i have a 1983 venture with transmission problems it started under hard acceleration in second gear it made a loud rattling noise then stopped. then started occasional vibaration and metallic clunking noises.through the left footrest and feels like it wants to lock up.it selects all the gears clean and precise i have checked the diff prop shaft and middle gear and cant see anything wrong.I think i may be looking at a clutch problem any ideas ? would be much a appreciated cheers chas.

Oh no, the dreaded 2nd gear rises again!! Depending on your mechanical aptitude, it's an easy fix but you gotta pull the motor. If you can pull the motor, you can fix the tranny. Do what George said and check the threads, I've got one on there, just did mine.

Dan

BTW, don't forget to ask questions!!!

:sign yeah that:

These guys are correct and several of us have rebuilt our transmissions. Just do a search and you will find about anything you want. Your discription doesn't really match the usual symtoms on the early end of the problem, so how long have you had the bike? It sounds like you are more into the late stages.

Any questions you have, we will try to work you thru them. Just keep us posted.

Good luck.

RandyA

I have just completed the 2nd gear repair that is posted on my '83. Like yours, mine was also making the clunk noise which I believe is caused by the worn retainers. The bike works great. Good luck and let me know if you have questions. Tim