IGNORED

To Leak or Not to Leak, That is the Question.

My '85 VR is pretty stubborn about wanting to leak a little from its rear valve cover, no matter how hard I plead with it. Is that fix more trouble than it's worth if the leak amounts to approx. a thimble full after parking from an all day ride (with the understanding that it ALSO leaks some DURING the ride)? I can do the job, I just don't know how crazy it would be.

It's no bid deal to replace the gasket on the rear Valve cover. There is lots of room.

Check the gasket at the side of the head to see if it is hard. If it is still soft you may get away with cleaning the gasket and using some silicone gasket stuff. If it is hard then order the gasket to save down time.

Fred

Got cha Condor. Thanks!

You might also want to heed the words of wisdom from Fred Vogt about testing the gaskets before making a decision on replacment. They may have been replaced by a PO and are still soft enough to reuse, and just need to be cleaned up and reset??

I just replaced both valve cover gaskets on my 88. as long as it was apart I also replaced the seals on the valve cover screws.

It was not a big job. I just got sick of the oil running down the side of the engine and dripping on the pipes while riding.

Besides, How can I pick on my buds HD leaks if I have my own.:rasberry: