IGNORED

06 RSV left me stranded

Guest Dandy1

Guest Dandy1

I left for work yesterday morning like usual before daylight and just pulled out on the highway when the bike sputtered and died. I started it up again and it run for just about 5 seconds and each time it would run even less till it would not run at all. I pushed it about 500' back to the shop, by the way it is not an easy bike to push and loaded it up on the trailer and took it to Broken Arrow, Ok to the dealer where I purchased it. They told me it would be 14 working days before they could even look at it. I called another dealer and told him the same story how it just sputtered and quit and he said it sounded like the fuel pump and that he has seen a rash of bad fuel pumps this year. Has anyone else had this problem? This is the first time in 36 years of riding that I have had a bike quit me other than a flat tire. Just glad I hadn't gone to far from the house. Ride safe!

Guest Dandy1

Thats the same thing the man at the dealer asked me. I don't remember hearing it but I was not listening for it either. I will try it in the morning when I go get the bike to take it to the other dealer to work on. Thanks for the help.

It does sound like a fuel problem. It could be something as simple as a stopped up fuel filter although one wouldn't think so on a bike that new unless you got into some bad gas or you have mega miles on an 06. Good luck on a quick turn around on getting it going again.

This may be irrelevant to your frustration, but as the owner of a couple of Lexuses I am used to good waranty handling.

Do you not have a 5 year waranty? Did Yamaha not send you a waranty card with a 24/7 800 number which will get your bike to a dealer for resolution of waranty problems?

Have you tried using it?

Please don't missunderstand... I realy want to know if we are just being too lenient in our demands on a company which offers a supposedly excelent waranty as a selling point.

So either we have a real waranty or we have fraud, correct?

Either way, I surely would like to know if there is someone to count on with this waranty or not. In the time I have owned my cars (with a simmilar waranty) I haven't as much as changed a flat - no matter where it happens. It only takes one phone call to get it done.

Hey Dandy1,

I just got my 05 RSV back from the dealer saturday. The fuel pump went bad. I went on a 1,100 mile trip with no problem. Parked bike for 2 days and when I started to work I got one block and it died. Kept trying and it finally started and ran fine. I went on a 550 mile trip the next weekend with no problem. Parked at home and 2 days later started bike and it wouldn't start unless full choked. When it started if you gave it any throttle it would die. Finally wouldn't start at all. I trailered it to the dealer. Don't try loading a venture on a trailer without power. The dealer checked the spark and electrical and all ok. The mechanic tapped on the fuel pump and it started. Dealer replaced fuel pump under warranty. Before taking to the dealer I sprayed the ignition with wd 40 and took the fuel hose off the petcock. Gas poured out. I would try tapping on the fuel pump and see if it will start. Like someone said if you don't hear the fuel pump ticking a few seconds when you turn on the ignition that is a sure sign it is the fuel pump. Good luck.

Guest ezornes

I dont recall getting a number to call when i bought my used 89 VR

I think it was made before 800 numbers were invented.......

Good Luck . :thumbsup:

Bit of a habit of mine -

Before I shut down after a ride I turn my radio OFF.

Then when I start up for my next ride, the first thing I do is turn the key and LISTEN for the ticka-ticka-ticka of the fuel pump.

YES!

Game on! Radio on. Starter button on. Engine on. I'm gone!

When you first turn the ignition on, before you start the bike, did you hear the fuel pump run and build up fuel pressure?

Is this supposed to happen every time you turn on the ignition? I hear it usually after the bike has been sitting awhile. It doesn't seem to happen consistently--but I've never had any problem starting it.

--Rip

If it's been a short while since you rode last, the pressure should still be high enough to keep the fuel pump from running. But If it has been sitting a while, you can expect the pump to come on and build the pressure back up.

If you decide it is the fuel pump, it's a pretty easy switch out. Obviously if it's under warranty, you'll want them to do it. But if you need to wait a couple of weeks, maybe you can get them to give you the part and just do it yourself. According to the manual I have, the test to check it, requires removal from the bike. I'm sure it can be done in place, I'm guessing the removal for the test is more of a safety issue. While you've got it apart, might as well change the filter, cause it's right there behind it.

Guest Dandy1

I picked up the bike from the dealer where I bought and took it to K&N Yamaha in Sapulpa, Ok. They were very nice and the machinic/service rider had it checked out beofre I got it off the trailer. He said it was the fuel pump. You guys were right, you can not hear it pressure up. They went ahead and got one on order and will be in by Thursday, he said he will try to get the bike out Friday. I hope so, I miss it! He said he changed 2 fuel pumps last week. Thanks for all the help!