IGNORED

Sturgis on Venture?

Seaking

I hadn't been able to do much distance travelling this year due to surgery the other month but I am planning on doing some big runs for next year, Rolling Thunder in May being the first one.. I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada (that's up and to the right of Maine for you Yanks ;)

I had always wanted to try Sturgis but always felt it was a hard core HD event where anyone not riding an HD is shunned and not made to feel welcomed.. Until I came to this forum where I see some people had gone and plan to go again. What's the story there? Do you guys do a Venture group ride in kind of thing? I'd love to hear more about it..

Cheers

I went to Sturgis 2 times on a 1996 Royal Star and had a great time both times, never any problems. Actually, I have encountered more "attitudes" here in the Texas Panhandle than I did in Sturgis. You will see every kind of bike ever made while at Sturgis.

My experience was that if you wanted to be around the hard core folks and possibly some less than stellar behavior, you pretty much had to go to it.

I hadn't been able to do much distance travelling this yto surgery the other month but I am planning on doing some big runs for next year, Rolling Thunder in May being the first one.. I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada (that's up and to the right of Maine for you Yanks ;)

I had always wanted to try Sturgis but always felt it was a hard core HD event where anyone not riding an HD is shunned and not made to feel welcomed.. Until I came to this forum where I see some people had gone and plan to go again. What's the story there? Do you guys do a Venture group ride in kind of thing? I'd love to hear more about it..

Cheers

I went to Sturgis 2 times on a 1996 Royal Star and had a great time both times, never any problems. Actually, I have encountered more "attitudes" here in the Texas Panhandle than I did in Sturgis. You will see every kind of bike ever made while at Sturgis.

My experience was that if you wanted to be around the hard core folks and possibly some less than stellar behavior, you pretty much had to go to it.

Thanks M8.. I might well try to make it a go for next year.. catch some sights along the way.. Shame how I used to live in Saskatchewan to the north and never made it to Sturgis.. Now that I live on the east coast it's that much farther.. Oh well, the ride should be fun =)

This was our first year there and we had a great time. We went for the riding and sightseeing and it was great. On the first full day there we went into Sturgis early and checked out all the vendors and a few of the bars. Then the rest of the week we checked out the sites and the roads. Devils tower, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer state park, needles hyw ect. The last Sunday it was back to Sturgis for the deals on t shirts and souvenirs. I was hoping to get together with other venturider members but that didn't happen this year. This is a link to the pictures we took when we were there.

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=tomandpam&AID=5465269

You can get an idea of how good the roads are.

Tom

Guest tx2sturgis

I just made the trip to Sturgis on my Venture.....and I have always rode up there on the Harley in years past!

Sturgis is a huge, dynamic event. No one has time to worry about what someone else is riding...there are literally thousands of japanese, american other, european, italian, russian, and home made bikes, all over the place. If someone sets about monitoring what others around him are riding, he will be a very busy person!

Harleys tend to be the loudest, prettiest, chromiest :mo money: and most

noticeable of all the bikes, except for the Boss Hoss's and some customs...but in fact all the large manufacturers have an important presence at the rally, and the Star Motorcycles display is quite prominent right on Lazelle street, on one of the main drags thru town.

On the four lane curvy road between Deadwood and Sturgis, where motorcycle traffic is thick during the rally, most of the Harleys are riding in the right lane, negotiating the curves in no particular hurry. Its fun on the Venture to blast thru the curves, owning the left lane, putting thousands of loud, pretty Harleys in my back pocket.

Yeah...you will LIKE Sturgis on a Venture!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Got back from Sturgis, a week ago. I know, it ended 3 weeks ago, but I had to fly to Mobile for 2 weeks of work, so I didn't finish my trip until later. Rode my Venture; only spent one day in Sturgis, and a couple of days in the Black Hills, riding. No problems, lots of bikes, watch out for the critters on the rode. Rode on to Missoula for a week before heading back.

Missed a few phone calls there; cell phone reception is terrible.

Got back from "the Hills" yesterday, had a blast. Should be able to got to the rally next year. Would love to get a M&E going for then. Saw 2 Ventures while we were there, one like mine, twice, but couldn't get his attention, and I think an 87 blue one in Keystone. Gave him a thumbs up and told him my 83 was up the block.

Was over 1000 mi. in 3 days. Rain and bad wind coming home. But an awesome time.

:rudolf:

When we were in Worland, Wymoing this year we met a couple of older fellows staying at the same hotel and chatted them up about where they were going and such.

As they left in the morning one of them handed me a card and said "you can tell everyone you met one of the founders of the Sturgis Road Gypsies". These guys started the rally there!

What they were riding? An older BMW and a VMax....

I always thought Sturgis was a Harley event. I think it just got taken over...

Guest tx2sturgis
When we were in Worland, Wymoing this year we met a couple of older fellows staying at the same hotel and chatted them up about where they were going and such.

As they left in the morning one of them handed me a card and said "you can tell everyone you met one of the founders of the Sturgis Road Gypsies". These guys started the rally there!

What they were riding? An older BMW and a VMax....

I always thought Sturgis was a Harley event. I think it just got taken over...

Does that card say Sturgis Road Gypsies? Never heard of them. But if he handed you a Jackpine Gypsies card of some kind, he may have been one of the early members.

http://www.sturgis.com/rallyhistory.html

http://www.jackpinegypsies.com/history.html

And no, its not a 'Harley Event'...its a Motorcycle Event...a BIG one. So yeah, lots of Harleys, and everything else. Everything on 2 wheels, 3 wheels, 4 wheels, more wheels, plus helicopters, hang gliders, trains, powered paragliders, RV's, trailers, buses, concerts, vendors, beautiful women, beautiful riding, and beer...lots and lots of beer.

