IGNORED

symptoms of a stator going bad?

First thing to do is find the Large White Plug, from the Alternator going to the Rectifyer/Regulator Unit. 3 white, #14 wires going thru it.

Open it, and check for damage, burned pins, corroded Pins Etc. etc.

Then take AC voltage reading from each wire going thru the plug, to ground.

With the plug connected, you should see about 6 to 12 volts, AC on each of the 3 phases from the Alternator.

IF, one is substantially lower then the other 2, the stator is on its way out.

Also, useing your Digital Volt/Ohm meter, measure Voltage at Battery, at 2000 RPM, you should see at least 13.5 volts DC.

The Meter on the Panel, is not accurate enough for these tests.

Pull the left side cover, just along the curve of the frame is a big white plug with 3 big white wires, take the straps loose and pull it out. Best thing to do is cut off the plugs and solder the wires together.

Dan

remember that this is not an accurate guage on these bikes, treat them as an indicator.

my 86 shows on the voltmeter, 14 or so on the guage while driving.

when you are standing still i get a reading of 12 with the engine idling.

when you are standing still and i apply the brakes which also activates the anti dive relays on both forks, my voltmeter reads 10.

if you have a digital multimeter, check using it to see how it compares to the indicator on the dash of your bike.

cheers, Scott

I had 86 idling about 1,000 and would get close to 14 volts on the meter at the battery, pull the brake lever and it would be 12 volts.

On a members 99 the stator was bad, actually burnt inside. It would boil dry the battery, but he also changed rectifier so maybe this is why it boiled dry

BRad

remember that this is not an accurate guage on these bikes, treat them as an indicator.

when you are standing still and i apply the brakes which also activates the anti dive relays on both forks, my voltmeter reads 10.

FWIW, my volt gage checked against a digital was pretty acurate. My bike acts close to what you are describing. The brakes, besides lighting the brake lamps (2), also activate some stuff for the EANDS which seems to draw some significant amount of current.

Jeremy

if you have a digital multimeter, check using it to see how it compares to the indicator on the dash of your bike.

cheers, Scott

There was a difference between my guage and my multimeter..The MM read 12.5 at idle and 14.25 at 2000 RPM...the guage only read 13 to 13.50 at 2K..I cleaned all the plugs around the battery and behind the Lt side cover, now the guage seems more in tune with the MM....I'll be keeping an eye on the guage to see if anything changes..

Thanks everyone for your help..I never dealt with this problem before and had no idea where to begin or what to do but now I have a better feel for the situation....

Guest Ken8143
Pull the left side cover, just along the curve of the frame is a big white plug with 3 big white wires, take the straps loose and pull it out. Best thing to do is cut off the plugs and solder the wires together.

Dan

What he said

I took the bike out for a little jaunt today, about 150 mi..The guage is clearly showing more charge than last week...Probably one of the many plugs I cleaned contained the gremlin that made my guage show a low charge rate..

Thanks everyone for your help