IGNORED

blown clutch or tranny ended trip

Help.

Never have had a problem like this on old 83. Just took it 5000 miles west to Glacier, Waterton, Yellowstone, the tetons and the bighorns...300 miles from home the clutch seemed to lose pressure.. the only way to get it to shift was to pump the clutch up.. no fluid was seemingly lost.....Stopped and bled the clutch , but to no avail... the pressure stayed up , but it got to the point where it would no longer shift. Fortunately it stopped working just a few miles from my moms' house on my last day....

However... it will no longer shift into any gear while running.. I can get it into nuetral while it is not running, but the second I try to put it in any gear, it slams to a stop and kills the motor or makes an ungodly sound like someone throwing a bad of wrenches..

Hopefully the tranny did not go.. I love my original 83 (40,000 miles )and would hate to see it die.

Never dealt with any clutch issues before so have no idea..

Any thoughts, clues or things to look at????? Hard to repair???? I have to take my trailer and ride back 300 miles to pick up the bike next week...Want to do more serious riding this summer so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated...

Met another Venture rider ( Dave 007) at a gas station in Chamberlain,SD on my way back.

5000 miles 0f a great trip. the Road to the Sun and The Beartooth were great rides....Hopefully old 83 is up for more...

Put it on the center stand and try it, that way the rear wheel can spin, if indeed it is the clutch froze up. Had this happen to me on my old H2-750 years ago, except it completely stopped the motor from even running.

Next you will probably have to pull off the clutch cover, remove the clutch pack and see how everything turns. You may find something in the clutch basket when you pull the cover.

Good luck and ask questions!!

Dan

Edit- while you were heading to Moms, could you still shift without using the clutch? Any abnormal vibrations? This would narrow it down a little.

Sounds like your clutch slave is whipped or the handlebar master. Rebuild or e-bay another one and I bet you will be good to go. Hard to repair? That is up to you and how mechanical your feeling. Go to the Yamaha website and take a look at the location, then decide. You say you did not lose any fluid. I would guess{mind you guess} that the master is leaking by therefore it never pushes the slave to disengage the clutch. A-

la,grind,stall, ouch.:2cents:

Rebuild kit for the Master on handlebar.

The Slave cylinder, best to buy a New One. Cylinder is probably corroded to much to use a rebuild kit. Slave rebuild kits about $15, and the new one is only about $30, not worth the trouble of rebuilding.

Also, check your rubber hose's, they are OLD, you might want to replace them also.

Discuss the Master rebuild with " Condor " and others will help. Its a tricky job, and easy to get some parts in backwards, on the master that is.

If you open the clutch cover, best to Also replace the Springs, they don't cost much.

While on the way to Ketchner my clutch master went hairy ride two hours in the dark but made it there was the master, guys helped me there to get kit ordered back on the road in three days had to wait for the kit,so it my be the master. I would like to thank everyone that i meet at the rally and also all the hepl i recieved, again Thanks Guys and girls. 73 Yooper

Glad I read this as I have the same problems. I put it in 1st and it dies. Since I had to rebuild the brakes, why would the cluch be OK..haha. I am able to bleed the system and plenty of fluid come out but I had not thought about the fluid just going on by the plunger. I see the vote is the master need rebuilt/replaced first. So I guess that's next. Is it any harder to rebuild than the rear brake master?

As soon as I run back to iowa to get the bike I will check the master cyclinder on the handlebars and I imagine I'll pull the clutch cover. i'll start looking thru my mannual and get back with any ( I'm sure lots) of questions......

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Clay

I'll go with the master or slave cylinder needing rebuilt, we helped Yooper in Kitchener and thats what his was. Not a real expensive fix, just a bit tedious and time consuming.

The line was full of air too, don't think Fred swallowed any fluid, from the plastic line we connected to the bleed nipple.