IGNORED

OT: Personal health story

BamaVenture06

Hey folks - just wanted to let ya'll know what has gone on in my personal life in the last couple of years. I had 5 heart attacks in 2002 even though I was in excellent shape, owner of a fitness center, a double-certified personal trainer, ate healthy, and walked and exercised every day. Doctors said it was a heredity thing - "You can't choose your Mama & Daddy". I had to have a pacemaker and stent. Anyways, my health went into a total downward spiral from that point on. I was put on 11 different medications and told that I could not do any exercising or weight training. I had absolutely no energy and couldn't even walk the treadmill for exercise. In the next 2 years or so, I gained over 160 lbs., became pre-diabetic, developed sleep apnea, developed congestive heart failure, severe edema and swelling in my feet and legs (couldn't even get my shoes on some days), and developed several other medical probelms assoiciated with the weight gain. It just kept getting worse by the month, no matter what I did or what the Dr.'s tried - diets, medication, etc. :confused24:The Dr.'s told me that I needed to consider having gastric bypass surgery because it was probably my last resort if I hoped to live more than another 2 years or so. Additionally, I was told that with my heart history and other problems, and family heart history, the risks were greater for me if I did decide to have the surgery. Pretty heavy stuff (no pun intended) to hear from your medical experts.http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

After some very serious soul searching, discussing the situation with my wife, and many sleepless nights, I decided to have the surgery in order to try to improve the length and quality of my life. I researched bariatric surgery and surgeons like crazy and found a great bariatric surgeon, Dr. William Richards and staff, at Vanderbilt. I had the surgery on 4/28/08 and came through it great. I have since lost over 135 lbs. and feel like a new man. Because of the weight loss, I am no longer pre-diabetic, no longer have sleep apnea, no longer have congestive heart failure, no more edema, my cholestrol is great, and no loner have to take the medications, other than a daily cholesterol pill. My energy level is getting better with each passing day. The weight loss has improved my heart health tremendously according to my cardiologist. I am also now able to walk the treadmill and weight train again, but still have to light to moderate weights. Although it is a MAJOR life-long commitment and hasn't been without some major changes, I honestly know it has been a life saver for me. All in all things are really much better for me now and are getting even better by the month! :thumbsup2:

I am now back to exercising and weight training daily. Riding :7_6_2[1]: is so much more comfortable and enjoyable now too! Now that my health is improving, I hope to be able to be a more active here, and maybe even be able to make some of the rides and "Meet & Eat" events (even though I don't eat much anymore!!) I have had the pleasure of meeting a few of the members here - Eck, John Gambling, and a couple of others - and all have been super nice folks. Hopefully I will be able to meet a lot more now! Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this, and RIDE SAFE!

Me - Christmas 2007 - 386 lbs.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/BamaVulcan04/100_1153Medium.jpg

Me - Aug. 13, 2008 - 250 lbs. and still losing!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/BamaVulcan04/Bob_R__2_-_8-13-08_Medium.jpg

BamaBob

awesome!

so great to hear a good news story for once.........so glad you have been able to turn your life around and are headed down a much healthier path.

Keep up the good work and im sending prayers for continued improvement !

Thanks also for sharing with us !

You look terrific!

awesome!

so great to hear a good news story for once.........so glad you have been able to turn your life around and are headed down a much healthier path.

Keep up the good work and im sending prayers for continued improvement !

Thanks also for sharing with us !

You look terrific!

Thanks! I feel so much better now, that's for sure!:thumbsup2:

Good for you Bob. I am getting ridden by my Dr that I definitely need to lose weight or face some problems down the road. I'm currently mentally gearing up for that and I'll take inspiration from your story. I'm not in need of the surgery yet, but I need to make alot of changes in my eating and exercise habits.

Good to hear how life improving it can be.

Best of luck to you.

Well Bob,

This is GREAT news...

So glad your feeling better and things are coming around for you.

If you get to where you feel like you can make it to one of our breakfast meet & eats on most any saturday, you are more than welcome to join us. Just watch for the post, or you can call me for the next one we have planned. phone number is in my profile.

