IGNORED

Venture gets towed

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

When you post about the car tire gods and motorcycle tire gods...somebody can get offended, I guess...

About 2 hours after posting on this website about tires, I had one go flat on me at 75 mph in Happy Texas....I was NOT happy!

The bike got all crooked feeling, but I got it under control, and rode it into the ditch. I think the tire went flat in about 10 seconds...I had the cruise on, and by the time I knew what was happening, the handling got really bad.

I called Star Service, and they had a wrecker there in about an hour. I had it towed to Sharps Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki in Amarillo, and they put me a shiny new black doughnut on.

The tire had about 4000 miles on it...probably would have gone another 2000-3000 or so, looking at the tread that was left.

Oh well...at least I didnt have an accident trying to get it stopped...it was really getting hard to handle when it came off the rim....I think I'm lucky to be posting here today.

Guest tx2sturgis

What I meant by coming off the rim, is that it actually unseated from the bead..as you can see in the pics...it did stay on the rim, loosely, so no damage was done to the bike.

Of course, with all the rotations that the rim and tire made while unseated, who knows what damage may have been done to the bad tire, with all that weight of the bike on the rim trying to cut thru the rubber while it rolled to a stop.

I have no interest in patching a questionable tire that is already half way to the graveyard, especially with this heavy of a bike and the summer heat coming up soon. So I opened up my wallet and paid the bill.

Star Service picked up $50 of the towing bill....I guess thats better than nothing.

Guest tx2sturgis

Thats the original tire, but it was a Dunlop 404 I believe. I went back with a Dunlop 491 Elite II. We'll see what happens.

Glad you are posting here today. I work in a hospital and see all to often what happens when people aren't as fortunate as you. Glad your ok TX.

After looking at your pics I was wondering if you're running stock pipes or if they are R/K take offs? I have just purchased a set of R/K's that look just like that.

Keep riding safe.:thumbsup2:

Big Mike

Guest tx2sturgis

Thanks Mike...those are the stock pipes. I drilled out the rear cone and baffles, then used a big washer, which I cut a slot in with a grinder, and installed over the center pipe, then used a snap ring to hold it on...you cant move it with your hand, it takes a visegrip or other tool to move it...its pretty solid. It helps the sound to be louder than stock, but helps keep the backpressure about the same as factory for jetting purposes. It also keeps rain and critters out, and looks good too. It could stand to be a bit louder, but its ok as is.

I am on the lookout for some R/K pipes...but I'm in no hurry.

Guest gallantwrider

I had Dunlop 491 Elite II on my older Kawasaki Voyager and I swear by them . The bike stuck to the road like glue, dry or wet, and handled great. Glad to see that you kept it up to ride another day. You have a guardian angel.

Guest tx2sturgis
Wow!! Glad you made it through that OK....one question....didja have to change the seat??:whistling:

You will notice I didnt take any closeups of the seat!

:rotf:

I may have missed something in some other threads on this site on this specific subject, but looking at the pics...did they use ANY of the commonly accepted as appropriate, tie down points to anchor that puppy on the roll-back? Or do I just have my head planted (and no you don't really have to answer that)

Guest tx2sturgis
I may have missed something in some other threads on this site on this specific subject, but looking at the pics...did they use ANY of the commonly accepted as appropriate, tie down points to anchor that puppy on the roll-back? Or do I just have my head planted (and no you don't really have to answer that)

Pictures can be deceiving...I admit these guys were not very knowledgeable about hauling bikes. I had to help them out quite a bit.

We rolled the front tire onto a motorcycle dolly, and then used those short soft double loop straps to attach the lower triple clamp to a ratchet strap, and secured the bike to the dolly. Then they used the winch to pull the dolly (with the bike attached) slowly onto the deck.

When it was in place and the deck was level, they attached the straps to the saddlebag tipover bars (NOT the trim rails!) and over the rear seat and then down to the d-rings on the deck. They also attached straps to the rear trunk stanchions, but these were not tightened down too much. The straps loose ends were wrapped around the trunk rack, but only temporarily. Everything was pretty secure when we rolled out. Of course the dolly was strapped to the deck also. There were 6 points of securement, all at structural points on the bike. I assisted with the loading, and supervised the strapping operation.

I have hauled heavy touring bikes on trailers before, and have an idea of what works and what doesnt....but you know, at first, they were trying to hook the straps to the forward turnsignals stalks!!...I told the guys...nope...lets attach to the lower triple clamp. The rest of it they kinda figured out.

When I called Star Service, I told them the closest Yamaha dealer was Sharps. Thinking Sharps would have a trailer to come retrieve the bike, with knowledgeable staff too. I guess I'm spoiled by the way the Harley dealers do things. They dont call a tow truck. They show up with an enclosed motorcycle trailer and the ramps and straps to do it right. I have never needed to be hauled when riding my Ultra, but I have seen it done many times. Professional all the way. You get to ride in a nice newer model 4 door pickup normally on the way to the shop. On this occasion, I had to squeeze between two tow truck drivers into that little seat in the truck. None of us are small guys, and this wasnt a lot of fun.

Oh well...its all just a memory now. Good thing. I'm ready to ride now!

I got in about 350-400 miles this weekend....got to ride with flb_78...he showed me his car tire equipped Venture...pretty cool!

All in all, another good weekend of ridin, partyin, and photo takin!

Guest tx2sturgis
Glad your ok tx. It's never a nice feeling when a tire goes down.

Margaret

Youre right about that. I've had this happen about 5 times on street bikes...but I have to say, the Venture was the hardest bike to control during the semi-controlled stop.

Part of this may be that fact that it is a very heavy machine...but also, since the rear wheel is so easy to lockup, I was very careful to use almost NO rear brake, only enough to 'match' the engine compression braking.

I applied enough front brake to help me stop, but I didnt want to 'unload' the rear, since it was wobbling badly. I was running solo, but I had my packed T-bag on the bike too. All this happened in under 10-12 seconds or so...not much time to make decisions.

Thanks babe...take care.

Guest tx2sturgis

Yes they circled the hole, just for me to look at...there was nothing in that hole when the wrench took it off the wheel...I'm guessing that whatever made the hole worked its way back out of the tire...either out the tread side, or, out the gaps that were between the bead and the rim during the stopping manuever. Its a mystery to me...either way, its old news now. I left the tire at the dealer for them to deal with.

Wow Glad you were able to keep it up right. I saw Swifty's tire go flat and he looked like he had a fun ride, HE also kept it up.

His tire never broke the bead. We got a plug in it and was able to travel home.

BRad

MAN!!!!

every time i read one of these "almost horror stories", i think - - -it could be a lot worse, glad it went soooo well for you!

just goes to show you, you never know, when or how, or how quickly things can go from GREAT to OH S#!&!@!!!

just jt

Guest tx2sturgis
I should of had ya take some pics or taken a little video of me on the tire.

Well you know, we can arrange that next time I'm up there...I know you have a camera, but I have that RAM mount, and we may be able to hang a cam under the bike...get some video of whats happening under there...

Hey dude...hope you had a good time, and me and my friends didnt scare you too much!

:)

I may have mentioned I'm doing some photos for local bands there, and I have one band that wants me to meet them in Pampa for a shoot in 2 weeks...so...maybe a ride up there will be in order.

(Correction: They are playing in Pampa on May 3rd)