IGNORED

what weight oil now

heatonmt

OK Yamaha has stop making 20w-40 oil now. I alway thought that was strange weight for a oil but that is what they said to use. I can not get a straight answer from one dealer to the next on what Yamaha says to us now. Is anyone using 20w 50 out there and for how long or is 10W40 the way to go what to do, what to do?:think: sorry 2nd gen

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

I also run a 15w40 diesel oil in my 1st gen. Works out really well.

For what it's worth, I put 20w50 in my XJ. I'm not happy with how the clutch works with it. It doesn't disengage completely until very hot. If I take out extra free play then it slips when very hot.

If you really want to pamper your baby get Shell Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic diesel for it. You can purchase it at wally world for about $18/gallon.

You will never get a consensus on which brand, synthetic or dino, what weight, etc. Everybody has their own opinion. I am exactly the opposite of FLB, I don't think that motorcycle specific oil is a rip off at all. I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10/40 full synthetic and it is certainly not the "worse quality of oil available" :) Have been using it since 1999 in my '99 RSV and will do so as long as I own it and will likely use it in my next bike also.

You will never get a consensus on which brand, synthetic or dino, what weight, etc. Everybody has their own opinion. I am exactly the opposite of FLB, I don't think that motorcycle specific oil is a rip off at all. I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10/40 full synthetic and it is certainly not the "worse quality of oil available" :) Have been using it since 1999 in my '99 RSV and will do so as long as I own it and will likely use it in my next bike also.

You could buy the Mobil 1 10w40 automotive oil and get the exact same thing in a different, cheaper bottle.

Amsoil does the same thing. They put a motorcycle label on it and charge 2 more dollars per qt.

I should also say the by "motorcycle" specific, I meant Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Bel-Ray brands of oil.

I agree that it is absolutely not the same. I've seen more than one independent analysis of these oils. The 10/40 Mobile on for Autos is also "energy conserving" which means that it has friction modifiers and I would not use it in a bike with a wet clutch.

Last change I tried the new Yama 20-50. Don't like it, the bike seems to be noisier plus it's constantly smelling like burning oil even though there are no spills or leaks , I guess it's just a smell specific to this oil. Certainly doesn't add anything to the ride. I may have to change again early...Probably will go with the Mobil 1 . It seems a bit expensive, but if it works I don't care. And I do like their filters.

As freebird said, everyone has their own idea about oil...A chemical engineer stated to us at a seminar that oil starts to break down at 2k...so, if one changes their oil at 2k you cannot get better protection than that..admittedly that was about 20 years ago and oil technology has improved but I have used that advice ever since and have put over 300k since then on my bikes with no problems....As the saying goes...different strokes for different folks (Dandy Don MNF)

I also run a 15w40 diesel oil in my 1st gen. Works out really well.

For what it's worth, I put 20w50 in my XJ. I'm not happy with how the clutch works with it. It doesn't disengage completely until very hot. If I take out extra free play then it slips when very hot.

If you really want to pamper your baby get Shell Rotella T 5w40 Synthetic diesel for it. You can purchase it at wally world for about $18/gallon.

I started my 93 on Rotella T 5w40 synthetic around 95,000 miles, it now has 106,000, works very good for me,better mileage,shifts better,and no problem with the clutch.

Go to Autozone get Valvoline 10w40 4 stroke motorcycle or ATV oil $3.99 a qt. It has specific wet clutch protection. I also use the Bosch 3300 or 3323 filter. The 3323 is just a little longer for more filtration. Been using in Angel since 02 after I had to have new clutch after using synthetic oil in her cause it made the clutch slip.

Lots of folks use synthetics with no problem but I won't because of my experience with it.

Good luck

Craig

I've been using Castrol GTX 20/50 in both my bikes for about 15 years....I change oil every 2k miles...

I wait until its on sale for 99 cents a quart then I buy a couple of cases

I had been using castrol 20/50 in all my bikes with no problems and recently switched to castrol semi syn 20/50 in my 88 (looking for another couple miles per gallon) always change between 2k and 3k miles and the engine seems a bit noiseier any one else run into this? I really think I may switch back....

Last change I tried the new Yama 20-50. Don't like it, the bike seems to be noisier plus it's constantly smelling like burning oil even though there are no spills or leaks , I guess it's just a smell specific to this oil. Certainly doesn't add anything to the ride. I may have to change again early...Probably will go with the Mobil 1 . It seems a bit expensive, but if it works I don't care. And I do like their filters.

I had my dealer change my oil on June 11th. They used the new Yama 20-50. bike runs great, but now I have the "chirp" everyone has mentioned. I did not show up until about 1000 miles on the new oil, but is there. I have 4000 miles on this oil now and will be changing it this next week into either amsoil or mobile synth. (I don't notice the chirp much as I wear a full helmet most of the time).

Geezrr

I have been using Valvoline 10w40 motorcycle oil in the 2007 Venture. Yamaha 20w40 in my 2005 Road Star. So now its Valvoline in both. Freebird is correct in my humble opinion, motorcycle oil does contain better additives than car oil thanks to our always helping federal government. My 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 needs 10w50 so I use Yamaha Semi Synthetic in that.

Just got home from Wal-Mart, bought 5 qt. jug of 15-50 Mobil 1 for 23.00. I have used this stuff on both of my bikes from first oil changes . It is not the over priced bike oil that Mobil sells. One local bike parts store sells Mobil 1 V-Twin oil for 13.99 a quart. That's a ripoff! Never had a problem with this stuff, ever. My 07 Venture chirps like a box of crickets, it was that way from day one. Oil is like religion, whatever brand you believe in the true way to heaven. I hope I get there but with a few more bucks in my pocket, which by the way I'll spend on more accessories. Hope nobody takes offense.;)

I agree that it is absolutely not the same. I've seen more than one independent analysis of these oils. The 10/40 Mobile on for Autos is also "energy conserving" which means that it has friction modifiers and I would not use it in a bike with a wet clutch.

+1

Mobile 1 Racing 4T 10/40 is specifically designed for use with "wet clutches". It's ranked right up there with Amsoil as the best synthetic.

I also use R4 Mobil 1 10W-40 and change it between 5000 and 6000 miles, some of the Walmart stores carry it. I didn't find it with the other oils but where they had the helments and other bike acessories. It is pricey but I feel that it is a good investment.............

Keep the Sunny Side Up and the Rubber Side Down......:mo money:

Guest Dandy1

I also believe that the Motorcycle specific oil is the way to go.

Amsoil motorcycle oil is not the same as their other oil so they can mark it up $2. It is blended Motorcycle specific for a reason. Its without friction modifiers to be compatible with the wet clutch. I have run it for years changing oil & filter at every 6000 miles. Your right there is no winning this debate.