OK folks, before I tear the bike apart, I could use some advice. The patient is an 89 MkII that is new to me. Three different time I've had the bike die will running at highway speeds. The power down is sudden, and complete, no sputtering as if fuel was running out, more like the kill switch was hit. Once I've pulled the bike over, the starter has not wanted to spin, and I've heard and electrical "crackling" from under the false cover. If the bike is allowed to sit and cool down, it will happily start and run, at least until it gets hot. The first manifestation was at the end of a 150+ mile run with some GoldWing folks on Memorial Day, and then earlier in the week on the way back from the son's soccer game across town.

Other symptom is a bad neutral switch. Thought I was stranded on the GW ride when the bike wouldn't turn over at all until I put the side stand up. Neutral indicators don't like to work well when the bike gets warm, work much better when the bike is cold.

I've replaced the battery cables (about time, kinda like the cobbler's kids not having shoes!) and currently suspect two separate problems.

First problem is the starting issue, and I'm thinking either bad solenoid (electrical "crackling" noise) or gummed up starter that doesn't like being hot.

Could a bad sidestand switch be my culprit? I'm thinking about cleaning it out and possibly fitting a telltale light to the circuit to show that it is or is not working.

Thoughts from the collective? (We are Venturers of Borg, you will be assimilated!)

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. Sorry for the StarTrek joke, I'm a SciFi geek at heart!

A new Side Stand switch and a new Fuse Panel might be the Way to go.

Of Course, the starting Issue could easily be the Starter Solenoid also. The slow neutral Switch handlich seems more a Wireing/ Connector Problem than the Switch itself. Since all your Problems seem to be heat related, check and clean all relevant Connectors.

Yah, I agree with Squeeze, especially when you mentioned you heard "crackling sounds" from under the false tank. I strongly recommend replacing the fuse block (do a search on the subject, lotsa good info here) and go from there. When you replaced the battery cables I assume you upgraded to the larger guage wires. The only other upgrade I suggest is the Odessy battery for hot starting issues, but your problem sounds more like a corroded fuse connection...

Sounds like something electrical, could be a joint, or maybe a primary wire to the coil. Could also be the coil or coils, I don't know much about a MKII, does it have one coil or a coil for each cylinder?

Four individual coils. Don't suspect them, since there are four and the bikes doesn't sputter, just dies. Will add to the list though.

Thanks!

Paul

A new Side Stand switch and a new Fuse Panel might be the Way to go.

Of Course, the starting Issue could easily be the Starter Solenoid also. The slow neutral Switch handlich seems more a Wireing/ Connector Problem than the Switch itself. Since all your Problems seem to be heat related, check and clean all relevant Connectors.

Should have mentioned that I have replaced the main fuse block with spades. Been stranded before by old barrel fuses.

Will start the disconnection, cleaning, di-electric process once the grad stuff is done.

Thanks!

Paul

Yah, I agree with Squeeze, especially when you mentioned you heard "crackling sounds" from under the false tank. I strongly recommend replacing the fuse block (do a search on the subject, lotsa good info here) and go from there. When you replaced the battery cables I assume you upgraded to the larger guage wires. The only other upgrade I suggest is the Odessy battery for hot starting issues, but your problem sounds more like a corroded fuse connection...

Yeah, I forgot to mention I have already upgrade the fuses, sorry about that. I will double check the battery connections, could well have missed tightening one down.

Yep, larger gauge wires. I took over that gig from Squidley.

The battery is an AGM, but I have another one in an 84, will change that out and see what shakes out.

Thanks for the input!

Paul