IGNORED

Cruise Problem..still

Running out of ideas. The cruise in this '86 used to work, not great, but it worked. Now it will turn on, all the lights come on-then go off with power light still on. Hit the set button and nothing happens. It's like the wire was cut.

I took the switch apart and it looked good; cleaned it, and put it back together. I have done the same to the clutch switch and the brake switch. I took the instrument panel apart(to get the bug out of the speedo:rotf:) and took apart all the plugs and cleaned them and put dielctric in them. Then I did it to almost every plug on the scoot. The scoot was kept mostly indoors during it's former life and everything has been free of corrosion.

I have tried to chase wires but the diagram I have(the free downloadable one here) is mostly unreadable so I am not having any luck with the wirs. I know little about electronics and get easily bogged down. I don't know how the system works but I think when I hit the set switch, a signal goes to a black box or 2(haven't a clue) which works the diaphram conected to the throttle box. I just don't know what next. :confused24: Any help would be appreciated.:bowdown:

I have an 84, I did about all the things u did still didn`t work dim green light would come on,then one time I put forward pressure on clutch lever and light went bright green and cruise worked took apart stretched spring and now it works every time . maybe worth a try. I have the older type cruise .

JB

Hi jb..

Yeah, tried the whole clutch thing; took the pin out took the spring off, stretched it a little. No change at all. Also made sure the brake light switches were clear, nada. There has to be a central processor thingy that has gone bad somewhere. Thanks for your input. BTW, I got this scoot from one of your "neighbors"; a guy over in DeBary. :)

Does this help at all?

C: Signal from Speedometer

D: Inhibit from clutch, brake

E: Raw 12V from ignition fuse (through kill switch)

F: Raw 12V from Class fuse

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/cruise.jpg

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/cruise1.jpg

The brain box is located behind the dash on the right side its pretty big. I crashed last year and took out the whole right side rebuilt bike now mine isnt working either box was damaged the new used one I have doesnt appear to work. I let you know if I find something that may help you.

Thanks guys...

I'm going to try to chase wires tomorrow. Got a meter. Gonna see what I can come up with. I've been through 3-4 really nasty t-storms in the last month(not on purpose, I can assure you) and maybe I drowned something.:250:

Thanks guys...

I'm going to try to chase wires tomorrow. Got a meter. Gonna see what I can come up with. I've been through 3-4 really nasty t-storms in the last month(not on purpose, I can assure you) and maybe I drowned something.:250:

Do you ever see the green set light come on?

I have an 86 as well..Mine was always an adventure in the sense that I was never sure when I turned the C/C on what to expect..Different fixes would work but only temporarily..so after years of frustration I bought a friction lock from JC Whitney for $35..At first I'd turn on the C/C, if it worked I used it, if it didn't I'd use the friction lock..Now I only use the friction lock..Nice thing about it is you never have to worry whether its going to work or it turning itself off for no reason..

I've been out working on this thing since early this morning. Had every plug apart, looked for pinched wires, burnt wires, corrosion, whatever and found nothing.

To answer your question 93, the power, set, resume lights come on when I turn it on. The power light stays on, I get up to speed, hit set and nothing... no light, not even for a sec. I tore the switch apart, cleaned it and you can hear the switch click when you move it to set or back the other way.

I am beyond my electronics capability to start checking plugs and switches but I did check the fuses.

Think I may end up like you bobcat, and just get one of those friction lock thingys and be done with it. There is too much electrical stuff that effects the CC and I don't have spares to sort it out; the list of "could be's" goes on and on.

I thank you guys for the ideas and the help, especially the diagram Mike. Guess I could fix it by replacing the whole bike but that is a little extreme:mo money:

mtman, there is a bushing in the clutch lever that will wear over time. When this happens it allows play to develop in the clutch lever. When riding and trying to set the cruise, the wind will push the lever back effectively disengaging the cruise which is what happens when you pull back on the clutch lever. I think you can still get that bushing from Yamaha. Hope this helps.

Don H.