What's the best recommended trailer hitch for a 2006 Venture?

In real world situations, how much can you safely pull with these bikes, how much tongue weight etc? I've always found the books will tell you one thing but real world experience say something else. I'm always one to err on the side of caution and safety but need to know the max values for those 'just in case' situations.

Cheers

I have had a venturedad hitch on my last 2 RSV's it's a reese style and works very well. I have safely towed with one on for better than 15000 miles. It's reasonably priced and well made, he is also a member here. Type in venturedad in the search bar and you'll be able to bring up info on him.

I have had a venturedad hitch on my last 2 RSV's it's a reese style and works very well. I have safely towed with one on for better than 15000 miles. It's reasonably priced and well made, he is also a member here. Type in venturedad in the search bar and you'll be able to bring up info on him.

Thanks M8.. Much appreciated! I do a lot of photography and would dearly love to ride the bike to some of the distant photo sessions instead of caging it.. lighting gear towed behind me would make this possible =)

Cheers!

I just bought one from venturedad. A great product and a pleasure to do business with!!

Kenw icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

Nice, many thanks... Where do you get the wiring harness from?

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is the 'stinger' they refer to, is that the bar that fits into the hitch on which the ball is attached to? If I'm starting from new, I'm guessing the full package deal is what I'll need (plus wiring harness?)

Cheers!

I have also been considering a trailer hitch.....has anyone installed the one from Diamond R ?

Keith

I bought the one from Diamond R.Cant tell by looking that I have a hitch also about 15-30 minute job. I like it also

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm is the spot where I bought my harnesses from. I don't remember the part numbers but you will need the isolator kit and the generic harness. The stinger is the part that the ball is mounted on so order the complete kit. I bought an aluma mct trailer and am picking it up tommorrow morning so I haven't wired the bike yet, but it looks pretty straightforward. There is a lot of usefull info on the tech area .

Kenw

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm is the spot where I bought my harnesses from. I don't remember the part numbers but you will need the isolator kit and the generic harness. The stinger is the part that the ball is mounted on so order the complete kit. I bought an aluma mct trailer and am picking it up tommorrow morning so I haven't wired the bike yet, but it looks pretty straightforward. There is a lot of usefull info on the tech area .

Kenw

Many thanks!! Now I gotta get my 4 way flashers working on the bike as well.. (just found them not to be working last night.. ergh!!)

Cheers

If you want to blow $75.00+ buy the fancy shmancy isolator... But if you want to get something that works (over 10K on my bike plus lighting up my skull eyes) Go to Autozone and get a "universal 5 to 4 wire Hoppy converter" for $9 - $15

If you want to blow $75.00+ buy the fancy shmancy isolator... But if you want to get something that works (over 10K on my bike plus lighting up my skull eyes) Go to Autozone and get a "universal 5 to 4 wire Hoppy converter" for $9 - $15

Thanks M8, simple and cheap works for me.. =)

What parts of Maine you in? I go through there a lot, usually on my way to Rolling Thunder.. Next month in the car only because of the camera gear and two models traveling with me.. A good excuse for caging it say wot?

I'm 7 miles from Belfast... The Mid-Coast area... 30 miles south of Bangor... 45 miles East of Augusta... If you take the Cat to Bar Harbor I'm 1 1/2 hours West of there... Gimme a shout when you're coming through the neighborhood or if you need a place to crash... If your not comfortable with that my daughter works at the Comfort Inn and suposedly gets a healthy family discount... You might have to be the long lost Novie Uncle Seaking, but it beats $100+ a night and it's the best Motel in the area... my numbers in the Assistant list and I think my profile or you can P.M. me... I never see any members here... there's like 8 guys listed in Maine and none are really active except me... I've met a few guys in FL and TX... with the ambasidor (LA Pryor) being the only I met in both states... that Whippersnapper gets around... It's like I gotta go 1500 - 2000 miles to meet VRs... Hope we can hook up

Guest tx2sturgis
Next month in the car only because of the camera gear and two models traveling with me.. A good excuse for caging it say wot?

First...If those models are of the female gender....WHOOHOOO!

Next...you know the Venture has three row seating, dont you? :D

What's the best recommended trailer hitch for a 2006 Venture?

In real world situations, how much can you safely pull with these bikes, how much tongue weight etc? I've always found the books will tell you one thing but real world experience say something else. I'm always one to err on the side of caution and safety but need to know the max values for those 'just in case' situations.

Cheers

I have a Diamond R hitch and pull an Aspen Classic - loaded about 525 pounds, tongue weight around 50 pounds. 10000 km+ over two seasons, trouble-free.....

I'm 7 miles from Belfast... The Mid-Coast area... 30 miles south of Bangor... 45 miles East of Augusta... If you take the Cat to Bar Harbor I'm 1 1/2 hours West of there... Gimme a shout when you're coming through the neighborhood or if you need a place to crash... If your not comfortable with that my daughter works at the Comfort Inn and suposedly gets a healthy family discount... You might have to be the long lost Novie Uncle Seaking, but it beats $100+ a night and it's the best Motel in the area... my numbers in the Assistant list and I think my profile or you can P.M. me... I never see any members here... there's like 8 guys listed in Maine and none are really active except me... I've met a few guys in FL and TX... with the ambasidor (LA Pryor) being the only I met in both states... that Whippersnapper gets around... It's like I gotta go 1500 - 2000 miles to meet VRs... Hope we can hook up

Tres cool! I think know where you are =) I'll jot down your info as I might well be laying over in Maine on my way down to NYC on the 11th of Sept.. I usually do well with my military and or CAA/AAA discounts but my 'neice' might be able to do me one better since this is going to be long road trip, it might be worth the while.. And to say Hello to a fellow Venturer hehehe..

I'm sorta pooched for big bike trips this year due to the surgery in June and this big trip in Sept but next year I am going to Rolling Thunder and Laconia so I'll definetly be passing through a few times..

Thanks M8! Downhome hospitality!

First...If those models are of the female gender....WHOOHOOO!

Next...you know the Venture has three row seating, dont you? :D

But of course they are of the female persuasion.. ; )

I've had both on the bike for photoshoots but not both at the same time.. HHHhmmmm Side car mods.. HHHmmmmmm