IGNORED

Also looking at new bikes

rek58

Hello all, New to the group, so let me introduce myself. From Massachusetts, been riding for 20 + years and except for one minor detour, been riding Yamahas the whole time. At present I own a 2000 Roadstar (which has been great) but I'm looking to get back into the full dresser thing again. All the guys I ride with have HD Electra Glides, so I'm their token Japanese bike guy. Personally I've never really bought into the whole HD bike thing, as far as I'm concerned, if you're on two wheels, you're ok with me. But anyways, back to the subject at hand. I'm looking at a couple of different options, first being the RSV. I'm very happy that they've come back out with the Black Cherry again this year, love that color. The one thing I do like about my current bike is the sound, not that it's a crucial factor in my decision, I do like the rumble I get (V&H straightshots will do that for you). I'm not really concerned on the comfort factor, I think once you make the move to this type of motorcycle (regardless of make), that's built into it. Obviously there might be some little differences but for the most part all these bikes are made for riding long distances. I've also looked at the HD, like the fact that they have a bigger engine and gas tank now and a 6 speed tranny. On my friends bikes (01 & 02) it seems like I was sitting with my face in the windshield, the new '08 isn't like that, they've changed the seating a bit. The other bike I've been looking at is the Victory Vision. I'm very impressed with this bike. It is a little different looking (to say the least), but it has a much loweer center of gravity that anything else I've looked at and it really handles fantastic at slow speeds. Just wondering if any of you folks have seen these bikes and what you think. I've spoken with Victory owners and they all love their bikes. As always price is a consideration and I think you get the most bang for your buck with the Yamaha. But I also don't mind spending a few extra dollars if if I'm getting something of value in return. So if anyone has any opinions, please feel free to express them, I am looking for feedback. Thanks for your time and sorry for rambling on. Stay safe!

Guest Saddletramp

rek58, welcome to the group. I hope you are as pleased with the knowledge and opinions exhibited here as I am. As far as bike choices and comparing the RSV to a HD. I sat on the HD and rode a tour classic b4 I made up my mind to have a RSV. The biggest draw back that I had against the HD was leg room. I stand 6-1 with a 36 inch inseam and was uncomfortable on the Harley. The Venture fit me better than any other cruiser or touring bike that I sat on. The second was price, and the third was dealer availability in respect to my home address. I haven't owned my Venture long enough to give a complete and honest opinion on it but have seen many with considerable more miles than mine has. I haven't heard to much complaining of reliability or mecanical problems either. You came to right site for opinions and views on the Venture.

As much as I Love my RSV,if you REALLY like the Thumper sound forget it on the RSV..The closest I can get to describing the sound even with aftermarket pipes is that of a Chevy V8 with glasspacks. I cam off of a Road Star and it is a whole other bike,Heavier and takes a little getting use to but after you get use to it you will never look back(Unless you like that thumper sound that much). The RSV DOES have a characteristic whine from gears/clutch basket but some it bothers others it does not. For the buck its the best you will buy. Tom

There are only 5 true full dressers, RSV, Harley Tour Glide, Goldwing, BMW 1200LT, and the new Victory. Test ride them all. The RSV was the most comfortable for me, cheapest and best warranty to boot. But I think I could have been happy on the Wing or the BMW also. The wife thought the BMW had the most comfortable passenger seat, but as long as she was not uncomfortable I was OK with it :whistling:

If it wasn't for her I would be on an FJ1300 or a Guzzi Breva. But since I moved to a full dress, not sure I could go back.

I like the best of both worlds. I have my loud Suzuki M109r for bar hopping and shorter rides.

I don't want a loud pipe if I'm going any distance. I rode 3,000 miles in 4 days on my RSV no mechanical problems, no sore back ,no sore arms or wrists and no ringing ears.

If you buy the Vtwin you will put loud pipes on it. I would.

My brother bought an 07 Goldwing and after riding it a few times I still prefer my RSV, its more comfortable in my opinion. Seems to me its a big bike made for small people. (I'm small)

If you love your V-twin sound, you're going to hate the Venture.

If you love the sound of a V-8 engine, you'll love the Venture with Baron's bagger or 4-2-4 pipes.

If you want your V-twin sound, get a Roadliner and add a Corbin Fairing on it. Then all your Harley buddies will be drooling on your rice-burner. Then leave em in the dust with 113 cubic inches.

http://www.fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.poster.jpg&mode=mediumhttp://www.fxstein.com/blog/resserver.php?blogId=1&resource=fxliner.jpg&mode=medium

REK58, I'm from Mass. too, what town you live in. I love my venture, I'm tall and it fits me fine. I do 150 mile trips all the time, and have done 1 to 2 week trips and it handles the trips great. HD's never seem to fit me, looked at vision but never got a chance to ride one, the dealers do have a test ride program i'll do it some day. I got my ride cause money was a issue at the time, but I'm really happy I went venture, its great. This site is a wealth of knowledge too. Have met a couple of other riders here, great people. May do the canada ride-in in july, will do americade in june, hope to meet you , I know everyone welcomes you to ventureriders.org, stop by often if you can.

Hi Rob welcome to the group... I like you am very impressed with the Vision and applaud Victory for thinking outside the box... Then I demoed a Vision at Daytona Bike Week and was very disappointed in the leg room.. I'm 6'3" and legroom to me is important... It's very similar to a Ultra Glide as far as legroom goes.. But I did feel more "in" it compared to sitting "on" a HD.

If you're an average sized guy the Vision might be for you.. For me I'll keep my RSV with the comfort and ability to do 25k + miles again this year.

Good Luck