IGNORED

Are the VR' slow on throttle down?

Hello All,

I got the tags for my '87 that I have spent about a year off and on redoing. I never rode it, bought it as a project.

I think I have the carbs pretty good, but there is one thing that I noticed, and don't know if this is a characteristic of the Venture or if I need so further adjustment.

When I was riding, when I would pull the clutch and wind off to shift, the RPM's would hang up hi for a little while and not drop right down to shift. Is the throttle response slow on wind off, or do I need to look at something?

Thanks

D

You might want to check and see if the cables need some oiling. The RPMs should drop off fairly quickly. I have had an issue like this and only needed to oil the cables and that loosened them up. You can check this with the left engine side cover off and watch the throttle shaft as you open and release the throttle. They should snap back quickly. Hope this helps. Rick F.

Yeah, what they said. There can also be drag in the throttle housing, where the twist grip turns. It could drag on the bar, but where I've had problems is where the part that the cable connects to turns in it's groove. Grease helps.

Congrats on getting her running!

Jeremy

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I don't think that it is cable related, but more carb related. I really think that when I wind off, the cables are pulling the butterflies shut. I could be wrong, I will analyze further. Probly not today, since we got about 3 inches of snow this morning.

Eventhough, your suggestions for lubing the cable is good, would wd-40 be adequite, or...?

Thanks

D

Well, you can determine pretty easily if it's drag in the cables and twist grip. It is the most common source of these problems. If your throttle is closing and the engine rpm is "floating", check for vacuum leaks.

WD40 is OK, but light. I use DriSlide in cables. It goes in watery through a very thin tube that actually fits inside the cable housing. It dries into a moly paste lube.

Jeremy

I guess I don't think that it is cable related, but more carb related.

Had this problem once before on a different bike. IT was Dirty carbs. Put some seafoam, full can in the tank, and run it. I ran two tanks with seafoam and it cleared up

Brad

Guest jbell

dkaiser i read the post you had last week about your carbs.mine is doing the same thing but out the overflow.we took them out and disassembled them all and cleaned out thouroughly.now they are still spilling gas out them.does this soundlike the problem you was having? if so what did you do to correct it? the gas does not leak out untill i ride it then park it.any info would really be appreciated. thank you jbell:confused24::lightbulb::bang head::sign67:

Hello Jbell

I saw your post too, what I had was different, that was why it was so puzzling to me. Last year I had one running out the overflow hose, I discovered it to be a poorly adjusted float. When I adjusted all of the floats I found that I no longer had that problem

D

Guest jbell

thank you dkaiser i really appreciate the info.i had many responces and they are all leaning towards the float.my only problem is i have no manual.so i guess i will have to find one or order one today.i am not a mechanic so i need to find a manual.anyways hope to see you on here again.and to all the others that helped me out thank you and happy riding.:322:

thank you dkaiser i really appreciate the info.i had many responces and they are all leaning towards the float.my only problem is i have no manual.so i guess i will have to find one or order one today.i am not a mechanic so i need to find a manual.anyways hope to see you on here again.and to all the others that helped me out thank you and happy riding.:322:

Online manual links are avaible for downloading here