IGNORED

Cut me off, lady...come on, I dare ya! Cut me off!!

Semi-retired

Just HAD to post a new thread to extol the virtues of my new Stebel horn.

I love it!

Haven't even blown anyone's doors off yet........but I know I'm gonna!

If you DON'T have one......go buy one today.

Never let that goof in the Ford pickup or that little old lady in the Mercury Marquis drift aimlessly into your lane again!!

I can't WAIT for my first altercation.

Am I sounding passive/aggressive yet? Too many years of being cut off, I guess.

Have a great weekend, folks......I know I WILL!!

Mike

The horns are great, I have one.

But I also know that 2 1/2 tons of steel will win every single time against a motorcycle.

My favorite pet peeve is peple talking on the phone while they are driving down the freeway at 70 MPH taking MY LIFE in their hands.

I now always have my thumb on the horn button while I am in traffic. It is a real good thing that I don't care a hand gun because I would be in the gray bar hotel along time ago.

It is amazing what people do while driving and on the phone. Follow one sometime it is really scary what happens.

I gotta go take a vallium or something.

Be carefull out there!

Steve

Stebel a very loud horn which will really piss off the person in a car who is on a cell phone and holding a hot coffee or a large very cold drink when you honk the horn,so honk and enjoy the fact that you've been heard and seen!

"mobile"

I had to use mine just the other day for the first time. Some guy in a PU looked right over my head. I knew just the way he looked past me he didn't see me. I had my thumb ready and sure as heck, he started to pull on the road in front of me. I layed on the horn and let him have it. That got his attention. He looked at me go by like I was a Tractor Trailer.

Great feeling to be heard.

Thanks for this post mike. If there is any single suggestion that can be a big improvement on a motorcycle, it is a real loud horn. I have had a set of air horns on my 83 for at least ten years. There is NO doubt that they have saved me from serious injury or even death. There have been several times in the last 96,000 miles that someone was absolutely committed to take my space and if I had not had loud horns, it would have been a crash. I could not have avoided them.

Air horns do not have to be expensive to work good. For years I have had horns from Harbor Freight that cost about $10 when on sale. They include the horns, compressor, wiring, relay, hoses and instructions. The only downside is these come in red, but I just pull the bell part out and paint them gloss black. On a 1st gen, they mount nicely under the fairing.

Given I have replaced them a couple of times over the years, I now have a separate compressor for each horn and there is plenty of room in each fairing for the compressor. They are designed to have two horns run off a single compressor, but a compressor for each horn makes them even louder.

We need to put some kind of program together to help those that want to put louder horns on to get it done. Maybe several of us could show some pictures on how easy it can be. It could truly save some lives.

Just keep in mind that when you pull your bike out on the road, you are the last thing on someone else's mind. With windows up and A/C on along with music blasting, cell phones and text messaging, you must have something that will get thru all that.

Again, thanks mike for sharing this and your enthusiasm. It might motivate someone to get some horns that may save their life.

RandyA

The only thing I suggest is this post be moved to Watering Hole.

I hear ya, Steve. (pun intended).....but if the RSV gets much heavier outta the box (not to mention add-ons) those Chevy's won't weight much more than we do before long!!

LOL:thumbsup2:

Mike

The horns are great, I have one.

But I also know that 2 1/2 tons of steel will win every single time against a motorcycle.

You're right, Schlepp.....it IS funny.

Put my new horn on on Friday.....didn't blow it once (except at those short-shorts) all weekend.

I think it might be the infamous "nuclear deterrence" factor! You know, once you've got FIRST STRIKE capability, you're just slightly less likely to let go and OBLITERATE someone.

(Note to car drivers: read above again, where I said "just SLIGHTLY less likely".

Mike

It's funny, I've had my horn on my bike for a 3 weeks now and haven't had to honk at anyone yet. Yet before I put the horn on, it was up to 3 times a week. Do you think the cagers can sense that you've got a loud horn and an itchy trigger thumb?

Randy, thanks for your support/input. I thought about Watering Hole vs Tech: The reason I put this in the technical area is because I think a lot of guys shy away from this safety oriented product simply because of the somewhat "technical" nature of the installation. (As opposed to a new mirror or grips.)

We shouldn't be shy about saving a life.....especially our own.

My advice is that anyone who's not technically inclined (I'm not the greatest) should ASK A FRIEND to help them install one of these potential life savers.

• Thanks for this post mike. If there is any single suggestion that can be a big improvement on a motorcycle, it is a real loud horn.
  • There is NO doubt that they have saved me from serious injury or even death.
  • Air horns do not have to be expensive to work good.
  • We need to put some kind of program together to help those that want to put louder horns on to get it done.
  • Maybe several of us could show some pictures on how easy it can be. It could truly save some lives.
  • Just keep in mind that when you pull your bike out on the road, you are the last thing on someone else's mind. With windows up and A/C on along with music blasting, cell phones and text messaging...

