IGNORED

remove baffles-HOW???

big mike

I recently have purchased R/K mufflers and after asking some questions on this site and getting some great feedback I decided to put them on the bike to listen to how they sound. They are a much deeper tone than the stock mufflers however they are also quieter than the stock because the stock ones have had work done to them. I love the deep exhaust note that I get with the R/K mufflers but would like them to be much louder. Is there a way to remove some baffles without hurting the cans. As of now you can look down through the center of the mufflers with about a 1 to 1-1/2 inch hole straight through. However (what I am assuming are baffles) are around the hole and deadening the sound. Has anyone ever removed some or most of these successfully or will I create problems in the pipes or on the bike from this???:think:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup2:

Thanks,

Big Mike

Guest JMAC71

Mike,

The baffles you are referring to are held in with round disk. You should be able to see these when you look down in the pipe from the inlet end. I was able to knock these disk loose from the baffles and then twisted and pulled the baffles out. So basically once yoiu do this, you have the pipe open from the inlet end. There were three stages of these baffles in mine. I took out the first two stages and left the last one in. I then drilled holes in the plates at the outlet end, back of bike, so that more sound could come out. They sound great and are pretty loud. I am going to ride it a lil and see how I like it. I still may take out the last stage of baffles if I want it louder. I will have to wait and see. If you knock the round disk loose from the baffles and the inside of the pipe, it makes if pretty loud. Has a nice sound. I have two Harley lover friends and they say they really like the way mine sounds better than their Ultra and Soft tail. Hope this helps.

Jerry

Baffles?

With the stock R/K slashcut muffler there are two little half dollar size plates that section off a single baffle really. A lot of use are drilling out those little plates to make it a straigh through shot. BUT the Baffle its self though I have never seen anyone remove it. It isn't like alot of aftermarket pipes were there baffle is held in with a screw these are welded in. If someone has removed them please post pictures and how. Thanks everyone

Baffles?

With the stock R/K slashcut muffler there are two little half dollar size plates that section off a single baffle really. A lot of use are drilling out those little plates to make it a straigh through shot. BUT the Baffle its self though I have never seen anyone remove it. It isn't like alot of aftermarket pipes were there baffle is held in with a screw these are welded in. If someone has removed them please post pictures and how. Thanks everyone

I agree, their still there. I think if they were taken out the pipes would have a much different sound.

I've thought about putting a slit in the baffle with a sawsall and then trying to cut it loose with a dremal tool and then twisting them out. But I haven't tried it yet.

Any other ideas?

Jerry

Guest JMAC71

Jerry,

You are on the right page. I don't have pics of mine. Will try to get some. I have a dremel that has a long cable extension to it. Other words you can get in tight places with the exteneded cable extentsion. Mine came from Sears. It ables you to go down in the pipe and cut the baffles. With this and some ingenuity (twisting) you can get the baffles out.

JMAC

I think you would probably destroy the pipes if you actually tried to remove the baffle material out, then it would just be obnoxiously loud

:(

What we call "removing the baffles" is just removing the quarter sized baffle plates that direct the exhaust flow through the baffles. It makes it sound a bit throatier on hard accelleration, but stays reasonably quiet while cruising :happy34:

Jerry,

You are on the right page. I don't have pics of mine. Will try to get some. I have a dremel that has a long cable extension to it. Other words you can get in tight places with the exteneded cable extentsion. Mine came from Sears. It ables you to go down in the pipe and cut the baffles. With this and some ingenuity (twisting) you can get the baffles out.

JMAC

If you can get some pictures that would be great. ARe yours the slashcut RKs?

I think you would probably destroy the pipes if you actually tried to remove the baffle material out, then it would just be obnoxiously loud

:(

What we call "removing the baffles" is just removing the quarter sized baffle plates that direct the exhaust flow through the baffles. It makes it sound a bit throatier on hard accelleration, but stays reasonably quiet while cruising

:happy34:

Hard to say. I know the air is not making it through the muffler without some turbulence.

Maybe that's the reason we don't have to rejet when we put the pipes on.

Anyway I have another set of RK's jut in case I don't like how these sound.

Jerry

Guest JMAC71

Mine are R/K pipes, but are not slash cut. My pipes are the older style. I think like 1998 0r 1999 model. When I got my pipes, you could see all the way through from one end to the other. They had baffles in them but there was like a 1" hole going through the center of them. The baffles were held in with plates (disk) the same size diameter as the inner diameter of the pipes. I took and knocked the first two plates loose from the baffle and the pipe. This was from the inlet end. I then cut the baffles with a dremel and then twisted them loose to get them out. The different stages of baffles were welded in line with each other. They were welded together at about where the disk hold them in. The disk are tack welded to the inside of the pipe. I was able to knock mine loose and did not hurt the pipe at all. I left the last baffle in to avoid the pipes being too loud like straight pipes. I think I will probably let mine alone as they are. I will try to get you some pics. The newer model R/K pipes may be made different, I am not sure. I know my R/k pipes were still not very loud until I removed the first two stages of baffles. They sound pretty good now, but aren't just over bearing loud.

Jerry (JMAC)