IGNORED

2006 venture air shocks

Guest fattboy

Guest fattboy

Hey Everyone....

Got A Problem With My Air Shock On My Venture....need A Hand Pump They Say To Fill It, Cause It Suspose To Have Less Than A Pound Of Air In Them....cant Seem To Find A Pump That Will Fit The Valve Steam....gotta Be A Screw On The Bike Pump Wont Work....

Also Is The Shock Covered Under Yamaha 5 Year Warrenty?????

Thanks...

Also Just How Much Air With They Hold Before You Blow The Seal...

Fatts

First off the shocks are covered under warranty. They can be ridden without air in them. The rear shock air pressure is for setting the preload and the fronts can help with better handling. If I am correct in thinking the rear takes up to 45lbs and the front 7lbs each. I could be wrong. For the front shocks you need a low pressure hand pump like this one.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=42&Category_ID=14&manufacturer_ID=39&product_ID=5364

I believe you can use this on the rear shock also. If you use a bicycle pump on the front shocks you will blow the seals.

DO NOT USE A HIGH PRESSURE PUMP on any of the shocks.

You can use a regular bicycle hand pump for the rear shock. I'm talking the one that you use in your hands not the foot/hand pump type.

Unless you have oil leaking out of the rear shock or oil on the bottom the chances are the shock is still good. Unless you bought it used and they cleaned it up before selling. You will know if the shock is bad, it will be hard to keep your line though a corner. Plus it will be bumpy after crossing rail road tracks.

Yes the shocks are covered by the warranty, but if you look at pages 3-17 for the forks and page 3-18 for the rear shock, you will see tables that list soft, standard and hard spring rates.

Overall the pressures are:

Front: 0-7.1 PSI

Rear 0-57 PSI

[quote name="

Owners Manual"] CAUTION: Never exceed the maximum air pressure, otherwise the oil seal may become damaged.

If you don't have an owners manual, you can download it for FREE along with the service manual from the VR Tech section of the forum.

Guest fattboy

Thanks For The Insite On The Shocks And Forks.....the Bike Service Manual That I Bought The Shop Manual, Says That The Front F0rks Only Hold 0.06pounds Of Air And The Rear 0.07 Pounds Of Air....now I Might Be Looking At This Wrong...but Iam Taking It As 6 Tenths And 7 Tenths Of A Lb Of Air...???

Ordered The Pump From Dennis Kirk...50.00 Bucks....just The Ticket...i Can Tell You The Rear Is Leaking Down Due To The R/r Tracks And Pot Holes....

So Just How Much Air Is Safe To Put Into The Forks And Shocks...

Thanks Guys And Gals

Fatt Boy Michael

Guest BluesLover

I use the Progressive air pump, and have 7 in the front, and about 40 in the rear (most of my riding on the 06 RSV is 2-up).

For the front, I've got the kit for linking the two front valves together, but just haven't had the time to hook it up.

Cheers,

0.06pounds Of Air And The Rear 0.07 Pounds Of Air....now I Might Be Looking At This Wrong...but Iam Taking It As 6 Tenths And 7 Tenths Of A Lb Of Air...???

Fatt Boy Michael

Michael,

To be correct you would be looking at 6 hundredths and 7 hundredths of a pound per square inch of air pressure, not tenths. You need to do a sanity check when you use the Yamaha manuals to their unit conversions. For instance, they state the front shock can hold from 0 to 50 Kilo Pascals (Kpa), and the conversion given in the shop manual is 0 to .07 pounds per square inch (psi). And the rear shock can hold 0 to 400 Kpa (8 times that of the front) but the conversion is 0 to .06 psi (which is less than the front). So you need to make sure those conversions make sense before you apply them.