IGNORED

Tire Recommendation for 86 Venture

I was using the Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear and ordered an Elite 3 for the front to use when the Elite 2 wears out. After 6 months the order had not been filled. Apparently the Dulop Elite 2 is no longer being made and the Elite 3 is not available. I cancelled my order.

My question is what is the next best tires for my 86 Venture? Should I order Metzlers or something else?

:Venture:

I run the Metzlers ME880's on my '86 and have had not problems with 7500 miles on them. Others here have had the tires breakdown. My son runs Avons and likes them so next go round, I'll probably go that route just to be safe. You don't want tire troubles when you only have two.

Dave

I was using the Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear and ordered an Elite 3 for the front to use when the Elite 2 wears out. After 6 months the order had not been filled. Apparently the Dulop Elite 2 is no longer being made and the Elite 3 is not available. I cancelled my order.

My question is what is the next best tires for my 86 Venture? Should I order Metzlers or something else?

:Venture:

My 93 had the E-IIs on it when I got it, and finished wearing them out. Had no issues with them and liked the looks so ordered a new set. After 2 months of excuses on how come they could not get them, I found a set of Miclelin Commanders and had them installed. I really liked the improved handling and still do. I would recomment them without pause.

DJ

I have had very good luck with the Elite III on the rear and the Elite II on the front.

These are readily available, but only with RWL (Raised White Lettering).

I have a post elswhere here with the links to the place I've bought my last 3 or 4 Dunlops.

Until I have the need to match brands (and don't want to do that), I'll stick with the Dunlops. I have very good wear, no cupping or tread problems and good wet traction.

If you can't find the front, PM me.

Murph'

Your gonna get lots of opinions here, but I'll say this

DONT BUY 880 METZLERS!

I know there are folks here that use them with no problems. But there are many here that have used them and had chunks of their tires come off. 2 tires I will run on any Venture, Michelin Commanders or Avon Venoms, the Avons are my best choice. I know folks run the Dunlops and love them. I dont like how Dunlops handle in the rain ( I haven't tried the E3's yet and probably wont) They will track a tar snake and I have had a tar snake in the rain grab the front tire and yank the bike over. As soon as I can I will be taking the Dunlops off my '08 and put Avons on it.

Tires are a funny thing as there are as many tires as there are different riding styles. If your a highway man, perhaps the Dunlops are for you. if you like to get in the twisties a bit then the Michelin or Avon is good for you. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing sometimes :)

Put Avon "Venoms" on my '88 and can't imagine going with anything else. Couldn't believe how much better the bike handled. It just feels like it's glued to the rode and very stable in the twisties. Now I'm not one that's going to scrape anything in the curves on purpose, but I am really impressed with these tires.

i am now running an Avon on the front and a Dunlop elite 3 on the rear and love it. i have over 10,000 on the pair, they track straight, quiet ride, and handle well in the corners, just back from Ashville and tail of the dragon.

to get more info on Metzeler, go to the Search box and type in Metzeler and there you will find some more comments/failures on those tires. my wife and i survived a Metz tire failure.

if you do buy those tires i would highly recommend you increase your life insurance..

There has been a couple people who had a issue with the Avons and a wobble but on the first gens only. These same people who had the wobble have had a couple different sets with no problems using Avons.

Brad I believe the Dunlop and Michelin have a very similar tread design. At least you did not get the Bridgestones, and you will be able to wear these out before changing.

Brad

i am now running an Avon on the front and a Dunlop elite 3 on the rear and love it. i have over 10,000 on the pair, they track straight, quiet ride, and handle well in the corners, just back from Ashville and tail of the dragon.

quote]

This is what I am running on my 83 and like them. The Avon still had a lot of tread on the front when I replaced the rear with an Elite III. When I replace the front tire, I will probably go back with the Avon. The E3 fells much better on the back than the Avon did as I had wobble problems from 70mph up.

RandyA

I like my pirelli's. Goose liked them mostly but did not get the mileage he was hoping for out of them. That is one long distance and often riding dude. Look for his threads on tire recommendations on tires. He is a 2nd gen rider and his experiences are on those bikes. I do trust his thoughts and experience though.

Btw, that is V7Goose.

I just put Continental Conti-Tours on. Put about 1500 miles so far. Ride is good. Feels sure-footed. Ran in the rain today with no problems. Rear is rated for 910lbs ay 49psi. I am playing with pressures right now. Started at 40 front and 45 rear. Too stiff. I have dropped to 35 front and rear. I may move up a few pounds. The Continentals have a different rubber compound in the center and an extra belt. Supposed to give long life and better ride.

JB

Lonestarmedic, a few posts back I mentioned that I've installed Conti Tours on my 88 VR, both at the same time. I've also been playing with tire pressure. 40 and 45 is definitely too stiff.

I've only had them on for 600 miles, and so far 37 front and 40 rear works best for me.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I run the Metzlers ME880's on my '86 and have had not problems with 7500 miles on them. Others here have had the tires breakdown. My son runs Avons and likes them so next go round, I'll probably go that route just to be safe. You don't want tire troubles when you only have two.

Dave

I have an 86VR just like yours and I had a Metzeler 880 rear tire start losing chunks at about 6000....In all fairness the front tire has over 20k on it and still looking good

NO METZLERS FOR ME!

Neway, back to what I was gonna say.

I ran Conti-Twins on my ole '76 Honda SuperSport 400-4 (my first street bike) back when I was 14/15. I ran Mullholland drive and Hwy on those. Drug my knees with that bike. I never dropped that bike around corners or in straight line (won't say I never dropped the bike). It held well and proved itself to be a high mileage tire.

I ran Dunlops after that on my XS Eleven, they stuck well but thread life was short in comparison.