IGNORED

LED tinkering

RoyalPain

HI all,

I've seen sporadic talk in different sections about LED mods. And I've seen that there are plenty of different kits out that can be used very well with both our 1st and 2nd Gen machines. I decided to play around with them looking for a more personal touch and I would like to anyone interested to share ideas with. With the exception of a couple of short neon tubes I will be working with adding presolderded single led's. I just this afternoon received a great big box of "oh wow now what's" so I don't have any projects to show yet. If there is any interest I would be happy to post pics of both good and bad ideas as they roll out. As well as the best sources for single ultra bright led's and supplies. I'm also really interested in hearing about any of your projects either finished or just drawingboard.

HI all,...........

I will be working with adding presolderded single led's.

I'm also really interested in hearing about any of your projects either finished or just drawing board..

My LED experience..

• Before you begin, Split fairing, and remove gas tank, driver and passenger seats
  • Make sure they are all 12 volts lights
  • Make sure they are water proof
  • Solder all wire connections (a must...)
  • Use shrink tubeing to cover / seal all solder joint connections.
  • Run a separate HOT wire from battery to a fusable link for all your LED's, then..
  • Install an on/off switch so lights are not on all the time and on a separate circut.

My LED experience..

• Before you begin, Split fairing, and remove gas tank, driver and passenger seats
  • Make sure they are all 12 volts lights
  • Make sure they are water proof
  • Solder all wire connections (a must...)
  • Use shrink tubeing to cover / seal all solder joint connections.
  • Run a separate HOT wire from battery to a fusable link for all your LED's, then..
  • Install an on/off switch so lights are not on all the time and on a separate circut.

Hey Eck

Thanks for the advice. I'm right there with you on all you had to say about anything connection related! I think these are must have pointers for anyone tinkering like this! The last thing anyone wants to do is go through all that work then have it short out or malfunction.

I'm going to be starting out experimenting in lighting the front wheel a bit, then behind the grill over the oil filter. I'm going to hold off on the trickier inner faring ideas until mother nature forces me to park it for a lengthier stretch! Another month I hope.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lightnen
HI all,

I've seen sporadic talk in different sections about LED mods. And I've seen that there are plenty of different kits out that can be used very well with both our 1st and 2nd Gen machines. I decided to play around with them looking for a more personal touch and I would like to anyone interested to share ideas with. With the exception of a couple of short neon tubes I will be working with adding presolderded single led's. I just this afternoon received a great big box of "oh wow now what's" so I don't have any projects to show yet. If there is any interest I would be happy to post pics of both good and bad ideas as they roll out. As well as the best sources for single ultra bright led's and supplies. I'm also really interested in hearing about any of your projects either finished or just drawingboard.

How's your lights comming along, I'm tinkering with idea of adding lights to the saddlebag rails but haven't come up with any at present.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at getting a set of the magical wizard lights for my RSTD, once I figure out how many LED bars I'll need (2 for engine, two for bags, two for ground, etc?).

I'll post back, I don't have much experience with the different LED companies out there but will see if I can post to find out.

• 2 weeks later...
How's your lights comming along, I'm tinkering with idea of adding lights to the saddlebag rails but haven't come up with any at present.

Hey Lighten,

Thanks to a tumble down the stairs resulting in a broken coxix (fractured @ss) :sign busted: my projects were set aside until today. LOL, and I still can't even think about riding without curling up in a little ball. For what its worth, here are a couple of places where I've found some reasonable led components. http://www.plasmaled.com/products.htm?gclid=CKmYzp3Dw5UCFQRfagodYGoIjA

http://www.besthongkong.com/index.php?cPath=13

I have to warn you, if you start playing around with these single leds, nothing is safe. I've pretty much accented just about everything I can reach from the comfort of my inflatable donut with creative backlighting.

Pain :7_6_3[1]: