IGNORED

VMax carbs vs Venture carbs

a1bummer

The '99 RSV also has 32mm carbs. The later ones are all the same.

As a1bummer has a 1st gen, the VMX carbs will pop right in place. The internal bore is a mm bigger, but the outside diameter where they fit the intakes is the same. The body is slightly thinner. Other than that, they're virtually identical. I should add that the choke linkage is a little different, but all the brackets will swap over. There are probably some small differences in jet sizes and tuning, but all that can be changed.

I could wish I knew the CFM air flow ratings of all these carbs. The 32mm carbs obviously have a smaller bore, but the air horn is actually larger. I wonder if they don't flow pretty much the same.

Edited by pegscraper
a bit more info

I wasn't planning on it. I ran into a guy at Farm & Fleet a couple weeks ago who spotted my VR and waited for me to come into the store to chat with me. He asked about the second gear issue, and asked if I wanted a job to do over the winter. I don't remember how we got on the subject, but he mentioned that when he got his bike it had VMax carbs on it. I said I thought they were the same. But all because I "thought" so, doesn't make it so. So it peaked my interest a bit. If I run into some VMax carbs cheap, I suppose I'll have to try it now. I'd be more interested in putting EFI onto it. I've seen the complete kits, but they're way to spendy for my taste.