OK, I know this is a stupid question, but is there any trick to refilling the radiator on a 2005 Tour Deluxe? Not being mechanically inclined (and perhaps none too bright), I pulled the water pump cover to replace it with a chrome one without "Yamaha" stamped on it. Of course (being the water pump cover) coolant drained out onto the ground. I am sure I lost all of it.

First, is there anything special about the Royal Star coolant? Will just Prestone from WalMart (pre-mixed at 50/50) do? Secondly, is there a tech article on this site detailing how to refill my coolant system? I REALLY would appreciate any help anyone could give. Thanks in advance.

OK, I know this is a stupid question, but is there any trick to refilling the radiator on a 2005 Tour Deluxe? Not being mechanically inclined (and perhaps none too bright), I pulled the water pump cover to replace it with a chrome one without "Yamaha" stamped on it. Of course (being the water pump cover) coolant drained out onto the ground. I am sure I lost all of it.

First, is there anything special about the Royal Star coolant? Will just Prestone from WalMart (pre-mixed at 50/50) do? Secondly, is there a tech article on this site detailing how to refill my coolant system? I REALLY would appreciate any help anyone could give. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure, but I think the TD is the same as the Venture. If you lose a little coolant, you just take the seat off to keep checking how much coolant is in your reservoir and keep it between the miminum and maximum lines. If you lose alot of coolant, you have to take the gas tank off in order to get to the top of the radiator in order to take the cap off and refill your radiator. As long as your engine is cool, you can fill it through the radiator cap, but other than that, you just take the seat off and check the coolant level in your reservoir and fill it up accordinally.:thumbsup2: Prestone 50/50 is great anti-freeze and is all I've ever used, but it's personal preference I guess. Edited by Rich99

Well, I understand that it can be filled through the tank under the right side cover. However, from reading the posts elsewhere, it seems there is some valve under the radiator that has to be switched to fill and then back to normal. I cannot seem to find this valve???

Jim,

What you saw with the valve is only for the 1st gen Ventures. To get to the radiator cap, you have to take the fuel tank off....it's under there. Just fill it with a 50/50 mix and after you run it for a while, let her cool down and then fill the overflow bottle to the mark.

Rick

The Radiator cap is under the tank right hand side,however I think on the tour deluxe you can access the overflow bottle under the riders seat. Tom

PLEASE USE MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC AF. Not auto Prestone or any other auto AF.:no-no-no: As stated by Pilot ---sillicate is BAD for MOTORCYCLE water pumps.:sick: . NOT SURE WHY BUT THATS THE WAY IT IS--You can buy it ---50/50 mixture-- at amy motorcycle shop.:cool10::080402gudl_prv: ----Buzzard

Thanks for all the info. I managed to get it flushed/refilled today without any mishaps. Pretty good. Got the K&Ns, Bub sleepers, and a water pump cover all done. 16000 mile service this week. Then, off to Colorado for a few days before I have to return to school (high school teacher). Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Most quality antifreeze is low silicate nowadays. I would be more concerned that it's compatible with aluminum which almost all antifreeze is now.

If you lose more then a cup of coolant, then you HAVE to fill it under the tank. Filling the reservoir will do no good on these bikes if the radiator is low.