Oh,

And since you most likely wont eat much, I will even offer to buy your breakfast....:rotf:

That is fantastic news. My wife and I struggle with the whole weight thing...YOU have inspired us to once again try to do something about it!!

Congratulations!!

God bless you!

Thanks! Take care of yourselves.

Good for you Bob. I am getting ridden by my Dr that I definitely need to lose weight or face some problems down the road. I'm currently mentally gearing up for that and I'll take inspiration from your story. I'm not in need of the surgery yet, but I need to make alot of changes in my eating and exercise habits.

Good to hear how life improving it can be.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks! Best of luck with the weight loss effort.

Well Bob,

This is GREAT news...

So glad your feeling better and things are coming around for you.

If you get to where you feel like you can make it to one of our breakfast meet & eats on most any saturday, you are more than welcome to join us. Just watch for the post, or you can call me for the next one we have planned. phone number is in my profile.

Oh,

And since you most likely wont eat much, I will even offer to buy your breakfast....:rotf:

Thanks Eck!! I definitely intend to meet up with you and some of the others as soon as my schedule permits. :thumbsup2: And if you are buying, I'll have to try and eat, that's for sure!! :rotf:

My mom (78) is going thru the same with her doctor. But she is fighting his medicines. He wants her on Coumadin(?), basically a rat poison, for blood thinners. She can do the same with garlic, etc. She does the Coumadin for 6 months, not enuff according to him. She does the garlic for 6 months (plus other natural foods), and her blood is right where he wants it to be. Then she told him what she did. He about went thru the roof!!!!! Said she needed to do what he tells her! She told him to prove her wrong, then found another doctor that believes in what she's doing. Natural is definately better, in my opinion!!

Dan

:clap2:Wow!!! Congrat's to you on your achiement!!! Just think how proud your family must be and how much longer you will be around to enjoy them!!! :clap2:

Thanks! I'm wondering if the enjoyment goes for them too? BwaHahahaha!!! :rotf:

My mom (78) is going thru the same with her doctor. But she is fighting his medicines. He wants her on Coumadin(?), basically a rat poison, for blood thinners. She can do the same with garlic, etc. She does the Coumadin for 6 months, not enuff according to him. She does the garlic for 6 months (plus other natural foods), and her blood is right where he wants it to be. Then she told him what she did. He about went thru the roof!!!!! Said she needed to do what he tells her! She told him to prove her wrong, then found another doctor that believes in what she's doing. Natural is definately better, in my opinion!!

Dan

Dan, when the Doc told me absolutely no exercise, I should have known better than to listen to that. I went from being in tip-top shape to pathetic in 6 months. Of course, you trust the "experts" over your own thoughts. After all, they have been trained for this type of thing. All the first cardiologist wanted to do was give me another pill whenever I questioned him or had a problem. I changed to another cardiologist after about 16 months, but by then the problems had become overwhelming. I should have trusted my own instincts more.

Glad you wanted to share with us and congrats on your improving health. Always nice to hear good stories.

Margaret

Thanks Margaret! :thumbsup2:

GREAT NEWS Bob!! Getting back to those weights has been major for me. Stick with it!!

Thanks Dan! I can definitely tell a difference since I am working out again. :thumbsup2:

I am so glad to hear that you have come through all this medical difficulty, Bob, and are feeling better again! I have a very dear friend in NY that had the same surgery several years ago and there's no question that it saved his life.

Best Wishes! for continuing improvement with your health...

Terry

I am so glad to hear that you have come through all this medical difficulty, Bob, and are feeling better again! I have a very dear friend in NY that had the same surgery several years ago and there's no question that it saved his life.

Best Wishes! for continuing improvement with your health...

Terry

Thanks Terry!

Bob, I have had two friends that have had the same surgery and the results are incredible............Keep up the good work, your health is the most important thing.............Good luck.........

By the way, the before and after pics............You look great in the after..............:thumbsup2:

Thanks DragonRider!