IGNORED

Ideas for garage heater

86Royale

I use a kerosene heater under a ceiling fan blowing down. Its portable, cost me about 100 bucks at wallyworld. I was using about 120 bucks a winter to heat the garage. I was spending several nights a week in it. And it was a double, not insulated.

I found a 110 cloths drier took it apart leaving the heating coil & fan a little cut & paste & WALLA a forced air heater, heats things up & has a timer so I know when it shut off I better head home. :canada::canada::canada:

Guest tx2sturgis
I use a kerosene heater under a ceiling fan blowing down. Its portable, cost me about 100 bucks at wallyworld. I was using about 120 bucks a winter to heat the garage. I was spending several nights a week in it. And it was a double, not insulated.

I lived in San Antone one winter. You can practically heat your house there with a couple of candles.

And oh yeah....flowers. Might help out on those cold nites when the wifey makes you spend several nights in the garage.

:big-grin-emoticon:

I have a one car enclosed car port with no insulation 12'X25'. What I been using is a cheap counter top electric heater which does real good keeping the place warm and there are times I have to shut it off due to it getting to hot in there. But I never leave it running while I'm gone...

Some day I would like to put concrete in my other shop building which has dirt floor right now . Like I said some day - it will take about $3,000 to set concrete in a 30' X 40' shop. So it looks like the cheap heater will be used again this year....

Buddy

I used (4) heat lamps in my old single car garage up in Grove City, PA. when I lived there and it worked fine.. didnt make it super hot in there at all but comfortable enough to work in a long sleeved shirt with out a coat on ..

Just make darn sure there is nothing around them that can catch on fire....

I didnt spend all day out there, but long enough to do two or three hour tasks....they work fine

I use a 1500 Watt electric heater in my insulated 1 car garage and it keeps it around 60 degrees in the middle of winter, and doesn't take too long to get up there either. I'm a little leary of using anything like kerosene or propane heaters in a well insulated garage due to the possibility of CO2 buildup...

I use an electric heater and spike it with a knipco as needed. If I was going to get serious about heating it I would use a Hot Dawg by Modine. My sons have these and they work great. A hanging heater that is vented so you don't suffocate and is out of the way. Not exactly cheap but sometimes it is better to spend the cash for a better way especially in the cold area here. The boys only heat as needed not every day, so the expense is minimal. Also it is thermostat contolled the same as your house. Here as a link to a dealer just to show the heater.

http://www.gas-space-heater.com/modine-hot-dawg.html

I have a 20'x20' x8' insulated shop. I heat with a propane agricultural heater that my son sells. Cost me about $120.00 last year, (not even 2 100 lb propane tanks), heats the shop in about 2 minutes flat to 60 degrees, uses outside air, but you need an outlet to the outside so fresh heated air can blow in. No problem with chemicals etc because the fire is outside and it blows air before it fires, so the furnace is clear. Doesn't take any inside room either. Don't know if yours is attached to your house, but your home insurance might have something to say about how you heat your shop if it is.

http://www.rollseal.net/rollseal2000/heaters.htm

Lots of suggestions. I use one of those Lasko upright fan/ossilating heaters with a built in thermostat from SAM's Club.. Small foot print, sets in a corner, and I leave it on 24/7 during the winter set at around 65 degs. Keeps things warm and toasty. The problem I see with heaters that are only run when it's extremely cold is everything gets cold and it takes forever to bring the temp up. The Lasko cycles on and off, and it's always nice.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=116

I have been using one of these for 2 winters in Columbus Ohio

In a 2 car 20 x 20 attached garage

with a 16 lbs propane tank from the grill

it takes about a hour to warm up that's the down side

I can get about 3 weekends out of the tank

burns pretty not much fumes

I insulated the Garage with foam panels from home depot

Ride Safe

I'm taking my horizontal furnace (propane) I had in the house, replacing the burners and putting it up in the rafters of my garage. Building a couple of snouts to put the air down where it belongs. Tired of screwing with kerosene and portable heaters.

Dan

I vent the exhaust from my Harley out a small window and let it idle for about 15 minutes. Garage is fairly comfy for a while. On really cold nights, I have had thoughts of picking up a second HD for adding BTUs but those thoughts quickly vanish.

'Bought what they're good for, huh?

LOL

Dan

I'm finally going to insulate my garage tomorrow. It's just a small 1 car unit, anyone have any good thoughts on a reasonably priced heating source?

My brother-in-law has Hot-Dawg for a 2 stall insullated shop and it just bearly idle and then turns off. very nice unit and well worth the money . I am looking at doing the same with mt one stall.

A man has to have a space to call his own!and hopfully she can't find ya. LOL

Guest tx2sturgis

http://www.heatershop.com/images/mh12t_big.jpg

I use one of those propane burners on the top of a propane bottle. Portable and cheap!

Yeah I know...'outdoor only'...I consider my garage as outdoors, since it is a detached, unheated, drafty, garage.

You can get them at Wally for less than $40.

I use one of those propane burners on the top of a propane bottle. Portable and cheap!

Yeah I know...'outdoor only'...I consider my garage as outdoors, since it is a detached, unheated, drafty, garage.

You can get them at Wally for less than $40.

The problem with those radiating heaters is they only warm the surface of the thing they're pointed at. They don't warm the air. We had them for one year at our deer camp in Colorado, and they were a PITA. If you didn't stand right in front of it you froze... and you had to keep turning to keep warm. Kinda like a pig on a spit... Made getting your skivies on in the morning very interesting.... :rotf:

The problem with those radiating heaters is they only warm the surface of the thing they're pointed at. They don't warm the air. We had them for one year at our deer camp in Colorado, and they were a PITA. If you didn't stand right in front of it you froze... and you had to keep turning to keep warm. Kinda like a pig on a spit... Made getting your skivies on in the morning very interesting.... :rotf:

Made getting your skivies on in the morning very interesting.... :rotf:

Much to much information! Now how do I get that out of my minds eye with out scratching my eye out???? LOL

I use a natural gas heater made by Modine called Hot Dawg. Set the thermostat and forget it if I want. Most times I'll turn it on in the morning, eat breakfast, and go to work in comfort.

I used to use a wood stove for years and while it warmed up the garage good it was a royal pain dealing with wood , ashes, and waiting to heat up the garage. One big plus was it's a cheap heat thou labor intensive.

Now that I have the gas heater I'll never look back.

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis

LOL...hmmm...well BTU is BTU...And they dont warm the air convectively, in the classic sense, but air molecules passing in front of the heater DO get warmed up! Dont beleive me? Hold your hand 1 foot above ( not in front of) the heater!

If you are working in your garage, and you set that thing next to your workbench or bike for half an hour or so, it will make it nice and toasty. I'm not sayin it will heat up a big 6 car garage to 72 degrees when its 20 below outside.

But for a small area, when I just wanna take the chill off for a few hours, it works out nicely for me.

Edited by tx2sturgis