The bolt that holds the heel-toe shifter on my '06 RSTD rattled off and has been lost. Thanks to V7Goose, I got it field fixed using the spare bolt on the left hand fuse box cover. However, I want to replace it with an official bolt.

I called the dealership today, who could not tell me what sort of bolt I should buy. Is it chromed? How long is it? The PDF I have of the service manual shows that it has a hex head and integrated washer, but doesn't really give me any other information.

Does someone have information on this bolt? A description and a torque value would be handy.

Well, Dealer SHOULD fix it.

If you dealer was worth a shoot they would replace it under warranty. But obviously they are a crap shop from your comment.

The stock bolt is a wide button head, chromed. Very similar to the one from the battery cover, just rounded instead of the angular shape of the one you have in there. Either order the right one from the parts list or just find one you like at Ace Hardware for about two bucks. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I replaced mine with a standard metric bolt and flat washer..

installed it using "blue" thread lock.

You can take the bolt from the side cover to Lowes or Home Depot and find the correct thread & length bolt.

I just picked out a steel bolt, and you dont even notice it. Heck yu can paint the head of it black too ( I didnt though).

It does not have to be a chrome replacement bolt...unless that is what you really want..

I didnt feel like giving Yama $8.00 for one bolt...

The bolt that holds the heel-toe shifter on my '06 RSTD rattled off and has been lost. Thanks to V7Goose, I got it field fixed using the spare bolt on the left hand fuse box cover. However, I want to replace it with an official bolt.

I called the dealership today, who could not tell me what sort of bolt I should buy. Is it chromed? How long is it? The PDF I have of the service manual shows that it has a hex head and integrated washer, but doesn't really give me any other information.

Does someone have information on this bolt? A description and a torque value would be handy.

FYI if this helps its a M6 size. I could not find one exactly like the one that came out at my hardware but I made it work.

Does This help ? (Venture Parts sheet)

Yes, it is part 19 and 18. It does look like the fuse cover bolt (called a screw?), plus a washer.

Thanks all for your comments.

I haven't taken it in for warranty service on this. I'll go to the service desk first and ask that they order me the bolt. They are not un-responsive, but a big dealer franchise bought the old dealership. They have had a heck of a time changing from the old inventory system to the new one, and are not focused on Yamaha/Star at all. They never know what they do and do not have. They could well be good once they get past this clueless stage.

I stopped at the dealership on Saturday, and told them I'd lost the bolt. The "screw, special shape" was $2.95 and the washer was $2.99! Three bucks for a penny washer?!

I told them I wanted it replaced under warranty, and was told that they considered parts falling off to be a maintenance issue. I can see their point. But, I told them, they were doing all my maintenance. The last time I was in the shop, I requested that they check everything because I fully intended to have such things covered under warranty. If they were not going to cover things under warranty, I certainly did not need to pay their prices.

The repair clerk looked up my last service, which was in September. Surely it should not have rattled off since then had they done their job? Then he went to talk to the manager, and after a long conversation they decided to cover the $6 in parts. Seriously? It takes two minutes of weighing pros and cons to decide that?

So now the parts are on order and they'll call me when it comes in.

I must say, this is about how I expected my visit with them would go. I spent 30 minutes of a gloriously beautiful Autumn Saturday to save myself $3. (No way would I spend $3 on a frickin' washer.)

I stopped at the dealership on Saturday, and told them I'd lost the bolt. The "screw, special shape" was $2.95 and the washer was $2.99! Three bucks for a penny washer?!

I told them I wanted it replaced under warranty, and was told that they considered parts falling off to be a maintenance issue. I can see their point. But, I told them, they were doing all my maintenance. The last time I was in the shop, I requested that they check everything because I fully intended to have such things covered under warranty. If they were not going to cover things under warranty, I certainly did not need to pay their prices.

The repair clerk looked up my last service, which was in September. Surely it should not have rattled off since then had they done their job? Then he went to talk to the manager, and after a long conversation they decided to cover the $6 in parts. Seriously? It takes two minutes of weighing pros and cons to decide that?

So now the parts are on order and they'll call me when it comes in.

I must say, this is about how I expected my visit with them would go. I spent 30 minutes of a gloriously beautiful Autumn Saturday to save myself $3. (No way would I spend $3 on a frickin' washer.)

After I stripped the allen head out trying to switch from heel/toe to a toe shifter, I went to our local Hardware/Farm store and got a bolt, washer and lock washer as I couldn't get the special shaped one. Got them in chrome. I paid $6.96 + tax. So considering it is a special shaped head, I'm really kinda surprised it wasn't even more. Glad you got them to cover it..

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to update this. Two weeks ago, I had my bike in for service before going on a weekend two-up trip to the Texas Hill Country. While there, they replaced the temporary bolt I had been using for my shift lever (the spare from my left hand fuse cover) and installed another.

This doesn't look very "special shaped" to me. I don't think that this is the one they ordered the previous week. And yet, they haven't called to say that special shaped one is in yet.

Can someone confirm that this isn't the special shaped bolt I requested they order?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/3052400127_6376263696_m.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3018/3052400171_6ab9f6836c_m.jpg

Couple of pic's of OEM bolt on my 06.......

Keith

Thanks Keith. That's what I thought. I'll call them Tuesday to inquire about the status of the screw, special shaped.

This seems to be a common one is it worth it for those of us who have not lost this bolt yet to take it out and lock tite it ??

I was told by the service manager that this should be inspected/tightened at every service. Since they did my service, I had a reason to hold them to replacing it. I would suggest checking it every now and then, especially if you haven't done so yet (factory loose?). I don't know if it is a candidate for lock tite, but I think it could be a good idea.

As far as I am concerned, that particular bolt, along with the little ones to hold on the chrome fender trim, are MANDATORY for Lock-Tite. If you don't do it, you're gonna loose it.

Goose

Glad I checked this out. I am gonna take the rascal out and lock tite it before the trouble comes home to me. ***Things to do list to the bike this winter, plus some special cleaning and putting the Rick Butler stand under it and the battery tender terminals and well.... Oh Ya, like that phrase Goose,"If you don't do it, you are gonna loose it."

Thanks you all, James

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
Goose phrase