I wish I had put one on my wife's Subaru. A wwek ago last Friday some woman on a cell phone cut over too soon after passing. Maureen blew her horn but the woman kept comming. After the second attempt the woman finally reuturned to her lane. By then it was too late and my wife's car was already off into the soft stuff. According to a witness she rolled the car 5 times before it stopped. Car was totalled and Maureen escaped with no broken bones but continues to get stiffer each day. The witness chased the woman long enough to get a plate number but she kept going. The State Police later told us that the woman admitted seing the car rolling in her rearview mirror so she called 911 but since she never actually hit my wife's car she didn't stop. Therefore not a hit-and-run but she will be cited for causing the accident.

We will be getting another Subaru and I will be ordering a louder horn!!

Praise God that he spared Maureen's life!

I wish I had put one on my wife's Subaru. A wwek ago last Friday some woman on a cell phone cut over too soon after passing. Maureen blew her horn but the woman kept comming. After the second attempt the woman finally reuturned to her lane. By then it was too late and my wife's car was already off into the soft stuff. According to a witness she rolled the car 5 times before it stopped. Car was totalled and Maureen escaped with no broken bones but continues to get stiffer each day. The witness chased the woman long enough to get a plate number but she kept going. The State Police later told us that the woman admitted seing the car rolling in her rearview mirror so she called 911 but since she never actually hit my wife's car she didn't stop. Therefore not a hit-and-run but she will be cited for causing the accident.

We will be getting another Subaru and I will be ordering a louder horn!!

Praise God that he spared Maureen's life!

When we bought our Kia Sportage last year it had a horn as pathetic as the bikes stocker is. One of the first things I did was go down to the local auto parts and bought a Bad Boy air horn and installed it. Pretty much the same as the Stebel but less glitter so being under the hood it's fine. Wife is happier, as well as I am knowing now if we need to hit the horn button we'll be heard.

Larry

...We need to put some kind of program together to help those that want to put louder horns on to get it done. RandyA
That sounds like a really good idea. I'm all thumbs when it comes to electrical connections, but can get it done if someone will show me the way. I'd definitely like to have new "LOUD" horns.

• 4 months later...

Great idea for a general tech section write-up with schematic and pictures?

It always sounds simple to those with electrical experience and a total bewilderment to others, when a diagram and pictures solves the "mystery".

So many mount extra lights to be seen but sound is an important item... how often we see someone look our way and you just KNOW they didn't recognize anything...

(and these aren't small bikes !!!)

On the 2nd Gen, you need the CarbonOne mounting bracket and the wiring kit.

I know, I know... you can do your own wiring kit with relays etc. However, you can purchase one ready made for about $25, along with the horn at $40, and CarbonOne's bracket at $17.

I wish I had taken pics when I installed mine last year. It is easy to do.

If anyone is in the area and needs help, let me know. When the weather clears up and warms up, there will be plenty of room in the shop to get a horn installed.

RR

How does the Stebel compare to the Rivco? They are only 6-9 decibels different. I have had the Rivco for six years and they move traffic just fine.

3 db is a power factor of 2:1

6 db is a power factor of 4:1

9 db is a power factor of 9:1

Also, what is the difference of the distance that they were measured as in free space, power dissipates by the cube of the distance.

For my money, the Stable compact air horn was the BEST money I have spent on an accessory for any vehicle I have ever owned!!!!!!!!!

The best way to tell would be to get two bikes with the horns installed and do a side by side honk off....

The best way to tell would be to get two bikes with the horns installed and do a side by side honk off....

I rode in our local Veteran's Day Parade with the local Gold Wing group. There were about 20 bikes in our group and we'd all honk at the parade viewers. I have two of the "Bad Boy" horns (Stebel clones) on my 84 VR. My set-up was louder than anything any other rider in our group had.

How does the Stebel compare to the Rivco? They are only 6-9 decibels different. I have had the Rivco for six years and they move traffic just fine.

I just picked up a set of 415 Wolo's www.wolo-mfg.com off Ebay. They're the metal model with the bell cover. They also come in plastic. Anyway, has anyone ever tried a set of these?? Got 'm for a pretty decent price, but if they're junk, I won't bother mounting them....

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/415-big.jpg

I've had mine {Stebel} for over a year and have to agree it is a lifesaver. On the other note, have any of you ever reached down to use the turn signals and hit that horn button instead? WOW will that scare the bejuses out of you.:rotfl::rotfl::D