Yes, Harleys are a big presence, and so are Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis, BMWs, Victories, Ducatis, Urals, Ridleys, Lehmans, MotorTrikes, Corbins, Gems, GMCs, Fords, Chryslers, Segues, and every imaginable thing that rolls on wheels or tracks, has wings or props.

However, you dont see many boats.:scratchchin:

Taken over? Nah. Theres room for anything and everything at Sturgis.

This year was my first time to go to Sturgis. I just completed an 6500 mile round trip from Atlanta, Ga to Sturgis then a tour of the west on the way back home to Atlanta. In my opionion, once you've been to one bike rally you pretty much have been to them all. Granted Sturgis is one ,if not the, largest as far as motorcycles attending. But the rally pretty much was like all of the other ones I've been to. The same vendors, the same sort of main street activities, the same sort of assortment of bike, bikers and attitudes. But, I believe what makes each rally unique is the locale and rides associated with the locale. The Black Hills, in south Dakota was awesume as was all the rides I enjoyed in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Texas.

I guess what I'm saying is by all means do the Sturgis thing the trip will be well worth it but only because,

It's not the destination it's the journey:7_6_3[1]:

Does that card say Sturgis Road Gypsies? Never heard of them. But if he handed you a Jackpine Gypsies card of some kind, he may have been one of the early members.

[/b]

yup, you're right, I checked the card and it says Jackpine Road Gypsies. Couple of real nice guys! The card I have is from Bob Moore, beemer rider.

You so close Id check out Americade and Laconia's right after in NH.

http://www.tourexpo.com/

http://www.laconiamcweek.com/

I did Laconia last year and to be honest, wasn't too keen on it.. a few custom bike builders, tons of vendors selling the same stuff, a lot of traffic but the scenery around the area was fan-freaking-tastic.. Got to do the top of the mountain run in the most beautiful day ever. Cops who pulled us over didn't know what to make of our 'exagerated accents' from the east coast of Canada "aboot wot eh byes?", well it got us out of a ticket anyway.. ; )

There are a lot of fun people who attend these things and a lot of posers..

Last year we did Port Dover Friday the 13th in July and Rolling Thunder in May..

Next year, I hope to be able to do Rolling Thunder, Laconia, Sturgis and a bunch of these Venture group gatherings I'm reading about.. sounds like a lot of fun.. ; )

I just need to find a way how to stay connected online enough to get my work done.. can't be away for more than 10 days at a time max. sigh

My view on Sturgis is alot like my view on the Dragon....its a bike mecca that one who rides must do at least once.

Done Sturgis once....it was ok, loved the area rides more though. Got to do the dragon in this life time.....its on the list.

Are you on the same list as I am? lol.. Have you done Port Dover in Ontario? ANY friday the 13th.. quite impressive in 2007 as it fell in July.. apparently they do it even in the dead of winter.. (brrrrr)

I've heard a lot of the Dragon Tail, sounds awesome. I did manage to get up on Mount Washington on a bright sunny day last year.. got to the top, coudln't breathe.. thought it might have been the altitude, lack of oxygen but turned out to be such an adrenelin rush and the grin on my face causing the tightiness in my chest.. and knowing I had to go back down LOLOL.. I did on my VStar.. dunno if I would do it on the Venture.. just because of it being top heavy.. that's the only reason I would hesitate.. (I said hesitate but knowing me... I'd have to try it.. at least I'd have cool battle scars on the bike hehe)

• 1 year later...
Guest tx2sturgis

How about a revival of this thread?

Anyone going to Sturgis this year? I've already purchased my camping spot at Glencoe. Had a blast in 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007,and 2008, missed 2009, but come hell or high water, I'm going THIS year!

Any one who plans on going, and hasnt got a camping spot picked out yet, youd be welcome to camp with us. Its $140 per person for the week.

http://www.glencoecamp.com/

See you in the Black Hills!

My husband and I went to Sturgis last year on our RSV99 from Cincinnati, Ohio. It was 3600 miles round trip. We were there during the hail storm.

We were alone, not in a group. The majority of the bikes are Harley's, but we did not have any problems.

We met a lot of great people and really enjoyed riding in the Badlands, and the Black Hills. It was beautiful.

We camped in Spearfish- without reservations- and had no problem getting a site to camp at.

We had a great time.

Yama Mama:smile5:

Guest tx2sturgis

Do we have any real interest in a Royal Star Venture/Tour Deluxe get together?

Are there enough members that are going?

I'd be in favor of a meet-n-eat at one of the local hangouts...If anyone is interested, just post a note here.

If we get enough interest this year, say 5 or more bikes, maybe we can set up a time and location.

Anyone?

The Black Hills is a GREAT place to ride, but it's too crowded during Sturgis to truely enjoy the ride.:Venture:

+1 on too crowded! I love the Black Hills and the roads are GREAT, but during the rally I'd rather be elsewhere....To many bikes on the road usually (especially spring and fall before or after tourist season) you've got the roads kind of to yourself and to me that makes for better "riding". As for the rally, well, you should see it ONCE--if it's got wheels on it, somebody will ride it to Sturgis! And the sights are interesting too (ever see a "chain" bikini?), but that's another story:2133: