IGNORED

I am ready to give up

I am ready to surrender and take the scoot to the dealer. I have checked air filter, new plugs, checked for exhaust leaks, adjusted idle mixture screws, can of seafoam with High octane gas, thought I had fixed the problem, rode to daytona, and its' back?? The bottom left pipe ( I have a 99 Blvd. 4 piper) is still popping at decel and idle. It absolutely drives me out of my mind. THIS IS ONLY ON 1 FRICKIN PIPE !!!!!!!!!!!, the bike has always run great until about 2 or so weeks ago. I really doubt that this is a carb sync issue, and the bike runs great when cruising. Any more last minute suggestions before I break out the wallet. Also, does any one know where I can download a repair manual for a 99 standard?

:confused07::confused07::confused07:

I'm not sure but on the 1100 i have there is an AIS its a air injection system to reduce emissions on decell and when it messes up or some carb or pipe changes it will start the popping and bike will still run fine just alot of popping

i know you have the system on yours it called something else but just unhook it and cap the injector ports on the motor that may take care of the problem it sounds like an air leak at one of the tubes for that cylinder

good luck

Dray

I was told that my bike does not have an AIS? I don't think that I have an exhaust leak, but could be wrong, I did tighten the one bolt I could get to , the other one has a heat shield in the way and I have never installed heat shields or head pipes and am a little leary about getting into this myself and messing up the heat shields or the pipe. All I did was install slip on's which was easy many months ago. Do you feel that I should let the dealer handle this? I am really starting to think as you do, that it is a gasket or exhaust leak somewhere,or a vacum issue. With a cold start, I felt for leaks around the head pipe and the connection for the slip on's.

The early Royal Stars do not have AIS.

Did you turn the mixture screws in to lightly seat them counting the turns in and back out, so that you know exactly where they are, or did you just arbitrarily turn them out another 1/4 turn or so from wherever they were? I would turn them in just until lightly seated and then back them out again, so that you know that they are all the same. I wouldn't count on Y setting them all the same to begin with. You may still have one that's turned in farther than the rest of them.

I once had a backfiring going on in only one cylinder and only when the engine was stone cold. I finally discovered that I had lost the O ring that goes in the side cover, probably once when I had them off adjusting shims under the needle. The vacuum leak was making this popping noise in the one muffler. Once the engine warmed up though, it went away, and I could never tell there was a vacuum leak by the way the engine ran. With four mufflers, it's real easy to tell which cylinder has the problem. If you've ever had the covers off, you might give them a check.

Edited by pegscraper

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, took it in yesterday to my dealer and I have a creacked lower carb boot, wont have the bike back for almost a week. BUMMER! $139 to fix and adjust carbs, not bad can't wait to get it back.