IGNORED

installing Sony cdx-m30

Well Ive been fighting with myself the last while as I am not totally liking the OEM cassette am/fm radio in my 85 1st gen . I really do prefer to leave things stock as the manufacturer intended, but i just cant seem to get the sound out of the system that I like. Even after having the casette player/radio rebuilt I still have trouble with sound fading in and out on the right speaker (new Pioneer speakers installed also).

So tomorrow night with a friend we are going to install a Sony cdx-m30 cd radio unit and run new wiring for the audio in my ride. This unit will allow me to mount an ipod and a satellite unit in my trunk(with the Sony adapter cabling) and still be able to control the music at the head unit or with the wireless remote I will mount somewhere convenient.

I have the blank OEM filler panel where the OEM radio sits so we are going to cut an opening into that to mount the new unit.

I am going to try to save the original mounts and connectors if possible so if i want to drop the old unit back in it will be a snap to do.

I will try to remember my camera tomorrow night.

Brian:cool10::cool10:

Edited by friesman
spelling

Hi Brian.

Best of luck to you on this, please put some pictures on after you've finished and let us all know how it turns out, how it looks etc. One think that puzzles me is how are you going to waterproof the new unit?

Hi Brian.

Best of luck to you on this, please put some pictures on after you've finished and let us all know how it turns out, how it looks etc. One think that puzzles me is how are you going to waterproof the new unit?

Its a marine unit ordered from Sony, plus most of the time my ride is inside. ....But there has been a couple of wet rides...

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I'll give it to you anyway; I would return that piece of crap Sony and get something else. And here is how I get to this statement: About 2 months ago I purchased a Sony unit to install in our Mazda Miata from Crutchfield. I would, by the way, highly recommend Cruchfield they have been great throughout this saga... Anyway I installed the unit, tried everything out, set all my settings - happy as a pig in ****, turned off the ignition and congratulated myself for a job well done. Next day, turned on the ignition and was greeted with a blank screen with factory settings, all my settings were gone! Rechecked all the connections - same results, called Crutchfield, they sent out a new unit. A week later, received unit installed made settings, sent back old unit. Next day, same crap - all settings lost. Did thorough check of connectors and found that the geniouses who assembled the proprietary Sony connector missized two of the connectors! Tried to contact Sony, spoke with India, spoke with Manila - raised my blood pressure to bursting point and basically got the feeling that Sony just plain doesn't give a ****! Called Crutchfield, they sent another unit out. Same crap, you could see with naked eye that the connector was bad ! sent the unit back and again spoke with Manila for what seemed like an hour. Their solution was - send the harness and plug to Sony service center with original receipt and they would replace it. Since by now it was over amonth-Iwould have to pay for it!!!?? No mention of what I should do about the radio for the month or so that this procedure should take or the expense. Who cares, I am just another customer. Well this customer has a better solution I went around their connector and did sone soldering but I will never again purchase anything Sony. A company that has no customer support deserves no customers!:mad:

Beleive me I hear you az, but i looked all over town and even on a few websites and it seemed that the only thing available in a marine deck on short notice was this Sony. It looks good and has all the features I wanted and the price wasnt bad so I thought what the heck Ill buy it.

I had it in and running tonight (for about an hour, it was working, and sounding great, and then everything went black...... I really got more depressed after reading your email, az. But, it was dark out when I got home and didnt have any light to check out the fuses, so I cant really blame the deck yet,.....can I?

I will keep you posted.

Darn, and I wanted tunes for tomorrow, as there's about 20 of us making a run to Moose Jaw (yes really there is a place called Moose Jaw) for ice cream, so I am really hoping for a blown fuse on a bunch of levels. I love my tunes on the road...

Edited by friesman

Beleive me I hear you az, but i looked all over town and even on a few websites and it seemed that the only thing available in a marine deck on short notice was this Sony. It looks good and has all the features I wanted and the price wasnt bad so I thought what the heck Ill buy it.

I had it in and running tonight (for about an hour, it was working, and sounding great, and then everything went black...... I really got more depressed after reading your email, az. But, it was dark out when I got home and didnt have any light to check out the fuses, so I cant really blame the deck yet,.....can I?

I will keep you posted.

Darn, and I wanted tunes for tomorrow, as there's about 20 of us making a run to Moose Jaw (yes really there is a place called Moose Jaw) for ice cream, so I am really hoping for a blown fuse on a bunch of levels. I love my tunes on the road...

OK Can I scream now? The Sony DeckIve just installed just wont work, its dead. I guess I got to call Sony about trying to replace it as soon as I can. That is so frustrating!!! When you buy new stuff you expect it to be more reliable than your old stuff...I guess after reading AZ's and Condor's posts in here.... and now with my issues with a Sony deck I am going to recommend that people dont deal with Sony for audio stuff. It used to be a good name but it appears Sony is having quality control issues.

Brian, if I was you I'd take it stright back to the shop I bought it from and DEMAND my money back. If it's a known fault the shop will have to give you a FULL refund, it's better to be stuck with your old working cassette deck than a faulty CD deck.

Brian, if I was you I'd take it stright back to the shop I bought it from and DEMAND my money back. If it's a known fault the shop will have to give you a FULL refund, it's better to be stuck with your old working cassette deck than a faulty CD deck.

Yeah I wish I had bought it at a store, but no marine units were availble anywhere in the city (i guess it could have something to do with being about as far as you can be away from an ocean or a big body of water...) So I ordered it from Sonystyle.ca and I am not sure what their return policy is going to be.

Brian

Sorry Brian, nothing here towards you. I have not been a Sony fan for a few years. In the past they may have had quality but recently they have traded quality for quantity and fattening up the executive pocketbooks.

I have a 57" widescreen TV in the garage that ended up there before it was paid off. Sony was no help. Then, later there are service bulletins for the same issues I am having but guess what, I am past any help from them. I purchased a Sony combo VCR/DVD player and it would not play store bought DVD's. Took that back, bought the same thing from another store in another town, same problem.

I have their DVD-in-a-Box surround system. Max receiver volume is 70, it must be at about 55 to even hear it and I still have trouble making out words sometimes.

I have had numerous other product issues with Sony, will never purchase another one of thier products.

Makes a change - it used to be that Sony made nice stuff but with really awful software - like their minidisc recorders that don't let you upload your own music (that you've recorded of yourself, live) to your computer through the USB port you bought it for - or the spyware that tries to disable your music software.

Now their hardware is getting worse too - seems like their management is determined to go out of business - good riddance. There are plenty of others out there to take our money.

It appears Sony is going to make me send a brand new deck back to Whitby Ontario at my expense, NOT THEIRS! They say its to verify that theres actually something wrong, hmmm does not having any lights or do anything mean theres something wrong?

Plus I figure I will be without the unit at least a month to 6 weeks from what the person on the phone was saying. (its taken 36 hours so far just to get a call back to tell me i can even get an RMA to allow me to send it back. ...and still waiting.....)

What a way to try and get business and look after your customers.

I guess this will teach me to order online, but I thought Sony was a good enough well known name brand that their company online store should be able to look after any issues in a capable manner, but I guess I am wrong.

Brian:225::225::225::225:

Edited by friesman

After sending emails to a few people at Sony head office I got the ok to get a straight exchange or refund ( I havnt decided which yet) over the counter at my closest Sony Store, the trouble is the closest is over 2 1/2 hour drive from here. So, as I am going to be in Hailfax for the next few days I asked if i could exchange or get the refund at the Sony Store in one of the Halifax locations (only a 4 hour flight..lol) and they agreed. So when I get home next week I should be able to have tunes on my ride. woo hoo!

That sure goes to prove that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Anyway here are the pics of the operation on my 85 VR,

http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/Audioswap_08

I hope its ok to do the pics this way, i just thought it might take some of the load off the servers here.

I hate to tell you this guy.... that unit looks awfully familiar!!!!!!:whistling:Take a look at the connector on the back of the unit, does it have a 16 pin plug, all connectors of uniform size? Now look at the connector on the harness , Is it a black connector with all wires being uniform size except for two which are of a lower gage? If so, look head on into the connector. You will find that the geniouses in China installed the wrong size connectors. They are too big for the pins on the radio......:bang head:

Life is giving you one more chance at redemption.......Don't mess it up!!! Return that piece of crap!!!!

I hate to tell you this guy.... that unit looks awfully familiar!!!!!!:whistling:Take a look at the connector on the back of the unit, does it have a 16 pin plug, all connectors of uniform size? Now look at the connector on the harness , Is it a black connector with all wires being uniform size except for two which are of a lower gage? If so, look head on into the connector. You will find that the geniouses in China installed the wrong size connectors. They are too big for the pins on the radio......:bang head:

Sorry, I just gotta :rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl:

Sorry, I just gotta :rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl:

You guys are making the decision on whether I return the unit or not VERY EASY, LOL!!

ok, ok ok, message recieved.. do you have a better unit in mind that you would use yourself?

Do yourself a favor, go out on Crutchfield.con These people are absolutely great. They stand behind their stuff they will work with you till it works. On the site they have various comparison tools which will help you make a selection. If you are still confused call them on their 800 number and talk to an advisor - if they don't know, they will find out for you. I can't say enough good about them!!!

I still have the stock radio. Replaced it once already. Sony is just not a choice I would make considering the endless issues I have had with thier products.

I am gonna get a 2nd gen iPhone when it comes out next month and somehow work it into the system.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you are all in the loop.

I took the unit back to the Sony store in the MIcMac mall in Halifax as I was going to be there on vacation and there isnt a Sony store here as Sony has closed it.

The service in the Sony store was excellent and the staff were great when I want ed to return the unit that they didnt even carry in that Store. PLUS he did the whole transaction before the store opened as he saw me sitting outside with the box and walked out to see if he could help me out.(the poor guy hadnt even had coffee yet). So i got my money back and went to one of the retailers in Hailfax and bought a Kenwood excelon kdc-x592 as well as a marine cover to protect it.

I did the install a couple of days ago and its great. it has about a 6 inch cable for USB/ipod hookups and ipod control so i just leave the ipod under my top panel (attached with vecro to the side of the box) so its out of sight and I never have to fiddle with it and worry that someone will just walk by and "set it free". The Kenwood is a much nicer deck to use on the bike with gloves on as almost everything is controlled with 2 round knobs, not the small tiny buttons like the Sony unit had.

All in all everything worked out well, and I am now a happy camper with my sound system again except for the up top controls for volume.... I miss that more than i though I would. I have to explore the option that the kenwood has that allows certain cars to use the sterring wheel sound controls on this deck and see if it will work for me here.

Brian:mo money::mo money:

If your unit has provision for a plug-in remote control then you will have no problem. I did that on my Mazda Miata to get the steering wheel controls to work. the adaptor runs from 29 to 49 bucks depending on type.