IGNORED

V Star oil leak

Pappa Bear

A friend at work picked up a 2001 V Star 1100. It has a small oil leak on the front of the motor! Is this a common problem with these motors? The leak looks like it might be coming from a small cover behind the front exhaust pipe, the cover looks to be round with 2 Allen bolts on either side to tighten. Does anyone know what hat cover is for? Thanks for the help :2cents:

the oil filter is on the right side down low where the front exhaust pipe crosses the crankcase,if somebody don't answer this before I go by the storage building I"ll look on one of mine but of the 3, I have never had a leak anywhere except the oil filter o-ring. Is it on the cylinder head or the crankcase down below the exhaust , all the covers have little o-rings.

The oil filter is in the lower ride side, behind a cover. The exhaust pipe has to be removed to get to it. PIA. Crummy design. But I'll tell you, I can remove the exhaust pipe a whole lot of times for what those oil filter relocation kits cost.

My wife rides one of these bikes, so I went out to have a look. I've never noticed that little cover in there. I have no idea what it's for. I couldn't even find anything about it in the shop manual. A good way to find out is to take it off and see what's behind it. Maybe the cam chain? I don't know. If that's where the leak is coming from, it needs a new gasket or O ring anyway.

The cover behind the front tire with the 2 allen screws holding it on, is the cover for the lifter adjustment. i believe its chrome. Remove the cover and you'll see the valve spring and rocker arm. This is where you make the valve adjustment. The cover has a rubber type gasket around it. You can purchase them from your Yamaha dealer. Replace the rubber gasket and your problem is over. Once you remove the cover, it will all make sence. Good Luck!

thanks for the replies everyone, I'm sure it will ease his mind having a little more knowledge about it

The cover is chromed and oval shaped? That's the adjuster access panel.. and be gentle with the screws, they can strip out easy.. which is a pain if you adjust the valves a lot.. ; )

No, the cover is black and round shaped and is on the lower half of the cylinder, if your not looking for it you will look right past it. I stopped at his place today after work, he said he just got done lookin at it and the bolt on the one side was finger loose! He snugged them back down and was gonna take it for a spin later to see if that was the leak. The dealer said the cover was a tension adjustment cover, and a new rubber gasket was about a buck 50. I'll let ya know how it turns out.