?

Harry

Yep. Technically the pinch bolt is listed at 16.6, but my torque wrench doesn't adjust quite that fine. 17 should do nicely.

The service manual is available in the tech section. Note that the pinch bolt torque spec is listed in the reassembly text, not on the picture with the rest of the torque/lube info.