IGNORED

passing in same lane

Jethroish

This has happened to me before and, like today, saw the bike coming up on me.

I was riding on the interstate on my way to work when a pair of crotch rockets come up behind me. I always stay to the left side of the lane. They passed on my right in the same lane of travel. No big deal, but I just can't think of this being a safe practice. If I had not seen them and the car on my left drifted, it could have been very ugly when I moved right.

I just cannot imagine doing this without knowing or having knowledge of the other riders experience.

Is my thinking wrong here or am I just being overly cautious?

:soapbox:

Passing in the same lane is illegal and discourteous. I've done it, but only with someone I've ridden with before.

You're lucky that you saw them in the rear view and were able to prepare yourself, otherwise it's quite a jolt when it happens.

Not very safe indeed. Too bad you ride a 2nd gen, if you was riding a 1st gen, you could hunt them down and give them a piece of your mind, don't know if that would leave anything for the next round, but in my case it wouldn't matter, they'd get it anyways.

I thought about the suggestion of riding somewhat haphazardly, back and forth between tracks but that would be even more dangerous.

I just happened to look back in the right outside mirror to catch 2 crotch rockets going 40-50 mph on the right of everyone in the 2-3 feet of the right lane.

If I had not looked back I would have for sure caught the first one and the 2nd one would have plowed into the first.

The car immediately behind me almost hit me because I hesitated until both went by.

Had 3 passengers in the car, needless to say we all almost **** in our pants.

Beat that one!

Sorry to say thats the mentality (not much of one) of some of the riders today. Sure am glad my son knows better. Talking to them or yelling at them if you could catch them would probably do no good, sorry to say, they think they are right and that they own the road. To bad it gives normal riders a bad name.

Not very safe indeed. Too bad you ride a 2nd gen, if you was riding a 1st gen, you could hunt them down and give them a piece of your mind, don't know if that would leave anything for the next round, but in my case it wouldn't matter, they'd get it anyways.

I thought about the suggestion of riding somewhat haphazardly, back and forth between tracks but that would be even more dangerous.

Carl, CARL... Carl!!! ... Wake up! ... You're dreaming again!!:draming:

I would have simply moved to the right just before they started to pass that would have got their attention and given them something to think about before they did it again.

I thought about moving over into the center of the lane. Traffic was heavy enough that they would have been behind me a little bit.

I did catch back up to them a mile later when traffic really slowed. Then they started weaving in and out of traffic.

Organ Donors.

Guest ezornes

I agree with the earlier post, If you were on a 1st. Gen. you could have quickly caught them and given them a piece of your mind, however if on a Second Gen or a Harley you are out of luck....:12101:

whats all the kvetching about? Several people say they've done it too. (Only one said it was with a rider they knew or have ridden with before). In California it's legal right? Though Its never right to be going to fast or stunting. I've had harley guys do it too while commuting to work.

I just got back from Italy and its just the way it is there. It seems to help filter smaller vehicles to the front. Again I'm not advocating irresponsible riding but if some of us have done it whats with the whining are we getting that old?:witch_brew:

Here it is common to have bikes "lane share" both on the interstate and local roads. It can be done safely but many (may be most) throw caution to the wind and make it bad for every one. I have done it when I think it is safer than sitting in heavy traffic. I have been on group rides where a whole group of riders weaved thru our group to pass. Most of the time we pass them later on the side of the road with a rider down. You can't fix stupid, so do what you can to see them coming and stay out of the way. Rod