IGNORED

Rain Gear Review - Nelson Rigg & Tourmaster

Sunman

I recently returned from a weekend trip up north, about 450 km each way. On my way out of town on Thurs, I saw the forcast was calling for rain on Sat, the day I was returning. So I stopped at my dealer, and purchased a Nelson Rigg Stormrider rain suit.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Rainwear-apparel/SR-6000-2-Big.htm

I know I could have gotten it cheaper on eBay, but that would have meant good planning, and that was not going to happen. Anyways, the weatherman was correct and it was pouring rain for the last 250 KM of my trip home. There are 2 reviews here, and both are positive.

First, the Nelson Rigg Stormrider rain pants. They are very easy to get into, even with my boots on. They have a boot strap, to keep the pant legs firmly down against your foot. There is long zipper vertically along the bottom of the pant, that you can zip closed after you get your feet out the bottom. There is an elastic around the waist, that gives you lots of room to slide your hand inside the rain pant, to get into your regular pants pockets, how do I know this? Well, I forgot the key for the bike in my pocket, and then put the rain pants on at the gas station. There is also lots of reflective striping around the legs to make you very visible. After riding 250 KM in a downpour, my jeans were completely dry. All in all, they functioned as well as I could have hoped, and a reasonable price.

So, why am I only reviewing the Nelson Rigg Stormrider pants? Well, I did not use the jacket, although I did try it on for size, and it fits perfectly over my riding jacket. The reason I did not use the Nelson Rigg jacket, is I wanted to test my new Tourmaster Flex jackets waterproofing.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=248&cat=3

And I was not disappointed. Some of you may remember I recently sold my Joe Rocket jacket to Squidley, and I bought a new Tourmast Flex jacket system. The Flex has a main mesh jacket, that holds the 5 piece CE armor system, givng you shoulder, elbow and back dual density armour plates for impact, and slide protection. When worm alone, it is a perfect hot weather jacket, with FULL ventilation, that feels like riding in a T-shirt alone, similar to the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, while affording you excellet protection from abrasion, and the elements. There is a full outer shell that is 100% waterproof, that ZIPS to the outside, along the neck, sides and cuffs. There are ventilation zippers in the chest to allow for air flow. These zippers are waterproof when they are closed, using a rubber flap system to seal the zippers, along with velcro to keep the zipper covers closed. This system works perfectly, and the shell is really waterproof, keeping me almost completely dry. The only moisture I got in my jacket at all, came in via the hand holes at the cuff. I am sure if I had tightened the cuff flaps, that would have been solved. I was dry top to bottom. The Flex jacket is listed as "water resistant" and I am really not sure what the difference is between that and "water proof" but at highway speeds for almost 3 hours in the rain, no significant water got to me in my jacket, so that will be good enough for me. I doubt I will ever even use the Nelson Rigg jacket, as it seems like it would be overkill. There is also a full sleeved inner thermal liner, to keep you warm come the fall and cold weather riding days. All 3 units together, will certainly keep you warm and dry.

I just wanted to review some new apparel that I got this year, and let you know what I found. Hope it helps.

Sonny

Edited by Sunman
Forgot to add something

We've worn the Nelson Rigg for about 5 years now and gotten alot of use from them. I agree that they are an excellent deal. There are some cheaper but in my opinion, none better. we've worn them for 2-3 days in a row on some of our longer trips and they are dry and comfortable.

Guest BluesLover

Thanks for the review Sonny. I've been debating on what to replace my current Frogg-Toggs rain gear with and like the sounds of the Nelson Riggs experience. Where were you able to buy it in the Hamilton area? I didn't see a listing for a Canadian dealer.

Cheers,

I have a Nelson Rigg suit AX-1....I rode across Nova Scotia this summer on the way back from the Kitchener Rally in torrential rain and did not get wet at all. Very comfortable and is sized nicely to wear over protective gear. I would not recommend the Choko glove covers...they are a 3 finger nylon cover to wear over your gloves...totally useless.

Keith

Sonny, glad to hear you made it home safely last night. That was me in the black Toyota Camry that pulled up beside you and waved on highway 11 just before the 400 north of Barrie. That suit you were wearing is also very reflective at night because I seen you from quite a distance away. I reconized your bike as soon as I pulled up beside you, and I rememered your post about you going up to North Bay. I'm glad you stayed dry because it did rain hard there last night. Did you remove your gas tank emblems?

Also, on the way up to Washago yesterday afternoon, I seen a 2000 Millienium Venture heading north on the 400 at Barrie riding 2 up.

Just wondering who that was.

Thanks for the review Sonny. I've been debating on what to replace my current Frogg-Toggs rain gear with and like the sounds of the Nelson Riggs experience. Where were you able to buy it in the Hamilton area? I didn't see a listing for a Canadian dealer.

Cheers,

I got it at Cycle City in Burlington. They are on Queensway drive. I am sure if they don't have your size in stock, they can get it.

Sonny, glad to hear you made it home safely last night. That was me in the black Toyota Camry that pulled up beside you and waved on highway 11 just before the 400 north of Barrie. That suit you were wearing is also very reflective at night because I seen you from quite a distance away. I reconized your bike as soon as I pulled up beside you, and I rememered your post about you going up to North Bay. I'm glad you stayed dry because it did rain hard there last night. Did you remove your gas tank emblems?

Also, on the way up to Washago yesterday afternoon, I seen a 2000 Millienium Venture heading north on the 400 at Barrie riding 2 up.

Just wondering who that was.

Wow! I do remember that. It was kinda hard to see you in the car, it was dark and you have tinted windows. But I saw the wave, at first I was not sure what you were trying to tell me. I had a new gas tank put on, as mine was a bit rusty when I bought it. My bike was 2 years old, never even started, brand new. So all that time sitting without fuel caused a bit of rust. Yamaha warranteed a new tank. I asked them not to put the badges or warning stickers on, so I have those in a bag in my garage. Thanks for the input on my reflective stripes.

Sonny

Guest BluesLover
I got it at Cycle City in Burlington. They are on Queensway drive. I am sure if they don't have your size in stock, they can get it.

Thanks Sonny.

I used to live in Burlington (on Cavendish Dr - Brant and Upper Middle area), so I know where they are at. Just may make a trip out that way.

Cheers,