IGNORED

06 Purchase?? Some Feedback

Guest dabimf

Ok! Went to the Yamaha dealership for what ever people go to the Yamaha shop for with the wife. Wifes been sort of bugging me about getting a Venture. I presently own an FJR. Well low and behold yesterday they took in an 06 Venture with 30K miles on the clock. Bike appears to be well taken care of. Several extras like passing lamps, extra LED rear turn signals and light/brake bar, 6 CD changer, HD Roadking pips,etc.

Dealer agrees to put on a new front tire (rear tire new), change ALL fluids, check valves,

check steering head bearings.

With everything done they want 12k for it.

Now first of all with 30k miles is there anything else I should be making sure is checked or replaced ie; rear shock ( don't know how long they last)

And is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance to all that respond. Mark

I dont know about the price....someone else from the US will be able to tell you its a good one or not. To me....thats pretty good!

Dont worry about the shock, if it goes bad it is covered under the 5 year warranty....if you buy the bike just get the warranty transfered into your name.

Also if they give you the name of the PO maybe contact him and ask if its a "screamer". The clutch can make some awfull noise in some bikes and that would require a clutch basket change if its too bad...again a warranty issue.

The mileage....I wouldnt worry about as the engine is almost as good as it gets....very solid and dependable.

Check KBB.com on the price. As long as the warranty is transferred you'll be fine. The engines are pretty much bullet proof. Take it for a spin first. Listen and see if you can live with the whine. 25 in 2nd. 35 in 3rd. Pretty much that's where you'll here it if its going to bother you.

Ok! Went to the Yamaha dealership for what ever people go to the Yamaha shop for with the wife. Wifes been sort of bugging me about getting a Venture. I presently own an FJR. Well low and behold yesterday they took in an 06 Venture with 30K miles on the clock. Bike appears to be well taken care of. Several extras like passing lamps, extra LED rear turn signals and light/brake bar, 6 CD changer, HD Roadking pips,etc.

Dealer agrees to put on a new front tire (rear tire new), change ALL fluids, check valves,

check steering head bearings.

With everything done they want 12k for it.

Now first of all with 30k miles is there anything else I should be making sure is checked or replaced ie; rear shock ( don't know how long they last)

And is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance to all that respond. Mark

WAIT FOR THEM TO GET 09 MODELS IN THEN OFFER HIM 10K FOR IT. I HAVE A 06 I BOUGHT NEW IN 07 AND HAVE PUT 27K HARD MILES ON IT.......NO PROBLEMS..GREAT BIKE! :thumbsup2:

$12,000 is not a bad price, depending on what is on it. But you REALLY need to do an extended test ride - at least 20 miles in different conditions (50 would be better). Leave the radio off. If it has an annoying whine, you will know it by the time you are done. Only a relatively few RSVs have the whine, so if you are happy with the way it sounds after that ride, there is absolutely no worry about it.

Make certain it does NOT have either Metzeler or Brickstone tires! Any other tire is fine.

During your ride, make sure you briefly take both hands off the bars at various times - the RSV does NOT shake or wobble unless it has bad tires or something wrong. If you detect any motion at all in the bars prior to them mounting a new front tire, make the stipulation that the deal will be off if you detect anything after the new tire is mounted.

That is about everything I can think of now. Obviously you will have them fix anything you find in the test ride. You already mentioned the valves and steering head - Those are absolutely required by 30,000 miles. You need to make sure they actually repack the bearings, not just "check" them. Same with the swingarm bearings. Not sure how you can verify that unless you ask them to show you the bearings while they have it apart. You shouldn't have to worry about a good dealer, but a shyster will do nothing and say they did just to sell the bike as cheaply as they can. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I would also ask them to replace the 'rear' brake pads...:whistling:

I'm willing to bet the inside rear pad is half (or more) already worn out...

I would also ask them for a print out of everything or anything that has ever been done by "any" dealer so far. (this will tell you if the 6,ooo mile and or 12,000 mile service was ever performed by an authorized dealer...).

This service record will be based on the serial number of the bike..

If there ever was anything wrong or replaced under warrenty or not under warrenty, the list will show it..."IF" the service was done by an authorized dealer.

If they tell you there is no previous records to print out, that means NOTHING has ever been done..

That also means, you can tell them the 6,000 mile oil change and service call must have never been done by an authorized dealer then..

So...I would then ask them to perform that 6000 and or 12,000 mile service for free

(in the deal of course).

This is a paper copy of the service check they performed prior to you getting the bike.

Rear shock.. as earlier stated, can be replaced under warrenty.

Sit on the bike and bounce it up and down to see if the rear shock squeeks..

This doesnt mean it leaks.. but it squeeks..and you may want it replaced.

Clicking noise ...when pushing the bike forward or backwards with the engine shut off..

You yourself can check this right in front of them on the shop floor to ensure the rear hub pins are not dry.

Sit on the bike and bounce it up and down to see if the rear shock squeeks