IGNORED

No Spark on plug wires

I tried to e-mail Frogman about this but I don't think it went so I'll try this route. Wed. morning my 93 VR didn't won't to start. I put about 3/4 choke turn on ign. and hit the start like always. In only a few seconds I smelled fuel like it was flooded. I shut off the chock held throttle wide open and hit start after about 15-20 sec. it fired ,I applied choke and it idled just fine. rode it the 23 mi. to work. That afternoon it fired right up and I rode her home. Thurs. Morn. no start. tried same tech. but no go. Got home started testing and found I have no spark to any plug wire. Came to the great VR web site and found Frogmans post about the TCI.(oh yea I tested the coil plugs and found I had no voltage going to the coils). Here's my problem. My 6 pin connector to the TCI has different color wires than the post describes. I have black/red, Black, orange, black/yellow,blue/red, and black/white. I have good ground to chassis. The black/white checks like frogman describes. The blue/red has 98.2 ohms to battery ground wire. The rest have no connection to battery grd. My 8 pin connector has 6 wires to it.It has 3.7 ohms to battery pos. with switch on, on the orange, gray, yellow, and white wires( about what frogman says). I have a red/blue and a black with .9 ohms to battery pos. with switch on. This .9 is probably 0 just not making good enough contact. So I think my problem lies in the black wire on the 6 pin, it reads out of limits to battery ground. I trace it along with the orange in the 6 pin all the way through a 2pin connector to the stator housing in left side crank case cover. I removed the cover and I can ohm out the wires all the way from TCI plug to where they go into the pick up coil. I cannot get any reading on either wire to the pick up coil bracket or the exposed metal sensor on the face of the pick up. ( I would think you would get some kind of reading from the wires to something there) I've cleaned several connectors but all looked good. I have yet to find the 5 pin connector under or below the front of the seat. From what I gather from all this my pick up coil is bad. It's $307!!! but hey if I need it I need it.( ridiculous price for that) I just need to see what you all have to say. This is almost over my head but I can generally figure things out. If it's not the pick up then I'm at a loss. Any ideas or experience you all have is greatly appreciated. Dan (shadow) Joyner.:bang head::bang head::bowdown::bowdown:

's

I've checked and didn't find any on ebay. Anybody got one laying around? If you do try to ohm between the two wires and see if you are getting a reading. This is the pick up coil that is in the crank case. Mine has two wires going to it. A black and an orange,that come from the TCI 6 pin plug.

I've checked and didn't find any on ebay. Anybody got one laying around? If you do try to ohm between the two wires and see if you are getting a reading. This is the pick up coil that is in the crank case. Mine has two wires going to it. A black and an orange,that come from the TCI 6 pin plug.

Couple photo's of the 5 wire Plug to pick up coils.

With the 93, you won't have the 4 pickups of the earlier units, just the pickup you saw. It SHOULD be isolated from the chassis and picks up it's ground from the CDI.

I believe the BIG problem is that you say you don't see any voltage to the coils. You should be able to discommect the CDI entirely, turn the key on and GET 12 volts to the coils... if not, you need to find out why.

The CDI (and TCI earlier units) provide a GROUND to the coils "low" side to get the spark. With no volts on the COMMON "hot" side of the coils, all other tests are off track.

Thanks for all the info guys. I now know for a fact ( from the pictures) that my bike does not have the 5 pin plug at the front of the seat. I have ordered a pickup coil . Hopefully it will be here by Fri.. I think this is my problem because I get no ohm reading on it. That is between the two wires going to it or either wire and the bracket or the pick up sensor. I haven't found anything in my service manual or on line to tell me if it should or not. But from what Frogman's info said when I follow it out it looks like it should. Since I do not I have the five plug and the wires in my 6 pin plug to the TCI are not the colors in the manual, I'm not 100% certain. I bought this Bike from the owner of a local Yamaha dealership. It was his personal bike and had been since new. Only had 20k when I got it. So I don't think it's been altered. I'll let you know if that does it.:bang head:

The earlier bikes had a TCI unit. I think it was 1990 when they transitioned to a CDI unit and with this the four ignition pick-ups (5 wire plug) became a single pickup. And it looks like it shown as just a coil, no fancy stuff, so it SHOULD have a fairly low resistance reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say Thanks again for everyone's input. Finally got the pick-up coil Sat. morn.. Installed it, torqued the cover, put in the oil and zooooom she fired right up!!! When I first got home I checked it and it reads 110 ohms between the orange and black wires. So if you have a '93 with a single pick-up coil and you get no fire to the plugs. Check the plug with the orange and black wires. It's located on the left under the side cover right in front of the seat. :cool10::thumbsup2::clap2: