IGNORED

Cam Chain Adjustment

After turning over 100K miles on my 99 RSV, I'm begining to hear some extra noise comming from the top end. sounds like I need to adjust my cam chain.

I have done this several times on older bikes, but I never have on this one.

Is there anything special i need to know or watch out for?

Thanks in advance!!

My 2006 has allot of top end noise and my dealer is going to remove the Cam chain tensioners and inspect them to make sure they are locking up and not broken. The tensioner will move out to move the tensioner bar but it it to lock once it moves far enough and will keep moving and locking until you have to replace the chain. What could have happend just like my bike is the tensioner will not lock anymore and the tensioner bar can move in and out but still just have spring tension on it. This will make a noisy top end. My dealer said it is not common but has happened in the past on other bikes.

Once I get mine back I willlet you all know hwat was found.

:fingers-crossed-emo

• 3 months later...

I also have a 99 RSV that turned 100K. I had not just a noise, but an obvious top end noise. My mechanic replaced the rear tensioner and chain (valve cover gasket, of course). That took care of it. The mechanic said that the tensioner design allows too much wiggle in the tensioner itself causing it to lock up and not function properly. He said that Yamaha finally corrected this on the 2003 models and beyond. He said I would need to have the front done soon, which I now need to have done about 5K miles after the rear.