IGNORED

Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Models 2001 vs. 2007

dharnie

Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Models 2001 vs. 2007

(I have my 2007 RSV listed here in the classified - but maybe some people might find this little blurb of mine interesting?)

One year ago I never thought that I could afford to ever own Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Today I own and ride 2 of them! PTL! A short note here to let the reader know the differences that I have experienced riding each.

Handling

07 - Better in maneuvering from pushing it around in the garage or a parking lot to the open road. Both have 40 lbs air in both tires. 01 has Dunlop, 07 has Bridgestone tubeless tires. But there is more to it than handing, When I stop with the 07 at a light it stops straight as an arrow. The 01 is more difficult to balance for some unknown reason. In the turns/curves at highway speed, the 01 has to be pushed because it always wants to correct itself and stand upright. The 07 just loves them and allows a faster rate of speed with more confidence of the rider (me!).

Transmission/drive train

07 - is much less noisy - in fact a very pleasant sound emanates from the powerful V4. I decided to put loud fishtail pipes on the 01 to distract from its annoying whining. the 07 shifts crisper and easier. The 07 engine seems to rev a little higher before the governor kicks in.

Comfort

About the same except that the 07 has better ergonomics in the shift & brake levers which are wider and more comfortable than the narrower 01's.

Suspension

07 - feels better over the bumps, not much, but my wife & I noticed the difference when we rode the 07 again after riding the 01 for several monhs.

Braking

07 - no squeak/squeal of the front brake and seems like less effort and a smoother stop than the 01.

Keep in mind that there are only 500 more miles on the 01 than the 07!

Man, you must have at least STARTED this post on Friday the 13th, cause I can't think of any other possibility for someone saying a Venture with Brickstone tires handles better than any Venture with ANY other tire! :puzzled:

In fact, I can't grok any of the differences you mention between an 01 and an 07 RSV, except possibly a difference in engine noise (and that wouldn't be specific to the year, just an individual bike thing). For example, to my knowledge, the shift and brake levers are identical on all RSVs? If that is right, how could they have different ergonomics? :confused07:

I guess the tin foil on my head is not working - now gonna have to get some foam to smother the smoke coming out my ears form the internal melt-down you started!

Goose

Please ignore any high pitched buzzing you hear - it is just my brain going into a high-speed wobble!

Yup, there is a difference in your pictures alright, but I can't explain it. My 05 and my 07 had the same levers, and they looked like the ones on your 07. Frankly, when you said "shift and brake levers", I thought you were talking about the FOOT levers. Oh well, it's no big deal. I was mostly puzzled by your reference to an RSV with the horrible Brickstone tires handling well, but who's to say what feels bad to one person has to feel bad to all? Not me, even if it is puzzling! I'm sure you will find plenty of lightly used Brickstone takeoffs to put on that 01 if that is what you want. Ride safe

Goose

The HAND levers are different and feel better on the 07.

To be honest - I never had in my mind a debate about Bridgestone vs Dunlop when I posted. I was simply stating what the difference was between the 2 bikes and that they had these 2 different tire manufacturers which was only part of the "unbiased" facts!

I drove both today - and for the life of me I do not know why but the 07 feels less top heavy even sitting still right in the garage. Would the tires affect that? I think not. The fact that I can sweep right into the tight turns on the 07 where the 01 fights me is a mistery to me.

its funny you say that.

at first I thought height (Me personal) had something to do with the control of the bike. 6'4" & 250 Lbs, I find I throw the bike into the turns, all the chicken strips are gone from my bike.

The one big question I have.

Is it just me, or does the front tire (Bridgestone) get sloppy when it first rolls onto wet pavement.

But after its wet, the bike rides alittle better, but I have to really slow down, coming on to wet roadways, its even worse, when I'm pulling a trailer

P.S. fast question.

what should the Rear stock be at when riding two up & pulling at trailer.

I just replaced my rear tire last week, (I'm questioning myself here) did I have enough, pressure on the rear shock, (I Bottomed out) I may have caused the rear tire to fail

my 2000 also seems to '' PUSH'' going into turns and i have 3 week old dunlop e3's.even last night at a local race track where my riding club got to do 5 pace laps at 60 mph. but the 07 that was with us didn't have that problem.and the hd's seemed to be running full out even in the banking.

The HAND levers are different and feel better on the 07.

To be honest - I never had in my mind a debate about Bridgestone vs Dunlop when I posted. I was simply stating what the difference was between the 2 bikes and that they had these 2 different tire manufacturers which was only part of the "unbiased" facts!

I drove both today - and for the life of me I do not know why but the 07 feels less top heavy even sitting still right in the garage. Would the tires affect that? I think not. The fact that I can sweep right into the tight turns on the 07 where the 01 fights me is a mistery to me.

You implied in your For Sale posting that your 07 was purchased new, so I'll just assume that the suspension is all set up as stock and in proper condition. We cannot assume that for the older bike.

I would suggest you start by letting all the air out of the forks - not having them EXACTLY equal is a major impact on proper handling, and the fastest, most accurate test here is to run them at 0. Then I'd check the proper tightness of all suspension related bolts, especially the axle pinch bolts, axle nuts, fork pinch bolts, shock bolts, etc. Make sure nothing on the suspension has been modified, including the height, front and back. Make sure the tires have been properly seated on the rims. If you check the tire right next to the rim, you should see several concentric lines or small ridges that are designed to give you a visual confirmation that the tire has evenly seated all the way around. Improperly seated tires are not that uncomon. Checking tire pressure should be obvious, but I mention it to cover all bases. Lastly, from the way you describe the differences in the two bikes, I personally would strongly suspect the older bike has been in a significant accident and not properly repaired. Good luck in figuring out what is wrong.

Goose

big red - that's interesting that you also notice how you have to push your 2000 into the turns like my 2001. So the Dunlops changed the handling? How was it before with what brand tire?

If it is not the tires then it appears that Yamaha made some sort of change between 2001 and 2007 which makes my 07 begging me to scrape the floor boards - but I'm still too cautious (chicken?) but my 01 tells me to slow down and take er easy old man! :no-no-no:

big red - that's interesting that you also notice how you have to push your 2000 into the turns like my 2001. So the Dunlops changed the handling? How was it before with what brand tire?

If it is not the tires then it appears that Yamaha made some sort of change between 2001 and 2007 which makes my 07 begging me to scrape the floor boards - but I'm still too cautious (chicken?) but my 01 tells me to slow down and take er easy old man! :no-no-no:

i had metzler 880's on before. and it handled REALLY bad. however they had 17000 miles on them. i also road my buddy's 07 and i agree, it handles MUCH better than my 2000.

One more thing to check - verify the washer on the rear axle is in the correct position relative to the brake mounting bar - on the OUTSIDE of the rear brake caliper bracket. Occasionally someone puts them on the inside.

Goose

• 5 years later...

I have an 01 as well, and I noticed having to "push" it into turns.

Shifts fine, but at times does appear top heavy and bulky.

I have dunlops on mine. I also have 72000 miles on it.

You DONT "horse" this big guy around. It too says, "Be careful old man"

These are lazy motors and dont like being pushed, also you dont want to make rolling stops on it.

It needs to fully stop, then look and see where you need to put it.

Last minute crazy manuevers are not recommended. Get it in a straight line tho and run it

like a raped ape thru the gears. It loves to rev!...that is this one's forte anyhoo.

That, and about as comfy as anything I've ever rode.

Looks great tho, and totally stock no mods

http://www.timemachinewatch.com/185/rsv2.JPG

Yep, that's what I say. Swapped out the OEM Bridgestones for a set of Avon Venom's ) over a year and no cracking issues) and could't believe the change in handling. anybody ever call a venture "Nimble"? That's what the venoms did for me.

Second on the "who dug this old thread up"?

dont but glad they did , i have a 2001 also , had lowering kit when i bought , found handling was better when set back to normal ,also a big change going to micheln commander 2 tires , bike was still a little top heavy till i changed front tire size , now does twistys like a dream , 140 - 160 kmh on the open hiway is not as smooth , but in town is way way way better :) my 3 cents worth or nickels worth since we dont use pennies anymore in canuck land :):mustache: